Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Odyssey

Group:
Hi !

Odyssey has a few bugs:

- "resuming" an interrupted download is broken
- adding an item to the contextual menu is also broken (the item is not added :) )
- there's no arexx port (maybe Deadwood forgot to enable(?) it

There may be others, but the above prevent me from using Odyssey like I would like.

@Neil Cafferkey:

Can you see if you can fix them, please ? With Deadwood and Kalamatee unavailable, you're the only person with a deep aros knowledge, who can do it .

Posted on: 8/27 9:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Odyssey

From Norway
Group:
The huge problem for me and for AROS in general is that the video player in Odyssey have problems.

If there is enough people that want some upgrade we should try to hire someone to do it.

We could make a list of what we require.

I give 100$.

Posted on: 8/28 5:21

Group:
We could start a bounty and "hire" Fabien Coeurjoly to fix Odyssey; even though he's a Morphos guy, he might accept the offer.

Here's an initial draft of the bounty:

- fix "resuming" an interrupted download

- fix contextual menu

- fix arexx port

- fix video player

- put an OPTION in odyssey preferences, that allows the user to choose to have "native" MUI widgets (instead of Cairo non-native ones). Of course native mui widgets won't have css applied to them, but the user can choose to have non-native ones.

- update rendering engine

- put a "close" button to the "find" search panel

Feel free to expand/improve on this list.

Posted on: 8/28 23:39

From Norway
Group:
I don't think Fabien work with MorphOS or anything Amiga related anymore.
From what I remember he got a kid and had to focus on family life.

I think the engine is difficult to update. That is at least what Deadwood said when I talked with him some months ago. He did not have time or interest in working on Odyssey but it is possible to ask again.

What I mean is that I think it is possible to implement missing features and do some bug fixes. Other than that I think we ask to much.

As you might know we have a updated ssl but it needs to be compiled for abi v.0
That should be quite easy for someone that have a development setup for aros.
At least that will make Odyssey more compatible as many sites require a more recent ssl version.

Posted on: 8/29 1:42

From Madrid
Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
I don't think Fabien work with MorphOS or anything Amiga related anymore.
From what I remember he got a kid and had to focus on family life.

I think the engine is difficult to update. That is at least what Deadwood said when I talked with him some months ago. He did not have time or interest in working on Odyssey but it is possible to ask again.

What I mean is that I think it is possible to implement missing features and do some bug fixes. Other than that I think we ask to much.

As you might know we have a updated ssl but it needs to be compiled for abi v.0
That should be quite easy for someone that have a development setup for aros.
At least that will make Odyssey more compatible as many sites require a more recent ssl version.

If that's true still today, it's very bad news. we are loosing all key devs, so, if we don't atract new ones, aros will be "frozen". I am starting to consider FRIEND, it has some interesting features and they are true Amigans.

Posted on: 8/29 9:39

From Norway
Group:
x-vision:

Fabian was never a AROS developer but when he desided to leave MorphOS he sold and gave away lot's of his work and that was ported to AROS.

Regarding friend OS I think it is exiting and I think it can have a very bright future but it has little to do with Amiga like OS.

It is sky based and you have to pay for all their servers, people keeping everything in tact. For some this can be a cheap and good way to gain lots of computer power. It is also a nice way to be anywhere and still feel at home with your computer as everything is in the sky. Your files, programs etc.
Just log inn from a web-browser and there you have it. Very smart but again not for everyone. I don't like to have subscriptions to whatever it is computing, movies, music or whatever. I like to have everything local. Maybe I'm old fasion but that is my choise.

In the end AROS never had that many users or devs. and there been plenty of reasons for that. As you might have noticed I try to promote hardware that run AROS in a great, stable way.
I'm totaly amazed of how far AROS has come and it is a joy to use.
I hope you keep in and help to boost development and user base.

Posted on: 8/29 13:51

Group:
whoever wants to pull the most current source can do so from my repository. whoever knows to fix anything can contact me and i can either add contributors or forward patches.

further work on odyssey will hopefully be resumed as soon as ill gather some experience.

Posted on: 8/29 14:19

From Norway
Group:
wawa: It is great you try to help out. Thx for your dedication and work.

Posted on: 8/29 14:33

From Madrid
Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
x-vision:

Fabian was never a AROS developer but when he desided to leave MorphOS he sold and gave away lot's of his work and that was ported to AROS.

Regarding friend OS I think it is exiting and I think it can have a very bright future but it has little to do with Amiga like OS.

It is sky based and you have to pay for all their servers, people keeping everything in tact. For some this can be a cheap and good way to gain lots of computer power. It is also a nice way to be anywhere and still feel at home with your computer as everything is in the sky. Your files, programs etc.
Just log inn from a web-browser and there you have it. Very smart but again not for everyone. I don't like to have subscriptions to whatever it is computing, movies, music or whatever. I like to have everything local. Maybe I'm old fasion but that is my choise.

In the end AROS never had that many users or devs. and there been plenty of reasons for that. As you might have noticed I try to promote hardware that run AROS in a great, stable way.
I'm totaly amazed of how far AROS has come and it is a joy to use.
I hope you keep in and help to boost development and user base.

I know fab never was an Aros dev, but it was a crucial reference.

I also want to have everything local, but kind of remenber (not 100% sure) from one of their early demos or videos, that you can tell the system to always keep a local copy, which imho is the best solution (always have a local copy, but an "automatic backup" at the same time, with the only objection of security) and I would use it only with that condition.

I know how long and difficult has been the aros path, but about 1-2 years ago we were about to have a 64 bits, multicore, with complete 3D support and almost up to date in terms of drives (limited, but for current gen) OS, in expansion (attracting some new users and devs), but now it seems none of this goals will be reached.

Posted on: 8/30 10:51

From Basel
Group:
Hi,

I should be able to compile openssl for ABIv0, but I need some instructions on how to compile Odissey...

@wawa: may you please write again the link of your repository and how to compile?

Thanks

Posted on: 8/30 13:48

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.