Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

cybergorf, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Just received dozens of fully AROS compatible Ion2 based systems

Group:
@MartinW

They're Intel ATOM based with geforce 9400 graphics.
Very similar to an Aspire One system, but with much more powerful graphics hardware.

Once I close up shop for the day I was planning on putting them through their paces. I may as well video my fun while Im at it so I can show exactly how they perform.

edit: just did some browsing and unless Im mistaken these are similar to the Aspire Revo 3600, but based on Ion2 rather than Aspire Revo 3600's Ion.

Posted on: 6/19 2:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From England
Group:
OK, so looks like approx. 50GBP delivered which without looking anything up seems like a bargain. BUT for me, maybe too similar to what I already have. Of course there will also be 20% VAT, 10% import duty and depending on carrier anything up to 20GBP 'handling fee' (AKA, let's make some money for doing very little fee).

I look forward to hearing how they are after being put through their paces, they certainly sound interesting.

Posted on: 6/19 4:02

Group:
@ MartinW

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Customs Duty:
"Anything under £135 = No charge"

VAT:
"gifts worth more than £39"
"other goods worth more than £15"

(Shipping costs are not included when you determine the value of a shipped item.)

Posted on: 6/19 5:17

From England
Group:
OK, so the figures for customs duty have been reduced since the last time I was charged and investigated / queried the charge. That's good. I'm merely pointing out that there will be extra costs. If you get away without any charges (which can happen) then you have been lucky.

From your own link:

VAT will be charged @ 20% as it is not a gift and it is over £15.

Shipping costs ARE included in the value. Per the link you posted:

Quote:

You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

the price paid for the goods
postage, packaging and insurance
any duty you owe

The biggest kick in the teeth on all of this is usually the handling fee because people like Royal Mail, DPD, UPS etc., seem to make it up as they go along. It can be as much as £20 andthe excuse is "because we handled it all on your behalf".

Anyway, like I said, look forward to hearing more about what these boxes are like. I am interested but need to weigh up if the cost is worth it when I already have something that sounds very similar.

Posted on: 6/19 7:50

Group:
For no reason other than I want to, I've decided to drop the price to $40 AUD, just for AROS users.

Please don't mistake this as some sort of attempt to "get rid of" them. I'm shifting them surprisingly quickly at $75 AUD elsewhere.

Additionally, in light of things like VAT (Im completely ignorant to these things to be honest), and having given some postage costs, could anyone who is interested please contact me again.
Sorry if this means repeating the same, or similar messages to me, Im just a bit unclear who is still after one.

Thanks.

Posted on: 6/19 9:32

Group:
@MartinW

I completely understand your reluctance to replace one machine for another that is similar if there's cost involved. Well priced or not it could seem a waste of money.
Going by what you've suggested it sounds as though you'll mostly just gain some gpu power.

When I post some videos you'll have a better understanding whether it's for you I guess.

Please don't judge this as me being a salesman by the way
I simply had some good fortune in acquiring these machines so cheaply and thought Id offer to pass that fortune on to anyone in the community who is interested

p.s. Not aimed at yourself, but I just had the idea to try and organize some cheap "package deals" with a machine and software.
Now if I could just find some time to go along with cheap hardware.......

Posted on: 6/19 9:37

From England
Group:
VAT / sales tax is a pain in the butt! But sadly like any other tax it's a fact of life. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted it here, especially since it's not relevant to everyone? Sorry for making more work.

Anyway, even with those things on top, it's still a bargain. And it does happen sometimes that things come through with no charge :)

I think the main thing that I'm lacking is not something that can run Aros, but more something that can run it without the fan going into meltdown the minute I start to stress it. That's what the Aspire one ZG5 feels like to me. A very nice platform but one that get's stressed at the slightest chance.

Anyway, I will shut up now!

Posted on: 6/19 9:56

Group:
@MartinW

Hehe, not a problem. The VAT, etc. stuff is all relevant useful information. May not apply to everyone, but it's good to have it out there.

Posted on: 6/19 10:52

Group:
Damn, what a frustrating, but ultimately kind of cool few hours that was.

When I very 1st tested one of these systems a few days ago I had an usb dvd drive connected. I'd turned it on, left the room and found AROS running when I returned.
All normal thus far. Then I turned it off and didnt touch them for a few days.

About 3 hours ago I decided I wanted to make the promised video.
Plugged everything in besides the dvd drive and turned it on.... system started up, the "no signal detected" message vanished from the screen and it went black..... but nothing else....
"hmm.." I thought, what the heck is happening here?
A bit of experimenting and it continued this exact behavior.
Tried a new power supply, same thing. Decided to plug the 4 pins from a "traditional" desktop power supply (in addition to the 12v dc power connector the board also has a 4 pin connector). When I did this there was a little bit of a spark because Id accidently left the 12v dc power supply as well.

Out of desperation I tried another board, and opened up another so-dimm. Exactly the same behavior. Then I decided to try a different monitor. Still same behavior.
By now I was getting frustrated and started dreading the worst and getting a bit negative. "Maybe it's a batch of dodgey boards and that's why it was so cheap" I considered. "But it worked like a charm 1st time a few days ago" I kept reminding myself, and it's all new, unopened and sealed gear, so I didnt see how that was the case.
I'd spent a few hours by this point and didnt want to have wasted my time, so I painstakingly recreated the scenario from a few days ago.....

Loooong story short, it turns out these machine have no post messages at all and things were behaving exactly as normal. With no post messages and no OS loaded it was simply booting up into a black screen. With an OS DVD in the drive at power on it simply booted into AROS.

Perhaps it's partially because of the time I wasted, but in the end I was, and am, quite pleased with the outcome.

Part of the reason I like using Raspberry Pi's for emulation is the fact the "post" screen doesnt look like a typical pc, which helps the illusion when booting straight into an emulator. These systems go one step further and show absolutely nothing until software has loaded from boot media.
The *very 1st* thing to appear onscreen when you turn it on is AROS.

It may just be a personal thing, but I really, really like that. So much so that I thought I'd share the fact with you all

Now, back to the machine and installing AROS

Posted on: 6/20 11:33

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.