Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Disk info

From Sweden
Group:
So, I've spent a couple of hours trying to get Aros/Icaros to install on an old pc. I first tried with an SSD but that seemed to be evil so I found an old IDE disk instead.
I booted in Linux live, wiped all partitions, created a single FAT32 and went into Aros to install.
The IDE is there, but I cannot wipe it since I get "Error 100" from the installer.
Is there any smart commands to give me some more info? HDToolbox only tells me ata.device has 1 unit, no more.

Regards

Posted on: 11/18 4:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Disk info

From Sweden
Group:
Yippiie, it worked, when I removed the evil IDE again and went with SSD/SATA, it got identified as unit 6 at once and the install went on. Something seem weird to me but.. who cares

Posted on: 11/18 5:32

Group:
Quote:
elwis wrote:
I booted in Linux live, wiped all partitions, created a single FAT32 and went into Aros to install.
The IDE is there, but I cannot wipe it since I get "Error 100" from the installer.

Assuming you can use the whole HD (e.g. no harm done when everything on it is lost):
- Boot AROS from CD/DVD/USB
- Launch installAROS, follow directions from the installer
- On the first screen with options, make sure correct device and unit number is specified and select the option wipe disk. Don't forget to specify a size for your AROS partition.
- continue installing, following instructions.
- When ask to reboot, let the machine reboot.
- launch InstallAros again, follow instructions again. When asked on which disk to install _now_ select use existing partition(s).
- proceed installation with following the instruction from the install program.

Above is also mentioned in the Icaros Desktop User Manual, page 21, Chapter 2: installation.

If you are planning on running AROS native on your machine wanting to use a fat32 partition then please don't: it is a waste of time.

Posted on: 11/18 5:33

From Sweden
Group:
Howdy, yep it worked at last. I can't remember having this trouble with my other two machines, maybe the BIOS settings were screwed up or something but as soon as I got rid of the lousy IDE it identifed my SSD and everything went back to normal.
My original question was about how to identify units in AROS, since my memory is exceptionally weak regarding non-bash shell commands.
I could acces my IDE and I was able to create files and folders but.. the installer loathed this device for sure, I tried unit numbers 0-3 but in vain. Weird

Posted on: 11/18 5:51

Group:
Sorry as i've seem to have missed the question.

Quote:
elwis wrote:
My original question was about how to identify units in AROS, since my memory is exceptionally weak regarding non-bash shell commands.

hmz, no idea about a commandline that would be able to show all that you need to know.

I use HD-toolbox to be able to determine what partition is located on what unit and what filesystem a partition is using.

You could also use partition tools for other platforms, in order to get an overview of your partitions/filesystems and then try to locate them with HD-toolbox (in case HD-toolbox alone would be too cryptic).

Posted on: 2017/12/4 7:55

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
Quote:
My original question was about how to identify units in AROS, since my memory is

Can identify units in AROS with Scoout ;)

Attach file:

jpg  Scout.jpg (215.56 KB)
3226_5a2583d3762e7.jpg 1036X842 px

Posted on: 2017/12/4 9:20

Group:
Quote:

amiga wrote:

Can identify units in AROS with Scoout ;)

Me too... The installer sometimes selects the wrong boot unit on a new installation. So now I can check with scout, Thanks

Posted on: 2017/12/4 15:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]