Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packet manager

From Norway
Group:
Mysha: Have a look at the icons for supported platforms. It say classic Amiga, AmigaOS4 and MorphOS. Also in the readme file you can see it is no AROS executable in the archive files.

Posted on: 5/3 13:57

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
@ Mysha the version of Aminet is 1.40 i up AfA-OS have the version 2.18, and from the readme it is clear that it does not support AROS see screenshot

Attach file:

jpg  Grunch.jpg (235.46 KB)
3226_5aeb7d5082008.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 5/3 14:22

Group:
Well, if it does work on AfA, than there's hope. But the thing that I missed, originally, is that the sources aren't included. Still, I don't know whether it's intentionally closed-source or whether it's merely that the author believes his source code to be unreadable.

There is always rpm, of course, regardless of what happened to Jack. But if the system is based on a distribution, is the distributor going to be burdened with all the descriptions? Or are there systems implement packages differently? How big is a package anyway? GCC with support for all languages human and programming? A whole bundle of games with the same dependencies? Or a single game with all the catalog files available? What's the optimal size for it's purpose, and what is that purpose? Or are there ways to have it more than one way?

Mysha

Posted on: 5/3 16:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
Grunch v2.18 (OS3,OS4,MOS) you can find it here:

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ility/filetool/grunch.lha

Posted on: 5/3 20:30

From Norway
Group:
Amiga: The source code? ??

Posted on: 5/4 0:28

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
In the archive there are not and I do not know if the author has ever released them THIS is the official website. The download shows version 1.8 but then if you download it and instead the last version 2.18.
Regarding the AROS version you could try to ask the author if it can also do an AROS version.

Posted on: 5/4 0:48

Group:
From my point of view, using a packet manager would be good to manage what's not mandatory to let a distribution be THAT distribution. For instance, it would be helpful to selectively install what's today included in the Live! version of Icaros Desktop, and it isn't in the Light one.

However, from my experience, I learnt that very seldomly software 'just works' once unpacked and copied into a new drawer. Many programs still require some ironing (and our broken Installer tool does not help) and my concern is that once you let the Packet Manager deal with them, users will get a not-working program which requires them to perform "obscure" activities on the system. Moreover, I wonder why exactly I should use a packet manager at all, since I am the one deciding what's in and what's out. And where. Otherwise, you don't need a distribution (almost) at all.

As for the ABIv1 32bit matter, I have to repeat myself for the Nth time: time is precious, and according to statistics my life already lasted more time than the one I still have to live. I won't waste any minute of it to build a completely pointless PC oriented AROS distribution that won't take advantage for the bare minimum specs of current hardware. I have already spent hours of my life trying to convince people AROS is good, and to do that I asked many people to port things, to help me some way, to code something I am not able to, and I won't repeat the whole effort for a dead-end platform which currently lacks both stability (ABIv1 may change again in the future, until written on the stone) and applications. If I'll have to, I will do that only for something that will be future-proof enough. ABIv0 is a dead end too, but at least it has plenty of software to play with.

Remember: distributions are for USERS, not for developers.

Posted on: 5/4 1:48

From Norway
Group:
Paolo: You can not include something in the packet manager you did not test yourself. I understand that in some cases it could be problems, but over all I'm sure it is at least a very welcome tool for new users or as you say people with limited time.
For the future of AROS it is also a way to attract new people.
Downloading a lot of games or programs and making the file size of the OS installation itself huge is to me not nessesary and not something I would like to do. What others do is of cause up to them.

As we know the Amigaworld is very limited and to gain more interest we need to look outside that world.

You don't need to repeat yourself about abi v.1 I explanied very well you will not do it for Icaros.
That does not mean that others might have plans for abi v.1 and I just wanted to know if you would like to see a kind of packet manager for Icaros (for sure abi v.0) as it could make things more easy for you too.

I might very well do AspireOS only for abi v.1 and with a packet manager I could write a big warning after installation that the software that works for this version of AROS is in the packet manager and nowhere else unless it is commercial software.

For the move to 64-bit something simelar could be done. I think it is a good idea. It would make things less confusing.

Posted on: 5/4 2:28

Edited by nikolaos on 2018/5/4 2:49:07
Edited by nikolaos on 2018/5/4 2:50:52
Edited by nikolaos on 2018/5/4 4:10:02

From Italy
Group:
the programmers have said that maybe there will be something concrete for the end of the year about the new branch, while there are those who develop only for abiv0 this is the reality of the facts, and then hopefully it will not be abandoned

Posted on: 5/4 2:53

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Quote:

sabbate wrote:
the programmers have said that maybe there will be something concrete for the end of the year about the new branch, while there are those who develop only for abiv0 this is the reality of the facts, and then hopefully it will not be abandoned

Hopefully abiv0 gets buried and placed somewhere never to be found again. There's no point in chasing the past(ironic coming from the guy who bought FinalWiter).

Posted on: 5/4 3:03

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]