Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

AROSAmp 0.22 Alpha

Group:
Since I have no idea if, or when, Archives will update with 0.22 (it's been 10 years and I have no idea what my passphrase was and the old e-mail address is long gone. Hopefully the admins will look at me with grace), I've decided to post it here as well for testing purposes.

Returning to a code you wrote 10 years ago (yes it's actually been that long, and yes I had to search through my old harddrives to find the original code), no longer compatible with the intended OS, realizing it requires serious refactoring is a daunting experience. Just making the system work again has been a 2 week crunch period of testing and failing.

Before 0.3 I will need to refactor the code, making it humanly readable again (believe me, it seems like the 'growth' of the code was simply too much for a 10 year younger me to take into account when writing it. When something is 'logical' in your head, you tend to ignore anything else, only assuming you'll 'clean it up later'. Well, I always intended the source to be released, and if that promise is to be held, it needs to be readable. So, that's next on the agenda before anything else is done.) It currently is compiled, and tested to work on Icaros 2.2 - hosted with the supplied mpega.library. I've had various luck opening the software from the drawer (in Icaros it seems to prefer WB run), but of course running it from the shell works perfectly. This may be because the code made to 'load' the theme preferences and code 'assumes' you to be in the 'software directory' of AROSAmp, and not somewhere else. Will have to add a reader that takes into account the 'full' path for next release. Should solve any issues with loading the software.

Happy testing :)

http://trilabs.one/arosamp_alpha_0.22.tar.gz

Posted on: 7/24 17:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: AROSAmp 0.22 Alpha

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
I have executed AROSAmp from Icon on Wanderer and played MP3 files without any problem, used system AROS virtualized on VMWare Player.

Attach file:

jpg  AROSAmp.jpg (151.35 KB)
3226_5b58531b0e6bf.jpg 1024X767 px

Posted on: 7/25 3:38

Group:
Glad to see it is working as intended :) Might be Icaros handling the executable different than standard Wanderer. Will have to look into it further.

Posted on: 7/25 6:10

Group:
Hello Mithrandir

When running your alpha on Magellan for the first time, the program ran but didn't play anything.

I tried stopping/closing it, but it was somehow stuck and I needed to reboot.

So I ran arosamp wit Magellan, but using the right click option "run as workbench", which should run things using same technique Wanderer would do. I could play the example MP3 included in MUSIC: drawer, but could not stop the application and quit normally

So I switched Icaros to use Wanderer instead

First time I tried playing something, it worked (same song from Josh Woodward). The second time, it didn't, exactly as like as the first time I tried with Magellan.

I am quite confident that there could be something, in Icaros Desktop, which may conflict with AROSAMP. Problem is, however, that your program should take in account the chanche user is running something else on the system.

You'd investigate running the magic couple snoopy/sashimi, or also AROS Debug View, in tools/Debug.

Posted on: 7/25 8:26

From Norway
Group:
Running AspireOS the program works and I can play MP3 files but I had some crashes so the program is for sure beta. Needs some love before I would use it.
Thx anyway. Nice player and a welcome addition to our software.

Posted on: 7/25 10:16

Group:
is this an open source? perhaps if i tried to compile it with more advanced aros toolchains it might reveal something?

Posted on: 7/25 12:31

Group:
Thank you so much for the replies :) Helps to 'clean out' the issues with the code.

The code needs to be revamped before I release the source code. Probably will be 0.3 alpha, which is the next step. Accordingly I'll be going through all the individual code segments and cleaning it up (trying to remove redundant code, and commenting as I go.)

The issue with crashing during second play is odd, however I can only assume this is because the program uses an integer count for registering 'when' to stop playing (after the last song in the playlist array) that isn't registering the correct number, and this results in the program attempting to play an 'empty' song, entering a play loop that doesn't have anything to play. (This worked fine during Alpha 0.21 so I can only assume the changes I made for it to work with newer AROS/mpega.library has changed something with the behaviour. Will do a compile with printf of the integer during play here and see what happens after the last song plays). I'll report back once I've done some testing :)

Posted on: 7/25 15:37

From Norway
Group:
It would be cool if the player could also play other formats like flac.

Posted on: 7/25 16:40

Group:
I've looked into some of the issues reported.

First off the 'second playthrough - no sound' bug has been sorted. When AROSAmp ends the final song in a playlist, it sets a Boolean for termination to 'TRUE'. I was missing a check before starting a new playthrough to see if the previous playthrough was still terminated and if so, set it to 'FALSE' before opening a new process. After all, it shouldn't and won't play if it's terminated (Basicly the same as clicking stop, except never releasing it, which is why 'stopping' a file (which releases the terminated boolean again after stopping the music) and then restarting worked, while letting it play all the way through ended in horrible failure and sad faces all around.

Also found and solved a bug where if you loaded a playlist, and then loaded one, or more files from the standard open function after, the program did not empty the counter that keeps track the number of songs in the playlist array before adding the files, making the program 'attempt' to load 'empty' files from the playlist.

In addition to that, I added some fail-safes to make sure, if you are currently playing a list, it terminates the play process if you open a new file or playlist (but of course, not if you simply add files to an existing playlist you have open), to ensure that the program doesn't crash since there would already be a process loop running the old playlist.

I'll look into the issues with opening the software from Magellan tomorrow evening to see what's going on, before a new alpha release will be posted.

In regards to adding FLAC, I've quickly glanced at the decoding process, and it seems quite feasible to add as an optional format, once the code that manages 'everything else' is stable enough so I can focus on adding features. I'm thinking this could be something to add at the end of cleaning up the code.

During this process I also hope to be able to see why the ID3 tags (KBPS/KHZ) 'randomly' doesn't draw as well (pausing / unpausing seems to correct it, which is odd since it calls the same redraw function), and I'll also take a closer look at the redraw function to see if I can speed it up, which would remove the random 'blanking' that happens when you adjust volume or balance.

Posted on: 7/25 19:46

Group:
Here it is, ready for testing and feedback :)

http://trilabs.one/arosamp_alpha_0.23.tar.gz

Tested on my own icaros hosted with both Wanderer and Magellan, but further testing with various configs should be done to ensure it runs as intended. Bugfixes as stated in my post earlier.

Posted on: 7/26 22:27

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.