Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
16 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 15

Kernel-Trap, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

AROS native - can't boot

Group:
Hi

I am trying to run vmwaros natively but can't boot it. It runs through some hardware detection (very quickly) and then a mouse curor appears but it doesn't go any further. Every few seconds I see the DVD-ROM light appear. I'm wondering if my DVD-ROM wasn't detected properly during initialisation?

Here is my hardware specs:
- Abit NF7-S mainboard with nforce2 chipset
- 80GB PATA HDD plugged into IDE channel 1 set to Master
- PATA DVD-ROM plugged into IDE channel 2 set to Master
- Geforce 2 MX video card

Is there any way to slow down the debug info on startup so that I can read it? I read that there is also a way to output the debug info to RS232. Can anyone describe how to do this?

Posted on: 2009/1/20 17:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: AROS native - can't boot

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
try editing the grub boot line so the "ATA=" option includes "nolegacy" and see if that helps

eg .. if it has "ATA=32bit" change it to "ATA=nolegacy,32bit"

Posted on: 2009/1/20 18:02

From Sunny Finland
Group:
Hi,

In order to use serial debug it has to be turned on when compiling the kernel -> ./config --target=pc-i386 --with-serial-debug=(port number) and set receiving serial to that of 9600 8n1 (it will only debug those things that are set to spew debug output)

I have made some minor modifications to ata.device yesterday and time will tell if they can address your booting problem, try to boot with nightly and test if that can boot your system, if so and those modifications don't cause other peoples system to hang it will eventually travel to vmwaros too.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 18:03

Group:
It sounds similar to a Gigabyte motherboard I have which works.

If managed to get it to load up by using a PS2 mouse instead of USB and making sure the legacy support for the mouse in the BIOS was disabled. If I tried to use a USB mouse on the system with legacy enabled it would fail to boot completely exactly as you described. USB keyboard with legacy support works fine.

If you get a mouse cursor it at least suggests the DVD drive is being detected correctly.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 18:33

Group:
Thanks everyone for your tips. I've managed to get it working. There were two problems:

- I needed to change the keyboard and mouse to "USB handled by OS" even though I'm using PS/2 devices. Weird...

- VESA modes don't work with my video card, only native Nvidia and VGA. Selecting one of these drivers and I'm away

Posted on: 2009/1/20 22:13

Group:
Quote:

holmesch wrote:
Thanks everyone for your tips. I've managed to get it working. There were two problems:

- I needed to change the keyboard and mouse to "USB handled by OS" even though I'm using PS/2 devices. Weird...

- VESA modes don't work with my video card, only native Nvidia and VGA. Selecting one of these drivers and I'm away

Hi and welcome. I'm happy you have resolved your issues. It's a little strange your GF2MX card doesn't handle VESA modes, but at least the native driver should work (almost) flawlessly.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 22:43

Group:
Actually I think I had the same problem, even though I had switched to a PS2 mouse I still had to disable legacy USB mouse in the BIOS.

Since we both have NForce 2 based boards with this issue, it might suggest a problem specific to these chips.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 7:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]