Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
21 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 20

Yannickescu, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

freebsd/openbsd/netbsd/dragonfly hosted aros won't build

Group:
I wanted to see if the hosted aros worked under a BSD operating system so I downloaded and installed current releases and tried building AROS under the OS using
the git repos from repo.or.cz (my SVN password has never worked for me) Not surprisingly they all fail to build, here's some notes. Any hints/solutions welcome...

netbsd 5.0
afslib tool fails to build afslib/os.h include needs "|| defined (__NetBSD__)" added to line with (unix) and (__MACH__) (something presumes unix is defined and its not.)
build doesn't get as far as completing unixio-stubs errors show include problems regarding some GCC
related macros __GNUC_PREREQ__()
generated includes have type conflicts for __intptr_t __uintptr_t between Development/include and cc_include

openbsd 4.5
same error for building afslib because afs/os.h not recognizing OS type like netbsd 5
couldn't build metamake - some problem with autoconf or automake autoheader macros not present, probably forgot to pkg_add something important.
need to work on proper system software configuration and try again.

freebsd 7.0
fails to build in the initial unixio section with "expected declaration specifiers or "..." before 'va_list' errors for includes like exec_protos.h

dragonfly 2.3.2-devel -- needed to create configure.in targets for dragonfly & update config.guess and config.sub scripts then run autoconf to make new configure script.
target.cfg failures for ar and ranlib library creation through the bin/dragonfly-i386/links fail with unknown command type error
direct usage works though (replace lines in bin/drag*-i386/gen/config/target.cfg with ar -crv, ranlib, etc.)
generated includes have conflicts between what is in development/include and what's in gen/cc_include
for many system int types __pid_t __off_t __intptr_t, __clockid_t, __clock_t, etc.
manually correcting generated includes I got as far as trying to compile the contrib-AHI with failure
(older release versions of dragonfly did even worse because of missing library functions)

Posted on: 2009/7/29 13:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: freebsd/openbsd/netbsd/dragonfly hosted aros won't build

From AU
Group:
FreeBSD is the only one of those that has an "official" hosted port, but it hasn't been updated for a couple of years, possibly not since FreeBSD 6 or perhaps earlier.

Unfortunately the Unix hosted version of AROS is not at all portable - there's a heap of platform-specific stuff that needs to be known. This is something I'm currently working on, but its slow going. For the moment you're pretty much limited to Linux if you want to use hosted.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 17:58

Group:
Thanks for your work rob.
I'm just trying to document the current state, which is as you say, hosted on linux functions... but not much else.

I really want to see AROS-hosted running on a BSD, since it's licenses are more compatible, which should make porting drivers, etc. easier for someone who wants to see how its working elsewhere, such as dragonfly now supports ahci, or more sound cards, or perhaps port a graphics hidd to a lower level of the Xorg dri infrastructure instead of using the current x11 hidd.

I'll also try building hosted under other OSes, looking for patterns of what needs to be "looked at".

Posted on: 2009/7/31 6:15

Edited by edwberger on 2009/7/31 6:34:11

Group:
Here's update on OpenBSD 4.5.

I rebuilt system disk, found I had to update compiler (installed version [3.3.5] crashed making includes after fixing the os.h file to default to unix) and set some environment variables for automake and autoconf versions to the latest ones. with export CC=egcc ./configure [I used gcc 4.2.4 which when built is called "egcc" in OpenBSD] it goes as far as FreeBSD 7.0 did complaining about the va_list stuff.

That looks like there's a gcc version support problem for 4.2.x in the AROS include files.

If I have the time I'll try building under OpenSolaris from June, Minix 3.1.4 and OSX Leopard.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 6:26

Group:
OpenSolaris 0906

the standard gcc 3.4.3 (that "which gcc" finds) can't find stddef.h include file, saw another version in /usr/bin/ so tried export CC=gcc-4.3.2 and ./configure with better results
Build dies in building arosc.library with error while building compiler/clib no such file or directory
ld fatal file elf_i386: open failed no such file or directory

Posted on: 2009/8/3 8:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.