Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

quake and such..

Group:
im looking at different aros contribs under the aspect of compileability with newer gcc versions, for abi v1 and new platforms such as amiga-m68k. in this context id like to ask if anyone still has the aros quake port from contribs running. i dont seem to get it to work with quake 1.06 shareware data.. tells me something about it cant find some gfx/pop.lmp and then gfx.wad and quits. same on x86 as on 68k. maybe something is wrong with pak0.pak i have in my id1 subfolder, its quake 1.06 shareware data, so i dont know why its wrong..

other than that i thought the port might be at least partly updated with work of frank wille on amiga version or bszili (fuhquake?)

similarly i could look at adding some amiga optimisations and features to doom port, that unnecessarily contains warpup code. its based on, but will never be used as aros doesnt support that platform.

this of course should not affect x86 and such negatively, thats assured.

Posted on: 11/15 22:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: quake and such..

Group:
@wawa

Did you take a look on BSzili's Aros-Ports here?
http://bszili.morphos.me/

Posted on: 11/15 23:23

Group:
isnt that, what i have mentioned above, fuhquake? i suspect it might have rendered the old aros quake port from contribs obsolete by now.

Posted on: 11/16 18:23

Group:
I thought fuhquake is a good port. It has some good visuals, in my opinion compared to Quake GL.

Posted on: 11/17 7:38

Group:
i have had 5minutes read through, which leads me to assumption if not conclusion, that fukquake incorporates gl backend (most probably based on glquake) and, alternatively - software rasterizer, which is effectively a framebuffer, whatever it is called.

anyway, amiga optimisations should be implemented within ifdefs in framebuffer/software backend only when m86k target is generated. other than that gl api could/should be used, which is provided by mesa 7.x port for aros, be it hardware accelerated or not, doesnt matter in this context, it can even be eanbled on 68k within uae, if not on real hardware for lack of speed and required memory foortprint for softpipe.

what i dont like so much about fuhquake is the separate executables (apparently). id prefer some sort of "fat binary".

still waiting for hints how i get the genuine aros port of quake working, at least for comparison...

might not stop me to try to implement improvements, would be though good, to have working starting point, not to do it blindly.

Posted on: 11/17 9:19

Group:
okay, identified the issue with not finding the pak files and fixed it based on quake 2.3 port source from aminet.
also fixed endianness issue, so it loads now on amiga as well. ill be trying to improve upon it while keeping the port as versatile as possible, based on the work of talents of the community, who paved the way.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 15:21

Group:
looks like i hit the wall here. surface cache size doesnt seem to be recognized properly even though it appears to be initialized ok around 600k. spent some time to find out where it fails, but so far cant find a cause, need to take step back probably while doing somethng else.

Posted on: 2017/12/9 11:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]