Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

OlafS3, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

No Account
Re: Does Contrib ABI v1 build at the moment?
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
@wawa - which version of flex do you have?

After a very long time, my build now gets as far as OWB but dies with an error in WebCore/CSS/CSSParser.cpp which is pulling in tokenizer.cpp via an include right at the end of the file.

That file is auto-generated by flex and although I don't see an error from that process it looks decidedly like the output from flex is cut off.

I have flex v2.6.1 installed at the moment.

I'm getting inclined to just disable OWB but it feels so close now :)

I will try to take a look at it tonight and see what Is up, but it’s good to see you are persevering ;)

I guesss it will feel more of an accomplishment once you can get it built - and you’ll have learned a bit about our environment/buildsystem in the process.

Posted on: 5/30 10:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

wawa wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
ive just committed patches to build the gcc 8.1 toolchain for AROS

omg..

It’s interesting to see the errors it is reporting in the code (part of why I like to try and keep our toolchains ‘up to date’), but it’s very painfully slow to work on just now ;(

On the plus side though - AROS should get a bit more stable in the process

I also want to look at what new features we can take advantage of at some point (such as LTO, etc) but that will have to wait till I have a workable build machine, and need fixes in our code still.

Posted on: 5/30 11:03

Group:
i expected that, which though probably means i need to maintain another set of targets compiled with it. slowly running low on or out of disk space on my vms;)

Posted on: 5/30 11:13

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

wawa wrote:
i expected that, which though probably means i need to maintain another set of targets compiled with it. slowly running low on or out of disk space on my vms;)

Welcome to my world ;)

LTO is even worse - I recall seeing components use a gigabyte of storage just for one item when it’s used. One (incomplete) AROS build used more than 100GB

Posted on: 5/30 11:16

From England
Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

I will try to take a look at it tonight and see what Is up, but it’s good to see you are persevering ;)

I guesss it will feel more of an accomplishment once you can get it built - and you’ll have learned a bit about our environment/buildsystem in the process.

Don't go out of your way on my part. For now I did indeed rename the mmake file for OWB and continue which saw the build complete.

I'd still like to pursue it but it's by no means a priority. And you're right, at the very least I've now learnt how to build / clean just a specific target and the penny has finally dropped on the whole reason for specifying the different binutils and gcc on the configure command.

I do find makefiles very confusing. I'm used to dealing with Maven and pom files which are an awful lot more straightforward to read and understand (they're XML basically)

Posted on: 5/30 11:42

Group:
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
@wawa - which version of flex do you have?

After a very long time, my build now gets as far as OWB but dies with an error in WebCore/CSS/CSSParser.cpp which is pulling in tokenizer.cpp via an include right at the end of the file.

you can simply add a semicolon on the end of generated CSSParser.cpp to get it compile, however i dont think it is a proper fix, i dont remember if it gets crashy or doesnt even execute correctly at all, since i didnt bother with it for a while.

i think i should still have probably a better fix/diff based on a bit later version of webkit somewhere around here. but i have never got it approved by aros developers especially as the problem wasnt very apparent at that time.

today im more concerned with odyssey which is just 3/4 years old webkit, versus own 9 years old.

perhaps it would be more interesting for you to help with that? ;)

Posted on: 5/30 12:01

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:

Don't go out of your way on my part. For now I did indeed rename the mmake file for OWB and continue which saw the build complete.

Making everything build for most people has been one of my drives over the past years - if you want an eye opener try checking out an older revision of the repository and see how much luck you have getting it to build.

IMHO the current system while still having some issues, is pretty close to where we need it to be.

Quote:

I'd still like to pursue it but it's by no means a priority. And you're right, at the very least I've now learnt how to build / clean just a specific target and the penny has finally dropped on the whole reason for specifying the different binutils and gcc on the configure command.

Once the llvm toolchain is working things should be even better. Different toolchains expose different bugs and other issues in the codebase,

Quote:

I do find makefiles very confusing. I'm used to dealing with Maven and pom files which are an awful lot more straightforward to read and understand (they're XML basically)

Yes makefile are a real nightmare to understand, especially when they need the level of complexity we do to build for all the given targets, and build environments. We use the metamake stuff to simplify it to some extent, but there is always going to be a need for some degree of complexity, especially when you have to pull in external sources with their own requirements. If you do want to try and understand the metamake stuff (which will also help you understand normal makefile), you would do well to look over the make.tmpl macros and see how they are expanded to generate proper makefile recipes - though it’s definately not something for the feint hearted.

Posted on: 5/30 12:14

From Italy
Group:
I had tried with ubuntu 12.04 to compile the x86_64 sources and I had succeeded

Posted on: 5/31 0:03

From England
Group:
Something ended up wrong in the end yesterday that worked before. I was seeing X11 errors related to the cursor and I could not change the cursor in Aros.

Sadly when I was looking into the different versions of gcc I had accidentally deleted my NVidia driver (don't ask!). I've gone back through the apt history and re-installed everything video related that was accidentally removed but the issue is still there so now I don't know if it's related to that or if it's related to building with gcc 4.8

The good news is that now I have a setup where I know it will reliably build I can just wipe out the entire build tree, start the 3 makes going (system, contrib and keymap), do some work and come back at lunchtime to check the result :)

Oh well, it gives me a chance to pull in the latest changes I guess.

In the meantime I threw together a couple of bash scripts that make it quite slick to build everything, update the documentation and 'deploy' it to my test install.

Posted on: 5/31 3:41

Group:
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Something ended up wrong in the end yesterday that worked before. I was seeing X11 errors related to the cursor and I could not change the cursor in Aros.

just up there:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/compiling.php

Quote:

To compile the hosted Linux or FreeBSD ports, the following are also required:

X11 or SDL development headers and libraries
OpenGL development headers and libraries

i think its generally easier to use sdl here (install sdl (dev) packages), than to sort out the x11 headers. but if you insist on x11 you can simply google for what package contains you missing header for a given system.

Posted on: 5/31 4:45

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.