Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

The_Reaper, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

problem with installation

From victorfrankl
Group:
LAst attempt-with nightbuild
from black screen i push shortly delete and Workbench show up
with software failure

Program failed
task: ACPI Button Service
error: privilege violation error
task: trackdisk.task
error:Stack extends out of range

Posted on: 6/5 9:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: problem with installation

From Ireland
Group:
Try adding the boot option 'noacpi'. But generally you should be using a distro anyway.

Posted on: 6/5 9:28

Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
Try adding the boot option 'noacpi'. But generally you should be using a distro anyway.

except contributing to testing perhaps ;)?

Posted on: 6/5 10:12

From England
Group:
Perhaps not the thread / place to pose this, but it begs the question...

If we are, for whatever reason, even if only out of curiosity using a nightly build, in particular ABIv1, how much do the devs want to hear about problems? I see a lot of crashes and issues when running nightly hosted but I'm not reporting them because at the end of the day:

Quote:
But generally you should be using a distro anyway.

Posted on: 6/6 3:00

Group:
since the existing distros are only x86 and ABIv0 and have also a lot of quirks, it seems to be the logical step to try the nightly build as well ...
Expecially since most devs are on ABIv1 and won't/can't comment to problems of distros.

Posted on: 6/6 3:52

From Italy
Group:
I'm using a night build on May 7th, everything is fine, but I have to consider that I have an intel core 2 duo, I do not think I'll get a better PC, that is recent, considering that it aros very well even on an eeepc 900.

Posted on: 6/6 5:25

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Perhaps not the thread / place to pose this, but it begs the question...

If we are, for whatever reason, even if only out of curiosity using a nightly build, in particular ABIv1, how much do the devs want to hear about problems? I see a lot of crashes and issues when running nightly hosted but I'm not reporting them because at the end of the day:

Quote:
But generally you should be using a distro anyway.

We are interested in getting proper debug/reports of errors in ABI v1, so long as they aren't of the "something crashed" vein. If you can replicate the crash describe the steps involved, and always give as much info as you can about the issue.

But as Neil said for most people, who want to use the OS on a regular basis (not just helping to fix ABI v1, crashes) - they should be using the distro's - and some of the people who want to help shouldn't really be trying if they can even give us useful basic information about what went wrong.

Posted on: 6/6 8:43

Group:
once again, not trying to explain it form the perspective of a developer or user, but someone who tries to accompany without being too much of a burden:

if you are reporting something, especially if you feel it is essential, probably it always feels this way. you might not fill a regular bug report, feeling it will probably be postponed forever. instead you will seek direct contact to someone who can do something about it:
1. accept, that he might not be interested or do not share your priorities. at lest not right away. i imagine the able people here are drowned in requests so lets try to spare them.
2. be ready to try to narrow down the issue on your own as far as you are able and deliver reproducible results or fulfill requests you might not be able to understand, in order to delegate dumb work away from the developers with the inside knowledge.
3. you might try to fix it yourself, depending on your experience. your input might be of limited value (workaround or quick fix), then propose it for a review. on dev ml. currently there aint a define process with it, but at least you have tried and can proceed, based on a taste of it.

generally, lets try to do something for a common good, learning and accepting each others limitations, be it other duties, time, money, understanding, abilities or other means.

Posted on: 6/6 9:56

From England
Group:
OK, understood both.

I'm a development manager (and developer) in my job so I understand perfectly well what you're saying :)

Posted on: 6/6 10:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]