Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Trying a small program in AROS hosted on Raspberry Pi

Group:
i dont want to hijack this thread, but i think it might be easier and more future proof and sensible to invest work into building abi v1 on arm/rpi. first of all, contrary to i386, compiling abi v0 would not benefit of any existing ready to go software library. secondly avi v0 has been declared obsolete. all efforts beyond sustaining it on already supported platform, which is solely i386, will be wasted, as soon as transition to abi v1 effectively occurs. on the contrary: trying to fix and extend obsoleted branch is counter productive since it could negatively impact on what effort should be dedicated to, namely getting aros actually forward. i am mentioning it in particular because just lately, as known, michal started to work on arm/rpi big endian target, which can seriously impact reception of aros among amiga and rpi audience.

that said, i dont want to pick on anybody and their personal endeavour, bless them, just to indicate what might be sensible in a general scope.

Posted on: 9/9 5:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Quote:

i dont want to hijack this thread,

No problem at all of having a small sidetrack

Quote:

but i think it might be easier and more future proof and sensible to invest work into building abi v1 on arm/rpi. first of all, contrary to i386, compiling abi v0 would not benefit of any existing ready to go software library. secondly avi v0 has been declared obsolete.

The aim is to let someone who surfs over to the nightly download page for AROS running on pi be able to compile the AROS themselves if wanted to. The gimmearos.sh script should work, and it does with the exception of the outdated presicion library URL and some small improvement on the gimmearos-script (who's changes/fixes also applies for the v1 script).

Because i do not have the same setup as the build-server and having the wrong link to mpc in the makefile, the build fails for me (and for anyone else trying to compile hosted arm).

I would have thought fixing that would appeal to your project of being able to reproduce everything

fwiw: this vs this as i assume that is used for the hosted arm nightly's posted on the ABI-v0 page as well..

Quote:

all efforts beyond sustaining it on already supported platform, which is solely i386, will be wasted, as soon as transition to abi v1 effectively occurs.

I do not disagree with that, other then backports are still being commited. It isn't worth the hassle of forking the project simply for changing one simple URL in a mmakefile.src and updating and/or providing a script that also works on/for the pi.

Quote:

on the contrary: trying to fix and extend obsoleted branch is counter productive since it could negatively impact on what effort should be dedicated to, namely getting aros actually forward. i am mentioning it in particular because just lately, as known, michal started to work on arm/rpi big endian target, which can seriously impact reception of aros among amiga and rpi audience.

I am aware of michal's project(s), but that does not take away the fact that things (as provided to the end-user) should just work. It is what annoys me to hell, to let things rot even further.

Mind that i'm talking about v0-on-trunk (which Icaros is based upon as well), and not talking about the abandonded v0.

Quote:

that said, i dont want to pick on anybody and their personal endeavour, bless them, just to indicate what might be sensible in a general scope.

No problem as your input (and contributions) is (are) appreciated.

fwiw it is not about my personal endeavour, rather to fix things that are presented as something that should work out of the box

Yes, v1 is attempting to build as well, but it isn't going very fast

Posted on: 9/9 6:24

Group:
Quote:

Quote:

hth313 wrote:

So I switched to using gimmearos-v1.sh, commented away gcc-multilib and after some chewing it concluded that recipe for target 's-automata' failed.

origami wrote:
i have no idea what "target 's-automata' failed." means.

Now i do know

It is related to memory issues, so try to increase your swap.

On Raspbian that can be done like mentioned here, although it required a reboot for me in order for the new size to take effect. I have it set to 2048, perhaps you could try with something a bit smaller as it slows things down considerably.

For some obscure reason package texinfo was not installed for me so that borked building the compiler, but after that things builded smoothly. The newer gcc is a beast though, and took me 2 hours to compile. Seems to work like a charm when setting the sysroot to correct path for the includes..

After building the compiler, building AROS failed within 10 minuites for me with undefined symbols (memset) when trying to build linuxinput.hidd

That is where i throw in the towel for the time being.

Posted on: 9/9 13:49

Group:
Quote:

origami wrote:
The newer gcc is a beast though, and took me 2 hours to compile.

maybe that explains what nick was about when talking about appropriate development system.

Quote:

That is where i throw in the towel for the time being.

but cmon, i usually do that day for day for different targets, and regularly from the scratch. dont easily give up! ;)

Posted on: 9/11 5:36

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.