Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

amiga, mordesku, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: abi v.0 night builds

Group:
the "pause" is there as of current. as you see almost none commits anything. other than that i dont think it is a good idea to try to restrict the an ongoing progress. what would be gained by that, even if some users could switch from something they are used to (abi v0) to something experimental (abi v1) for half a year.

Posted on: 11/8 2:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Norway
Group:
Nothing need to be paused. If a version (a given night build) is choosen by me for AspireOS that is what it is until I decide to update it to a later night build.
This version could then be used by developers who compile programs etc. and it would not be incompatible with whatever happends with night builds.

Partly why this is needed is cause noone does beta test anything by now and lots are broken. This I know from history with abi v.0.
Just as you might notice in another thread AROS abi v.1 64 does not install to usb-drive but it works good with abi v.1 32-bit.
In Abi v.1 32-bit (not been able to test with 64-bit) wi-fi is not working and the same with IntelGMA 3D.
Every time I took some time away from AROS and came back lots where broken and I needed to report to developers like Neil and Deadwood to get it fixed.
I'm not a developer but as important is there to people to beta test and report back to developers if we like something usefull. Most developers does not use AROS native. They develop with Linux with AROS hosted.

Posted on: 11/8 13:13

Group:
i have discovered that simply testing and reporting may not deliver enough motivation for remaining developers to invest their spare time, especially in particular hardware issues. it might be neccessary to start messing with the code yourself, alas, at least a bit;)

Posted on: 11/8 13:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Norway
Group:
wawa: That is not right. Sure developers can not use lot's of time fixing something for some specific hardware when it works elsewhere. This is why you need beta testers.
If 1 say it is not working and 3 say it is working then it is difficult or if something is not working that never was working. Then I agree with you.
If something elemetary got broken like installing AROS it needs to be fixed. If not AROS is useless. The faster this kind of problems get noticed the more easy it is for a system developer to go back and see what got broken.

Posted on: 11/8 14:15

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]