Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Testing AROS abi v.1 32-bit

From Norway
Group:
elwis: The best laptop I would not say. What I can say is that AROS runs great with that thing as everything is supported. Be sure it is the ACER aspire one a110.
As you know it is not possible to change gfx-card on a laptop. If you have to use AROS in VESA modes it is boring I think. ACER aspire one even with quite weak gfx-card at least give you native gfx and hardware 3D.
I know there are some older laptops with Nvidia that works with AROS. I just don't know the models.
I will try this laptop in a couple of days.
HP Laptop Compaq nc6320
I bring back my results. Still only Intel gfx, but the same as in Aspire One so should work good with hell of a lot faster CPU as it is Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz
Change wi-fi card is easy on almost all laptops. That is hopefully all that I have to do. If I'm realy unlucky sound does not work but thankfully I had good luck to have sound working on the laptops I tried with AROS.

Posted on: 1/23 4:22

From Sweden
Group:
Thanks for letting me know. I won't mind throwing out some money to get me a working Aros laptop, and some tweaks don't scare me either so we should just keep reporting what models we've tested and what hardware we had to substitue.

Posted on: 1/23 8:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
@ Nikos

Yeah, it's all about the drivers. Imo, a good video chipset can help make many apps seem smooth even with a slower cpu. The 945 chipset in the old Aspire was in vogue over 10 years ago, but the AROS 945 driver still does not seem to support GLSL.

Personally I prefer desktops. But I agree, a fully supported laptop with a recent chipset would pack more punch off the shelf, than a custom built Vampire or Arm kit for example.

Also, I'm not so sure that many people have the time or interest to build their own Vampire or Arm system anyway. Perhaps a situation like OS4 would evolve, where you could have an internet distributor build and repair custom AROS machines for you. But I don't think the AROS market is large enough yet.

But at this point, we can only hope that the devs can find the time and manpower to work on drivers too.

Posted on: 1/23 11:27

From Ireland
Group:
@nikolaos

ntromans and I both have the nc6320, and it works quite well (except that mine appeared to be dead when I last tried it a few days ago ).

Posted on: 1/23 12:47

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:
@ Nikos

Yeah, it's all about the drivers. Imo, a good video chipset can help make many apps seem smooth even with a slower cpu. The 945 chipset in the old Aspire was in vogue over 10 years ago, but the AROS 945 driver still does not seem to support GLSL.

While it might sound trivial if you dont know anything about the drivers - the problem isnt that AROS "still doesnt support 945", but the gallium driver it uses doesnt and never will. There are 2 seperate intel GMA drivers in mesa, one by intel which does NOT use gallium and so cant be used by AROS (which supports 945+), and another which uses gallium but doesnt support newer chipsets, and is not developed by intel. AROS can only use the gallium code and therefore not use the newer chipsets for 3d.

The 2D side is similar enough that its easy to support them, but the 3D side is not.

Quote:

Personally I prefer desktops. But I agree, a fully supported laptop with a recent chipset would pack more punch off the shelf, than a custom built Vampire or Arm kit for example.

Also, I'm not so sure that many people have the time or interest to build their own Vampire or Arm system anyway. Perhaps a situation like OS4 would evolve, where you could have an internet distributor build and repair custom AROS machines for you. But I don't think the AROS market is large enough yet.

But at this point, we can only hope that the devs can find the time and manpower to work on drivers too.

Posted on: 1/23 13:50

Group:
@ Kalamatee

I'm not sure I understand the distinction, are you saying that the newer Intel chipsets cannot be updated until gallium is updated?

Posted on: 1/23 15:16

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:
@ Kalamatee

I'm not sure I understand the distinction, are you saying that the newer Intel chipsets cannot be updated until gallium is updated?

For 3D, correct - but that will never happen and has been discussed on the mesa mailing list. Intel arent interested in working on the gallium code, and the people who developed the gallium driver have no interest in making it work with newer chipsets since they can use the Intel DRI driver. Writing/backporting the 3D engine for the driver is no small task, and not for the feint hearted - its certainly outwith the scope of any AROS dev (*).

Until AROS supports vulkan, you are unlikely to be able to use newer intel based 3d solutions.

* - Im not saying it impossible, but I dont believe anyone is going to do it given the amount of time and dedication required.

Posted on: 1/23 15:22

From Norway
Group:
Kalamatee: Thank U for the explanation. I guess it is better to focus on Nvidia then. Much better anyway but not quite as common.

Neil: I tested the Compaq a little last night. I changed the Wi-fi card and it did not like that. Not supported I got and from what I understand this is set on a white list, BIOS from the manufacturer and no way around :( Regarding 2D, 3D it worked great. I just tried with AspireOS. Sound did not work but will try latest abi v.0 night build after work today. The wi-fi card problem is anyway a show stopper. I guess it is no way around that. The usb wi-fi driver we got dont work any good right?

Posted on: 1/24 1:16

Edited by nikolaos on 2018/1/24 5:13:29

From Gent, België
Group:
How did AROS grow to historically support NVIDIA chipsets? They have a teribble reputation for open source.

Posted on: 1/24 1:31

From Ireland
Group:
@nikalaos

USB wifi apparently works well for some people, but not for me. If you already have a dongle, you should give it a try.

Posted on: 1/24 3:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.