Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Testing AROS abi v.1 32-bit

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Undoubtedly AROS on Vampire will significantly increase the AROS user base, bit I think equally undoubtedly having it on R-Pi would do the same and bring it to a whole new audience, not just us aging Amigans. Of course, the massive problem with the Pi is the undocumented hardware. What AROS really needs is a easily obtainable, reasonably cheap and fully documented open-source platform to work on.

If only the Vampire guys could achieve a miracle and find some way to make a stand-alone Vampire at R-Pi levels of performance, drop the cost into the tens rather than hundreds of pounds and have some far-east factory churning them out by the thousand. Oh, and make it fit into some of the Pi-top cases so it could be a used as a laptop. Well, you can but dream...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 1/18 9:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sweden
Group:
"What AROS really needs is a easily obtainable, reasonably cheap and fully documented open-source platform to work on."

Agreed!

Posted on: 1/18 22:36

From Norway
Group:
This topic been split as many did not want AROS to be for any specific hardware. Me on the other hand always fough for that, as it makes a reliable platform. The need for all kind of drivers is also insane. With our little platform it would be almost impossible.
ACER aspire one a110 is the hardware you can rely on but as the world moves on it is quite outdated. It is still a cool computer for AROS I must say.

Posted on: 1/20 12:41

From Gent, België
Group:
As someone with just a general interest in Amiga. I'd have to agree. I'd be nice to have an Amiga-like OS you can just run on any kind of PC. But that is a huge amount of work and it frankly seems like the dev team can't keep that up. Picking one or a few easily available platforms for Aros to run on looks like a better idea.

The Vampire looks like one platform on which AROS should run. The Raspberry Pi family also looks like a no-brainer. Maybe support a small selection of PC's.

It's just my humble opinion.

Posted on: 1/20 14:48

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Here's my latest flight of fancy, repeated from AW.net.

Produce an uber cheap system (less than £100) consisting of an ARM CPU with fpga derived interfaces (audio, graphics, USB) and lots of GPIO and AtoD & DtoA. Market it as a hobby machine for coding and robotics. It's USP; super-simple AROS, easy to learn and running rings around RPi's Linux or Windows installations in terms of performance. It's killer application? Yes, we still do have a killer application - Hollywood. If Airsoft were interested, squeeze into the price a cut-down verision of Hollywood (say only able to produce applications for this target), with the option of a paid upgrade to the full version. Include a load of tutorials for software and hardware applications of this (yeah! - something I could actually contribute to!) and you could have something that sells in reasonable numbers and actaully grows the userbase.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 1/21 4:47

From Norway
Group:
Sounds ok to me. I rather see a cheap laptop. I like something portable with a screen. Not something you need to connect to a screen.

Posted on: 1/21 15:37

Group:
perhaps i need to mention in this context that we have another contributor who joined us to bring the ppc target out of the unmaintained state;)

Posted on: 1/21 17:03

From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
This topic been split as many did not want AROS to be for any specific hardware. Me on the other hand always fough for that, as it makes a reliable platform.

To support all kind of hardware is nice but not realistic for a small team. I would also much prefer a few specific platforms (pi or not) that brings stability.
I don't mind messing around but a lot of people just want to get up & running as fast as possible.
Would be real nice if you could buy Aros machines pre-installed, I would. (but I buy anything that looks and behaves like an amiga)

Posted on: 1/21 21:51

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
Sounds ok to me. I rather see a cheap laptop. I like something portable with a screen. Not something you need to connect to a screen.

I absolutely agree that mobile is best. As to my fantasy machine idea, if it were carefully designed it could be made to fit into a Pitop case.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 1/22 13:14

From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
I absolutely agree that mobile is best. As to my fantasy machine idea, if it were carefully designed it could be made to fit into a Pitop case.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Btw, is the Acer aspire one mini still the best laptop for AROS? I should try to get one of those if that's the case.

Posted on: 1/22 21:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.