Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!

From Norway
Group:
It is no point making this an argue. It is what it is.
I already told Kalamatee it might be difficult to collect this amout of money but lets see.

Posted on: 6/12 8:12

Group:
Who decides about the AROS Funds?

Posted on: 6/12 8:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

Quote:
I guess it is worth asking whether it is absolutely necessary to buy a chip from Intel's top of the line processor series.

Compared to an Atom machine, one would think that there are more economical choices to dramatically boost his productivity with regard to AROS development.

(...)
What you might find suitable for a machine doesn't mean it is suitable for my needs - and implying it should be is a bit ignorant to be frank.

p.s - I haven't said I need a chip from intels top of the end (i9) line

Would you care to point out who implied any such thing?

I asked specifically why the original poster singled out i9 CPUs, and you just confirmed that you do not actually need one...

Quote:
While I very much appreciate the donations people make to me, $109 translates to little over £60 a month, which doesn't even cover my rent for one week - and when I have 3 children also to provide for, it doesn't go far at all. It doesnt add anything to the context, but sounds like some kind of cheap dig suggesting that it should be more than enough to provide for my development needs.

Nobody is making a living from AROS development. If you need income to pay your rent, sadly this is the wrong project. I am sure we all wished it was different but this is the way things are.

That being said, you are one of very few AROS developer who do receive some financial support. The original poster wrote "help him help us" and my point was that the statement would be more accurate if it said "help him more to help us". You are already "being helped" and your Patreon contributors deserve some recognition even if they do not manage to pay your rent, vacations or a sports car...

Posted on: 6/12 8:23

Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

I am not against AMD hardware, but certainly don't like the amount of heat generated by it or the cooling required. the point is they don't offer hardware features I need for debugging the code _period_ regardless of what peoples opinion is of AMD.

Hi. New Ryzen processors don't heat so much and don't need any strange cooling device. Moreover, the cooler comes in the same box of the processor. A 65W Ryzen 7 2700 is cheap and brings all the needed cores and computing grunt.

I wonder what "hardware features needed for debugging code" are perentorily missing from these new little beasts by AMD (that's a question, not a criticysm, so please tell me and I'll try at least to ask someone at AMD).

Here are the specs for the new 2700 series (and older as well):
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700

And some thoughts:
http://timothypratley.blogspot.com/20 ... n-is-for-programmers.html

By the way, if you wish to stay with Intel, a Core i7 8700K should be a good performer with a nice amount of core/thread available (6/12), much much less pricey than any i9 model. Maybe that would be more affordable by this thin community.

Posted on: 6/12 8:27

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

Quote:
I guess it is worth asking whether it is absolutely necessary to buy a chip from Intel's top of the line processor series.

Compared to an Atom machine, one would think that there are more economical choices to dramatically boost his productivity with regard to AROS development.

(...)
What you might find suitable for a machine doesn't mean it is suitable for my needs - and implying it should be is a bit ignorant to be frank.

p.s - I haven't said I need a chip from intels top of the end (i9) line

Would you care to point out who implied any such thing?

I asked specifically why the original poster singled out i9 CPUs, and you just confirmed that you do not actually need one...

A> The topic of this thread,
B> And I quote ..

"I guess it is worth asking whether it is absolutely necessary to buy a chip from Intel's top of the line processor series. "

Quote:

Quote:
While I very much appreciate the donations people make to me, $109 translates to little over £60 a month, which doesn't even cover my rent for one week - and when I have 3 children also to provide for, it doesn't go far at all. It doesnt add anything to the context, but sounds like some kind of cheap dig suggesting that it should be more than enough to provide for my development needs.

Nobody is making a living from AROS development. If you need income to pay your rent, sadly this is the wrong project. I am sure we all wished it was different but this is the way things are.

That being said, you are one of very few AROS developer who do receive some financial support. The original poster wrote "help him help us" and my point was that the statement would be more accurate if it said "help him more to help us". You are already "being helped" and your Patreon contributors deserve some recognition even if they do not manage to pay your rent, vacations or a sports car...

Vacations? Sports Car? make a living from AROS? what on earth are you talking about. I have not asked anyone to start this thread, and certainly dont make anything from my contrbutions to AROS (which have been for the best part of 20 years, far more than a year of donations on patreon)

Im not sure what recognition you expect to be made for the donations people make to me - which amounts to a very small sum of money, and certainly nothing that can help towards replacing my hardware with something suitable.

I appreciate very much what people can donate to me, especially considering some people are financially not that much better off than myself - but your comments smack of contempt/disrespect.

Either way it matters little - without suitable hardware I just cant work on what people have asked about. Im really not sure what your problem is, and to be frank don't care. I can happily walk away and spend the thousands of hours I put into AROS each month into something more productive.

Posted on: 6/12 8:39

From Germany
Group:
WTF!

I am thankful for what kalamatee does for the AROS Community... kalamatee just deserves the support.

If there is no possibility to convince the Community to fund him Hardware.. I will fall back to playing the lottery and hoping to win 90 Million and then I would fund him the fucking Hardware all alone if I could + 2000 $ a month on Patreon so he could be a relaxed AROS Developer!

O.K. that's wishful thinking but it's all I have!

My wish is that kalamatee can use his Brain for what is important and the best for AROS instead of having to struggle about existential Problems... and if I was rich I would just set kalamatee free..... He is no AROS Slave.. he is part of the thing that made AROS possible!

Posted on: 6/12 8:42

Group:
@ Kalamatee

Quote:
Im really not sure what your problem is, and to be frank don't care.

If you did care, I would have recommended to sleep on it and read this discussion again with a cool head.

When someone asks to spend 1500 USD on hardware for _any_ developer, it is not at all unusual to ask why this investment is necessary.

Anyway, good luck...

Posted on: 6/12 8:52

From Germany
Group:
@ A-Siegel

kalamatee has a goal for AROS.. bringing the SMP Development forward and he can't do it on an ATOM Machine.. he is the Developer and he knows best what he needs.. And my opinion is that the AROS Funds is for Development Tasks.. so I am asking for a democratic Decision if the AROS Community could fund him the needed Hardware so that he could bring the SMP Development forward... kalamatee is the Donkey.. on a rope.. just cut the rope and set kalamatee free!

Fuck on the AROS Funds..

Let's talk about funding him the Hardware by the Community.. I am In with 20 €!

@ kalamatee...

What do you think of eg this Machine:

https://www.itsco.de/workstation-hp-z4 ... 0-v2-6x-3-5ghz-22970.html

Posted on: 6/12 9:00

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

paolone wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

I am not against AMD hardware, but certainly don't like the amount of heat generated by it or the cooling required. the point is they don't offer hardware features I need for debugging the code _period_ regardless of what peoples opinion is of AMD.

Hi. New Ryzen processors don't heat so much and don't need any strange cooling device. Moreover, the cooler comes in the same box of the processor. A 65W Ryzen 7 2700 is cheap and brings all the needed cores and computing grunt.

I wonder what "hardware features needed for debugging code" are perentorily missing from these new little beasts by AMD (that's a question, not a criticysm, so please tell me and I'll try at least to ask someone at AMD).

Things like SGX, which make it easy to spot erroneous code. If you want a comprehensive list of all the features Im afraid I cannot do that offhand - suffice to say they are only intel extensions that michal and myself had discussed using in the past to help us develop the SMP code (and they only exist in relatively new cpus, so around 8th generation)

Quote:

Here are the specs for the new 2700 series (and older as well):
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700

And some thoughts:
http://timothypratley.blogspot.com/20 ... n-is-for-programmers.html

By the way, if you wish to stay with Intel, a Core i7 8700K should be a good performer with a nice amount of core/thread available (6/12), much much less pricey than any i9 model. Maybe that would be more affordable by this thin community.

I dont need or want a core i9 - I would have to check the specs if that CPU is suitable but most likely (and was around the spec I had allready mentioned when the subject was brought up previously)

Edit:

That is the exact CPU I had already said about in the prvious thread.

Posted on: 6/12 9:33

Group:
Quote:

Things like SGX, which make it easy to spot erroneous code.

Since RyZen AMD has SME und SVE, which should provide similar functionality.
Just saying this to make clear, that AMDs newest line of CPUs has closed the gap to Intel...

But since you are used to Intels extensions and that is your workflow: Intel it is!

From power2people:
AROS Development Fund: $2952.16

"The allocation of the money will be decided by a group of AROS community representatives."

Who?

Posted on: 6/12 9:57

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.