Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

m0ns00n, cavemann, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Testing AROS abi v.1 32-bit

From Norway
Group:
Just a little report from trying out latest night build.

Boot from CD all good. Installed to usb storage device just fine.

Problem booting from usb-storage device. All I could see was GRUB in the left upper corner and a blinking cursor to the side of it.

I booted from CD again and selected mode and when started to load I took out the CD and AROS loaded from USB storage device.

After boot it seamed fine running native gfx. Intelgma. 3D does not work hardware accellerated. I tried the VESA demos.

I could not get online. Something wrong there using atheros5000.device. It does not scan for wi-fi networks. Shows nothing. I know this is working with abi v.0 on same laptop.

Posted on: 1/11 14:50

Re: Testing AROS abi v.1 32-bit

From Ireland
Group:
Thanks for testing. I was going to look at some of these problems, but I think I might have to look at the boot failures that occur on many machines first (e.g. my AspireOne A110).

Posted on: 1/15 12:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Norway
Group:
Thx Neil. You are the best. Just message me if you need me to test something.

Posted on: 1/15 14:59

Group:
Could it be the future 32bit version of AROS? abi v.1 needs to compile everything for it, compiler included. Is it right? Ok, another question: is it 2038 year bug free? Sorry, but i think this is a big problem, 20 years are very few... Why does not include a solution like some BSD's had made? Now is easy to do, i hope.

Posted on: 1/16 3:09

Group:
Quote:

Pasquale wrote:
Could it be the future 32bit version of AROS? abi v.1 needs to compile everything for it,

things that are port of aros contribs and ports can and are being recompiled almost any thime. whatever source in aros archives that can be compiled against aros build system (i.e. contains mmakefile.src) can be usually recompiled or should be easy to fix.

Quote:
compiler included. Is it right?

native compiler and a good part of the toolchain is available in developer subdir. if it can succesfuly compile the whole aros, i dont know and has probably long not been tested, but might otherwise be enogh for a smaller project. other than that its easy to setup anc compile cross compiler toolchain on linux.

Quote:

Ok, another question: is it 2038 year bug free? Sorry, but i think this is a big problem, 20 years are very few...

seems so, but are you sure in twenty years, there will be amiga and aros fans alive?

Posted on: 1/16 4:48

From Norway
Group:
The focus should be 64-bit but as we have limited hardware support, what I have this is supported with native gfx 2d and 3d is 32-bit.
Would like to see some bounty to get native support for intelHD 2d and 3d.
I would put 200£ in that bounty and could even give the developer some laptop with intelHD chip to be supported for testing.

Maybe Mobile Intel HM70 Express.

We could use something like Acer Aspire One 756. Would be easy to find cheap and just change the wi-fi card to atheros. We would have have a nice fully supported 64-bit computer.

Posted on: 1/16 15:35

From Norway
Group:
Quote:
The focus should be 64-bit but as we have limited hardware support, what I have this is supported with native gfx 2d and 3d is 32-bit.

A fully supported Pi would also do the trick. That would be a perfect low level entry to get more/new users to our little club

Posted on: 1/16 23:13

From Norway
Group:
james007: Sure would but as there are no native drivers for either sound, gfx or sound we talking a lot of work vs only new gfx drivers for i386. + software might be difficult to port over like Odyssey web-browser that I would consider the
most important app.. that is absolutly nescessary for any OS

Why do we have OWB in the abi v.1 build system and not Odyssey? That is something I been wondering.
Would be very nice if that could change since OWB, the old version is quite messy.

Posted on: 1/17 1:38

Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:

Quote:

james007 wrote:
A fully supported Pi would also do the trick. That would be a perfect low level entry to get more/new users to our little club

and i say orderly advanced m68k target might in the end gain us the serious part of power user range of the remaining amiga scene, sick to sit back and observe since years how the platform is bleeding and being ripped apart otherwise. espcially now, when popular solutions such as vampire pave the way. it might even bring some developers over and the additional customership in numbers perhaps without comparison to the current aros followership.

however there certainly are still others who have different ideas and visions than we. we hardly will be able to impose anything on each other, especially in the current situation with less and less active devs.

Posted on: 1/17 3:03

Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:

Why do we have OWB in the abi v.1 build system and not Odyssey?

i have beed pushing this, but as far as i know odyssey builds very long, because its huge. nevertheless id put it into ports and build by demand or so.

kal has almost made it build with the build system but it didnt fully work, whatever his target was, x64 i guess. and he left without sharing his patches, that may be lost now,
the problem might be icu, which id probably hacily hardcoded for i386. deadwood indicates something like that, at the tima i tried to build it for m68k.

one way or the other this is no trivial taks which demands dedication, skill, patience and time, which all is sparce.

edit: eh, ah.. and odyssey requires newer gcc than 5, which is why im constantly pushing on getting gcc-6 fixed. default gcc in the toolchain, the nightlies are being built with, is 4.6.4.

Posted on: 1/17 3:11

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.