Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
13 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 12

phoenixkonsole, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Icaros Desktop LIVE! Boot from ISO problems - D945GCLF2 (iMica board) and more

Group:
Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
Just so you know, I had to install sata drive on sata port 0, set to legacy and use an IDE drive only. This works for me and is how I configure machines.

Sorry I am getting old and forget things like this, except when I am setting one up. I remember amswering this before, perhaps I should do a help guide in this forum.

Steve

Steve (or anyone else who knows)

Can you use SATA DVD drive and SATA HDD? If so, do I need SATA controller set to Legacy IDE or can I use AHCI? Likewise which option do I need for the Grub line ATA=nodma,32bit or ATA=nodma,nopci ??

Thanks
Meth

Posted on: 2009/12/2 4:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Icaros Desktop LIVE! Boot from ISO problems - D945GCLF2 (iMica board) and more

Group:
I have AROS working on my PC with SATA HD & DVD.

The problems I had before were solved by ncafferkey in this thread you mentioned in your PM.
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... php?start=0&topic_id=3465

I am not at home now, but I can later report the GRUB
boot settings.However I did not change anything in my bios so I'm pretty sure it is set to AHCI (will check later too).

I assume you too are using the latest Icaros 1.1.5 ?
What's the problem like on your setup exactly ?
For me it was LEDs on my keyboard blinking and no boot from the liveCD.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 5:10

Group:
OK, My BIOS says:

SATA0 Compatible mode: Auto
SATA AHCI Enable: Disabled

So I am most likely using legacy mode. I could not boot when I set it to Enable.

AROS boot fine for me with these default Icaros settings in GRUB:

menuentry "Icaros Desktop (VESA best fit, true colour, floppy disabled)" {
multiboot /boot/aros-pc-i386.gz vesa=32bit enableusb ATA=32bit floppy=disabled
}

Hope this can help you.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 10:42

Group:
Still no joy.. I can boot the LiveDVD with almost ANY settings but it doesnt want to create the partitions with nodma or nodma,32bit.

I know I am limited to 128gb partitions but I wonder if thats a HDD limit. I have only got 1.5Tb drives (really!) so I have been trying to keep AROS in the first 128gb of the drive in case that is the issue but no joy.

Is there some way to do this manually and create the AROS DH0 and DH1...????

Posted on: 2009/12/3 13:26

Group:
Can you boot the Live DVD with the same GRUB line as I posted?
Or are you forced to use nodma ?

Have you tried just for the sake of a test to set very small partitions for example DH0 4GB, DH1 4 GB ?

When InstallAros let's you configure the size ? What does it say next. Error ? Does it want a reboot ? And what happens after reboot? Normally you should then be able to go on with InstallAros and choosing "Use exsisting AROS partitons (on any drive)"

Can you verify that you are doing the installtions as described here? : http://www.icarosdesktop.com/icarosfiles/IcarosDesktop_manual.pdf

Posted on: 2009/12/3 22:30

Group:
Well I have read the manual!! Well all the install bits since I havent got far enough to worry about setting up the network and sound etc etc....

1) I'm using SATA DVD (manual says use EIDE!)
2) I wiped my 1.5tb drive moving all data elsewhere so AROS could have a blank drive. Its not very good at partitioning though... In the end I had to use the HD Toolbox and create a 40gb RDB partition and then AROS would install... however it has taken some HOURS to install.. the data rate is incredibly slow. Took 45mins just to format and copy the C dir!!
3) Manual shows/refers to partitions in Mb but Icaros is now GB (needs update!). I'd also suggest that Boot options should come in the manual BEFORE install options. Section 4.07 - should be Netbooks and iMica doesnt need 1024x600, just netbooks do (or some do).

Personally I'd like to see a bit more guidance on the setup and partition of drives. I've multi-booted Win/OSX/Ubuntu/Amithlon on many machines but AROS is the most unfriendly install I have ever come across.

When I went to bed last night leaving machine on installing AROS (I'd estimated 8 hours at the rate it was going) I thought to myself "this had better be bloody good!" and got down this morning to find the installer has confused itself saying one file already exists and would I like to overwrite it. That's a bug, sorry, feature --- so its still got hours to go!

I'll probably zap the lot and start again and make some more notes where I find the manual not too helpful. I know IU'm being picky but the point of a manual is to show you. Ideally you dont need one (Windows, OSX, Ubuntu) and Amithlon guide was only about 3 pages and works.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 4:11

Group:
Right. Wiped HDD again. Made sure no partitions by removing any with Acronis Disk Director.

1) Booted LiveDVD using option Vesa 1280x1024 as that is my screen size and gives picture. My USB Mouse works fine. The Safe Mode one gives gfx corruptions.Waited for boot to finish completely.

2) Selected Tools, InstallAROS, Selected 4Gb/4Gb as the sizes of the partitions and wipe disk.

3) Clicked go and error Partitioning of disk failed and "Disk is full".

Right. Wiped HDD again. Made sure no partitions by removing any with Acronis Disk Director. BTW it still shows the HDD as having a PC MBR in the AROS HDD Toolbox but I touched nothing.

1) Booted LiveDVD using option Vesa 1280x1024 but this time editted command line and added nodma to the ata=32bit option.Waited for boot to finish completely.

2) Selected Tools, InstallAROS, Selected 4Gb/4Gb as the sizes of the partitions and "wipe disk".

3) Clicked go and error Partitioning of disk failed and "Disk is full".

Any ideas? I've already made sure my HDD was on SATA port 0 and set to Legacy IDE and my DVD is on SATA port 2.

Do I need to do a rain dance to get Icaros to partition my HDD and install or is 1.5tb too big?

Posted on: 2009/12/4 5:09

Group:
You're probably the first person to try that big of a drive and uncovered a bug...

Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:22

Group:
I wonder whats the biggest HDD anyone has installed an AROS partition on?

I have an old Xbox HDD that if I can unlock it I can install AROS to. Otherwise I am screwed....

Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:27

Group:
Quote:

aMacMiga wrote:
Well if it won't boot on mine then I'm guessing probably it *won't*.

Here's a full rundown of my system:

Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 Motherboard (dual core)
2GB RAM
AOpen DVD/CDRW
Seagate 250GB Barracude 7200.10 SATA disk
120W 'PicoITX' power supply.

Do I need a PATA disk to use Icaros?

*UPDATE*

I set the ATA mode to Legacy, disconnected the SATA disk, and attached an PATA ATA/33 disk in the same IDE bus as the DVD drive setup as HDD Master and DVD Slave.

Booting the LIVE! CD now yields a different error, namely that in Safe Mode the kernel boots but then can't locate any bootable media to continue and goes into a 5-second retry loop saying:

No bootable disk was found.
Please insert a bootable disk in any drive.
Retrying in 5 seconds...
Retrying in 5 seconds...
Retrying in 5 seconds...

ad infinitum.

Again I'm totally flummoxed.

I get the same error on my Sony Vaio VGN-FW45GJ (ATI Radeon HD 4650) laptop and it has no IDE mode BIOS option i.e. SATA Blu-ray/DVD-RW combo...

I can still boot AROS 1.2.x Live CD on my other ASUS G1SN (NVIDIA Geforce 9500M GS) laptop.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 23:16

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.