Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

New Keymap

From England
Group:
Nothing to get excited about I'm afraid!

I've just implemented British Macintosh keymap. I have about 5 different variants around me as it happens to be what I type on even when I'm using a Linux or Windows box. Implemented is way too strong a word. I was going to implement it but I noticed that the keymaps started life with Aros, then were worked on by Morphos and thus have modified source published by Morphos team. I guess 'backported' would be more appropriate.

It's not quite ready yet, there are some really tiny differences between the different variations on the keyboards which I need to unravel. Mainly around the layout of the numeric keypads (which Apple seem to hate!)

So...

Is this something that needs me to join the mailing list, get SVN access and commit or does someone just want a diff file? I think it will be 1 new file and additions to 2 more files. Not sure if it will need 'Alternates' yet or not - i think it might.

I'm liking the Aros project and am still digging but as I have no low level coding knowledge and no hardware driver type knowledge I'm still not really sure where I can be of help.

Posted on: 6/12 18:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No Account
Re: New Keymap
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Nothing to get excited about I'm afraid!

I've just implemented British Macintosh keymap. I have about 5 different variants around me as it happens to be what I type on even when I'm using a Linux or Windows box. Implemented is way too strong a word. I was going to implement it but I noticed that the keymaps started life with Aros, then were worked on by Morphos and thus have modified source published by Morphos team. I guess 'backported' would be more appropriate.

It's not quite ready yet, there are some really tiny differences between the different variations on the keyboards which I need to unravel. Mainly around the layout of the numeric keypads (which Apple seem to hate!)

So...

Is this something that needs me to join the mailing list, get SVN access and commit or does someone just want a diff file? I think it will be 1 new file and additions to 2 more files. Not sure if it will need 'Alternates' yet or not - i think it might.

Joining the mailing list is definitely recommended, since there are more knowledgeable people on it that don't necessarily hand around on forums.

You can then post your patch there - or get svn access and commit it yourself.

Quote:

I'm liking the Aros project and am still digging but as I have no low level coding knowledge and no hardware driver type knowledge I'm still not really sure where I can be of help.

Posted on: 6/12 19:33

From England
Group:
Will do. I'm despertately trying to ensure I'm not getting into something that I cannot really be of any use with as that would just take up time from a limited amount of people that already don't have enough of that as it is.

Posted on: 6/13 3:43

Group:
Hi Martin

if you have any binary version of your keymaps and they're working with ABIv0 too, I'd be glad to put them into Icaros Desktop.

Posted on: 6/15 7:09

From England
Group:
I haven't had time to go back to this yet this week - maybe over the weekend. The basic keymap was working fine but I think I need to setup a couple of layout alternatives to handle minor differences in Apple's various keyboard incarnations. At least as far as the ones I have here anyway:

- Old style mechanical with see-through base and numeric keypad
- Wired Aluminium with numeric keypad
- Wired Aluminium without keypad
- Original Wireless aluminium without keypad (not magic)
- Mattias Aluminium Bluetooth Mac keyboard with numeric keypad

All British Macintosh layout with variations. I guess I will ultimately add them by model number.

Anyway, I don't have an ABIv0 build environment but I have no problem with creating one as I will like to use the result with Icaros hosted myself :)

[EDIT] Ahh, I just realised that I have misunderstood what "Alternate" does in "Input Prefs". I though it was for where there is more than one variation of a keymap but it is for if you want to switch between two entirely different keymaps.

OK, perhaps I won't consider all of these minor variations and instead just support the main 2 or 3 recent ones.

Posted on: 6/15 15:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]