Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: AROS BMP Picture DataType

From Ireland
Group:
@miker

Thanks for you work on this. Although there are standalone compilers for compiling AROS programs (running on AROS, Linux, and maybe Windows), you're less likely to encounter weird problems if you build the source tree under Linux (this creates the necessary compilers). This is especially true when developing system components, such as datatypes. We don't really have the manpower at the moment to support multiple development environments.

If you don't already run Linux and don't want to dedicate a machine to it, you can run Linux in a virtual machine on top of Windows. Ubuntu is probably the distribution that's been tested most for compiling AROS. Linux-hosted AROS is also the easiest environment to test AROS software in most cases.

Posted on: 11/27 14:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: AROS BMP Picture DataType

From California, United States
Group:
Thanks for the information. After I get finished with writing the Save_ILBM function for IFF Datatype I may be able to consider setting up an Ubuntu Linux environment inside VirtualBox for compiling. I hadn't thought of that.

I have VirtualBox and I have the install disk for Ubuntu.

As far as the Save_ILBM function, I'm very close for 8bpl and below. For the ILBM images of 8 bitplanes and below I'm using a new technique to Copy from Bitplanes of the planar bitmap (bm) which works well. I was having some issue while trying to save an ILBM with 8 bitplanes because I assumed the planar bitmap always has 8 planes for 8 bits and below. That's true, but if we open a 5 bpl ILBM file only 5 of the 8 planes will contain valid data. The rest can be discarded. Once I figured that out I was able to jump right into saving an ILBM with 5 bitplanes. That's were I am now. I'm writing the bitplanes directly to the output file.

for(y = 0; y < imageHeight; y++)
{
for(p = 0; p < numplanes; p++)
{
src = bm->Planes[p] + y * bytesPerRow;

WriteBytes(fileHandle, src, offset, bytesPerRow);
offset += bytesPerRow;
}
}

Update:
SaveBitpmapPic is coming along nicely! I can now open any 8bit image file such as BMP, GIF, PNG using Picture DataTypes and then save as ILBM with 8 bitplanes. I can also open 4,5,6,7 bitplane ILBM's and save as 4,5,6,7 bitplane ILBM's. That's an accomplishment! The method I'm using as I stated above is "CopyFromBitplanes".

My reasoning was that once the BMHD and ColorMap were written to file, the easiest way to write the planar data for the BODY was to copy from the bitplanes of the bitmap. It seems to work well enough. I will do some cleanup and then commit the change for SaveBitmapPic. After that I will start writing SaveRGBPic which is similar but it will save ILBM Deep Images of 24, 32 bitplanes. Maybe I can find a way for Picture DataTypes to save HAM8 images as well? That would be a nice feature.

Posted on: 11/27 16:51

Edited by miker on 2017/11/28 14:58:29
Edited by miker on 2017/11/28 14:59:58
Edited by miker on 2017/11/28 15:05:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.