Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Why no official and supported portings?

From Italy
Group:
I'm just wondering about one thing... many open source programs are compiled for many operating systems/platforms once they were ported the first time, and then updated when a new version is available. Now both Amiga and AROS have many open source programs available: ScummVM, MAME, Bochs, ecc... so, why these portings are not added to the official portings list and updated to the latest version when available? We always had often one older version ported and then never updated or added to the official portings. Wich step is missing to have a fully official and fully updated porting?

Posted on: 1/28 10:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Why no official and supported portings?

Group:
I don't know about the 'official' ports. But in general, ports can change a great deal between versions. They can change to engines or libraries that may not be supported by AROS. Even changes like adding threads or wide characters can sometimes be a problem.

Also sometimes I prefer an older version. There are times when a new developer takes over a project and mucks it up.

Finally as you know, AROS has limited manpower and updates to ports may have a lower priority than other projects.

If you have a particular port in mind, mention it. You might inspire someone to try porting it

Posted on: 1/30 18:42

Re: Why no official and supported portings?

From Italy
Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:
I don't know about the 'official' ports. But in general, ports can change a great deal between versions. They can change to engines or libraries that may not be supported by AROS. Even changes like adding threads or wide characters can sometimes be a problem.

Ok, sometimes this can happen. But I don't think this will happen just with the next version of every ported program.

Quote:

Also sometimes I prefer an older version. There are times when a new developer takes over a project and mucks it up.

Yes. I agree with you.

Quote:

Finally as you know, AROS has limited manpower and updates to ports may have a lower priority than other projects.

Yes, I know. This thing is happening since long time for the Amiga too. The ports are/were often crippled in some way and often the source is not shared with the original programmer/team. I don't know what is needed to add a porting on a list of supported platforms. Often there is a single port of a program and then no new version will appear. Just think to MAME as an example of this. I'm just curious to know why this happens.

Quote:

If you have a particular port in mind, mention it. You might inspire someone to try porting it

Too many to list. I'd like to see a virtual machine capable of running other operating systems without speed loss. But it would be great even if a full working version of Bochs will appear one day. An updated version of ScummVM would be nice too... it would bring "new old" games to AROS.

Posted on: 2/3 11:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]