Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

10 YEARS OF ICAROS DESKTOP

Group:
It's difficult to believe... but Icaros Desktop is now 10 years old! It's been a very long journey I shared with all of you, so I decided to bring back to memory all the most important events which happened in the meanwhile. I needed four days to write today's post, so it will be a very long one to read. So relax, have a hot coffee and head to...

http://vmwaros.blogspot.it/2017/11/10-years-of-icaros-desktop.html

Enjoy!

Posted on: 11/23 14:02

Re: 10 YEARS OF ICAROS DESKTOP

Group:
Hi,

Thanks, a good read and for all the work that has gone into it over the years.

It's great that AROS can do so much in Amiga terms.

Jeff

Posted on: 11/23 18:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
Ciao Paolo, ho notato che su Aminet hai recensito IcarosDesktop 2.2.1 ma non era già uscita a Giugno scorso, in questa è cambiato qualcosa?

-----------------------------------------

Ciao Paolo, i noticed that on Aminet you reviewed IcarosDesktop 2.2.1 but had not left in June last, something has changed in this?

Posted on: 11/23 18:16

From California, United States
Group:
Thank you Paolo,

That is a very enlightening and informative narrative about the evolution of Icaros Desktop and a record of all the hard work that you have put into it. Personally, I prefer using Icaros Desktop on a regular basis. Mostly for testing and dreaming up things I'd like to change to make it better, more appealing, and even more useful.

Icaros Desktop reminds me very much of it's predecessor, Amiga OS 3.x which over the years has engendered many other such Amiga-like OSes. Although Icaros Desktop is rooted in the past, like a strong tree it has a sturdy trunk and many branches, literally and figuratively. Icaros is the route to the future, but it still embraces the past. With Icaros specifically, and AROS in general there is an opportunity to do great things that the original Amiga designers never imagined when the Lorraine breadboard prototypes became the Amiga 1000!

Using Icaros Desktop as a starting point, software developers have a chance to maintain ties to the past for reasons of nostalgia for people like me, and for compatibility. But at the same time Icaros is a bridge that allows the future to meet the past by bringing modern features to an Amiga-like OS. There is the traditional Amiga-like way to do things and then there is the modern way to do things. Within Icaros Desktop these old and new methods are not mutually exclusive, rather they co-exist within the integrated framework of the operating system, and Icaros Desktop truly is an operating system. AROS itself is a barebones framework that is a part of that operating system. But all the added tools and all the scripts and 3rd party apps in Icaros Desktop make it very appealing to new users and its preservation of it's Amiga roots is appealing to old Amiga users like me! Thanks again, Paolo, for all your hard work and dedication to making Icaros Desktop what it is today! You're doing really great things with it!

Posted on: 11/24 1:29

Group:
This is amazing reading.
Thank you for your very nice summary and your 10-year devoted work.

Posted on: 11/24 1:42

Group:
Hi Miker

Quote:

miker wrote:
But at the same time Icaros is a bridge that allows the future to meet the past by bringing modern features to an Amiga-like OS. There is the traditional Amiga-like way to do things and then there is the modern way to do things. Within Icaros Desktop these old and new methods are not mutually exclusive, rather they co-exist within the integrated framework of the operating system, and Icaros Desktop truly is an operating system. AROS itself is a barebones framework that is a part of that operating system. But all the added tools and all the scripts and 3rd party apps in Icaros Desktop make it very appealing to new users and its preservation of it's Amiga roots is appealing to old Amiga users like me! Thanks again, Paolo, for all your hard work and dedication to making Icaros Desktop what it is today! You're doing really great things with it!

Well put. I'd say your motivating words are heart-touching and perfectly fit my intentions with Icaros. You perfectly understood how 'pieces' are put in our distribution: not only a software collection, but a software collection where may things work together to get a precise result. Thank you so much, and enjoy Icaros.

Posted on: 11/24 3:25

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Huge congratulations on reaching this milestone! Icaros plays such a vital role in making AROS a truly useable system and I don't think its role in advancing AROS can be overstated. Many, many congratulations.

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. It's really good to have summarised the 10-year history of Icaros, and along with that the history of AROS development in this time.

Posted on: 11/24 10:14

Edited by ntromans on 2017/11/26 3:14:38

Group:
Congratulations.

Posted on: 11/25 9:18

Group:
congrats

Posted on: 11/25 18:12

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Congrats Paolone and a very happy birthday to Icaros Desktop!

If it wasn't for the release of Icaros Desktop 2.0 a few years ago I would have remained completely unaware of AROS, and the fact that the Amiga scene still exists!

Thanks to that discovery I've launched back into the world of Amiga after a 20+ year absence. The old A500 has come out of the roof, a Vampirised A2000 now sits on my desk and a dedicated AROS machine (running Icaros) is hooked up beneath.

It's already been a lot of fun, a lot of hours, and if my wife sees this post she may want to have stern words with you ;)

Thanks again to you and the whole team who make it possible.

Posted on: 11/26 1:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.