Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Menu closes on left-click

Group:
Hi,

I've now for the first time had a complete enough AROS to go fool around with it. Thus, I've now noticed that the menus close on left-click. Is this a feature or a bug?

Mysha

Posted on: 4/30 1:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Menu closes on left-click

From Norway
Group:
Mysha: You should have a look at your menu prefs. From there you can configure how the menus behave. They can be sticky, they can pop-up etc.

Posted on: 4/30 4:15

Group:
Hi,

Thanks. Not that I have "Menu Prefs", but sooner or later I'll figure that out. But implicitly you did answer my question, that it's a feature.

Thanks again,

Mysha

Posted on: 4/30 5:34

From Norway
Group:
Mysha: Yes you are right. It is not called menu.prefs it is called icontroll.prefs

Posted on: 4/30 5:41

Group:
Ah, Thanks.

I had found that one previously; I recall my disappointment that we couldn't get the option to have both pop-up on the screen and pull-down on the bar. But the only option I imagined could help for this was "Sticky", which was checked.
I now find that when Sticky is checked, the menu disappears, while when unchecked, it'll stick around.

This returns me to my original question, if on a slightly different subject:
Is this a feature or a bug?

I've now also noticed that in the menus, options and selections are checked with the same image. I can't recall that detail from the Amiga, but I find it rather confusing not to have a visual difference between the two.

Mysha

Posted on: 4/30 6:14

From Norway
Group:
Mysha: I agree that check should not quit the menu when sticky. Maybe that is easy to enable?

To have both pop-up and pull-down menu is not that easy as right click triggers the menu so how can AROS know what you want?
Opening both can be confusing I think. I understand it will be as an option but anyway.

Posted on: 4/30 10:59

Edited by nikolaos on 2018/4/30 11:24:41

Group:
It looks to me like the sticky option is implemented the wrong way round. OK, I'll download a new nightly to see how this is now, as it does sound like it's a bug.

Regarding variable menu styles:
I guess at the point where the system checks what type of menu it should show according to the setting, it now has in extra choice where it checks what type of menu it should show according to the right-click co-ordinates. I don't know, though. I only know I had this on the Amiga, but I checked Aminet and nothing jumped out as the likely software that made this possible for me. (It may be that it would be confusing to some, but for me it was a nice addition to have pop-up menus in addition to normal pull-down ones.)

---

I now see that if you select Pop-up, you get an option Pull-down on Screen Title, which sounds like it's what I would like. It doesn't seem to do anything, though.

I now understand what Sticky does: It keeps open the menu if you release the right.button. I can see how it might become rather clicky that way if it didn't auto-close: Left-click an option, then click again, somewhere, to close the menu. It could work the normal way if not using the stickyness, though. But if sticky is not on, then it functions OK. (That is, the GUI does. The second selection doesn't seem to make it to the applications.)

Mysha

Posted on: 4/30 15:16

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Mysha wrote:
It looks to me like the sticky option is implemented the wrong way round. OK, I'll download a new nightly to see how this is now, as it does sound like it's a bug.

Regarding variable menu styles:
I guess at the point where the system checks what type of menu it should show according to the setting, it now has in extra choice where it checks what type of menu it should show according to the right-click co-ordinates. I don't know, though. I only know I had this on the Amiga, but I checked Aminet and nothing jumped out as the likely software that made this possible for me. (It may be that it would be confusing to some, but for me it was a nice addition to have pop-up menus in addition to normal pull-down ones.)

---

I now see that if you select Pop-up, you get an option Pull-down on Screen Title, which sounds like it's what I would like. It doesn't seem to do anything, though.

Yes - its unimplemented yet ;(

Quote:

I now understand what Sticky does: It keeps open the menu if you release the right.button. I can see how it might become rather clicky that way if it didn't auto-close: Left-click an option, then click again, somewhere, to close the menu. It could work the normal way if not using the stickyness, though. But if sticky is not on, then it functions OK. (That is, the GUI does. The second selection doesn't seem to make it to the applications.)

Mysha

Posted on: 4/30 17:12

Group:
> Yes - its unimplemented yet ;(

Hm; doesn't seem too difficult; it'll probably happen one day. I don't see it as an option of pop-up menus, though: After all, it's just as much pull-down menus, with pop-up if you're not on the title bar.

But I'm actually more concerned that double selection doesn't seem to work. In the GUI, it is possible to select more than once, but confusingly only one click then is acted upon. (I can't recall whether those are chained messages somehow or whether the ought to be completely separate mouse events.)

Mysha

Posted on: 5/1 4:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.