Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

wanderer improve

From Camogli GE Italy
Group:
Hi guys,

I would like to ask the developpers to to spend some time on wanderer improvements.
In addition to the other known needs or still to do things, I would suggest to keep some "inspiration" from other OS's, at least for things we consider intersting or usefull.
My whish is to have gadgets like MS$ on top right of the window to maximaze/iconify windows dimensions, but not trough amistart. Also the possibility to remove the minimize window gadget, I think is unusefull (I never used it even on my OS3.5)

Sandro

Posted on: 2009/6/13 7:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: wanderer improve

From Vienna
Group:
yes, a minimize gadget would be cool! or maybe better (more amiga-like): an iconfy gadget!!

i agree as well - please don't incorporate amistart too much into aros - i simply hate it (especially the start menu - a dock would be much cooler). and i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking like this! it's simply not true that i want to crawl down in the directory tree to search for a app like owb in the same way as i would to start muibase - i will never use muibase probably, but owb frequently. and the apps i want to access now and then can then be opened through a wanderer window!

pease think about that!

and for the running tasks list: a wanderer menu could be interesting!

(and yes, i know that amistart is not part of official aros, but icaros will have a significant impact on the usage and perception of aros)!

also on my wishlist: a searchfield like in os x (and vista now)?

cheers

(small edit done)

Posted on: 2009/6/13 8:34

From dax (landes, france)
Group:
Hi,

you can use the amistart bar as a dock (my own workbench, click on thumbnail) ;)

Click to see original Image in a new window

regards

dimitri

Posted on: 2009/6/13 9:03

From Vienna
Group:
hi dimiti!
thanks for the hint! i didn't think about that (though i played around with amistart a lot and know about the possibility to place apps in the bar).

my concern doesn't go so much to amistart as an application itself, but to the use of the start menu in aros!

once the start menu paradigm becomes so widely used that it becomes de-facto standard as launcher it might also become a general standard for aros! i am only concerned that this happens!

cheers,
shortcircuit

Posted on: 2009/6/13 9:17

Group:
Personaly, I'm confortable with amigaos 3.1-like environnement. If I had to ask for an improvement, it should be a really "3d" accelerated GUI in wanderer, like compiz fusion or ambient in MoprhOS, I think.

Comparing two systems on the same computer (ubuntu 9.4 + compiz and icaros 1.1.1), it gives me the impression to not have the same machine under the 2 OSes.

Under linux with compiz (not anything too fancy, just "normal" mode), the gnome desktop is fast and responsive with my p4 1.8ghz.

Under AROS, apps start faster than linux, but since I open more than one (sic) window (even with nvidia drivers) the speed falls...

Posted on: 2009/6/13 10:05

Group:
make the icons be freely moveable. The grid structure is rigid and seems a bit simple.

make the windows fullwindow by double clicking on their bars. This is user-friendly and more advanced than Amiga at the moment.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 13:36

From Vienna
Group:
Quote:

demether wrote:
If I had to ask for an improvement, it should be a really "3d" accelerated GUI in wanderer, like compiz fusion or ambient in MoprhOS, I think.

i think as well that this is an important thing to achieve...
however-
we should seperate ui and technological aspects here, at least to the point where this is possible!

for example: extending the amiga datatype system would be a technological thing that would have deep impact in the user experience as well. it's also one of the few things that the amiga has and is still ahead of the modern os-es .. codecs still don't work as seamlessly on modern platforms as datatypes did on amiga.

the technological guts of the display system, however important they might be, are not of utmost importance to the user experience / interface handling.

Quote:

aerosaros wrote:
make the windows fullwindow by double clicking on their bars. This is user-friendly and more advanced than Amiga at the moment.

the "double click on title bar / make full screen" mode is not a workbench/wanderer like system- as aros is a reimplemention of classic amiga os, aros should not break ui paradigms like that, but enhance the original concept. actions performed in the ui are accomplished by clicking gadgets or using menus. this should be kept to keep the consistency! however, a search field in the wanderer windows doesn't break the concept! i am confident that it is more coherent to extend the wb-system to a point, where using the wb-windows becomes more easy, than to just take a bypass through an alien navigation method (the start menu).

cheers,
shortcircuit

Posted on: 2009/6/13 16:17

From Vienna
Group:
and some links to consider when thinking about wanderer's improvement:
http://www.osnews.com/tag/Common+Usability+Terms
:)

Posted on: 2009/6/13 16:41

From Norway
Group:
We have one developer that is working on Wanderer. Lets hope it's comming something nice out of that soon. It sure needs some fixes and some addons.
Mabye it's even time for other developers to join in on the development of wanderer. It's a very important task, and difficult I think.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 22:38

Group:
Unfortunatly, I'm not a developer ! So I guess I 'm just good to complain and point what is not working correctly ^^

by the way, I like how the workbench works. you can add click to front commoditie to make it more ergonomic, etc...

the real issue, which I think should be more a priority than add some gadgets, is to improve the graphic rendering "motor" of AROS, with hardware acceleration and ram support.

First : try to achieve a fast and responsive "basic" workbench, then work on ergonomic improvements, IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 2:33

Edited by demether on 2009/6/14 3:20:03

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.