Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

Argo, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Netsurf?

From Italy
Group:
I'm just wondering why no one ported this browser to AROS. I don't know if it's better or worse than OWB (maybe worse?), but it would be nice to have something else to try. We have so little application, so can someone try to port it to AROS?

Posted on: 9/1 12:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Netsurf?

From Norway
Group:
This browser has no java-script support right?

That is not very compatible by todays standards.
A port is maybe cool for simple pages but Odyssey is way more advanced.

Posted on: 9/1 13:34

From Italy
Group:
I haven't read the whole homepage, but here

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/about/

they talk about javascript as something already implemented. At least that is what I understand when they say "Sep 2012 Early JavaScript support started" and "Aug 2015 Changed JavaScript engine to Duktape". Maybe it is still incomplete?

Posted on: 9/1 14:09

Group:
i have prepared an till now unfinished aros mmakefile. been able to build some netsurf support libraries with it, but chocked on a sed script i couldnt get to properly run within aros build environment to generate some files. probably should have generated them with linux and simply take them and include in the patch as matthias advised, but it appeared a hack to me. got disencouraged and let it be for the time being.

it would be initially a basic sdl frontend port. however on aminet there is a source of a mui frontend by morphos developer that might, just might get adopted.

that said, as far as i tried netsurf on windows, the browser and its engine is in practical term inferior to what even 9 years old aros sdl owb/webkit port offers, not to speak of odyssey 1.25.

it is an option if anybody wants a challenge, the question if if this is a priority.

before tasks like that get picked up though id really think about how so we want to make software easily available. because especially now, where a number of stuff seems to take off, like for example work on native arm/pi port, simply dumping i386 abiv0 binaries to aros archives may not be enough.

imho we need a source archive or repository, best case with history to roll back in case something got broken in the process. but this is a whole different discussion.

Posted on: 9/2 3:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]