Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Dear AROS

From Norway
Group:
Shit, I feel I followed this project for ages.

To be honest things are looking a little dark for me these days, when I look at the future or AROS.

It's so sad when thinking how much been done, and how close but still so far we are from being a real alternative to other OS.

Seams like we lost our best developer (sszymczy) The man behind OWB.

I guess being an open source project have some real disadvantages. There are no developer that needs to do anything, and people do as they wish. Quite understandable but still quit confusing.

One example is the lack of some real file management. We have DOpus, but it's not working as it should.
That is kind of the point here. We have lot's of stuff working, but just half way.

Also supporting developers have come to a point where I lost my interest. Not that I want to go into detail. But I was promised stuff that never been done, and I'm tired of it.

I also come to a point where I think Anubis might be the only way of survival for X86 Amiga like system.

Anyway. Hope I'm wrong. I will still be around ;)

I have to thank Neil, Deadwood and Georg for still making things happen to AROS.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 9:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dear AROS

From Gaia, Portugal
Group:
I cannot really disagree with you on most points...

Specially with the half-way there. While it's understandable in the hardware support, it's kinda disappointing to have half or incomplete ports of third party software. Some system tools seem more hacks and patches than a complete and integrated solution.

MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 are more well established - admittedly.
But it's also a sparkling diamond to be shaped and modeled. It's all ours (community) not closed source. It's not hardware dependent. Ok and so on.. everyone here knows the story and goals of AROS...

But I like the project, and I have some confidence in it, if not it's like deadwood's (or maybe not) words on AROS - I like to play part in something that makes sense to me and that I fell comfortable with. Even if my role is very insignificant...

On a more positive note:
I have one interesting news - I've been dwelling with DOPUS and I'm getting it work with things that never did. Launching Shell commands for once... Also I go the filetypes to be recognized, problem remains in launching the appropriate tool.

Of course there are bugs which I cannot address - one of the most idiotic being if you rename the file/dir with the same name, it gives an error, but it's too late - it's lost!

Also I'm looking on ways to integrate Theme/GFX/Zune/Fonts into a simple and more common affair to the user...

Posted on: 2009/10/1 10:40

Group:
Someone posts this kind of stuff at least once a month.

Learn to code and write something. Otherwise support some of us that can be bothered developing for AROS. Help do some testing, whatever.

If I was a millionaire and didn't have to work for a living I'd have finished with AROSPDF long ago, created an official ScummVM port, and moved on to plenty of other stuff. It's not due to a lack of interest, it's just that I can't spare the time.

It's funny that in the last few months we've had stuff people were begging for like a web browser, proper USB, etc. then a couple dry months go by and some people are acting like the project is dead.

How about Anubis actually has something working before everyone jumps ship? I like the idea as much as anyone else but most of it is just talk so far and we've already had one management switch on the project. It's in far, far worse state than AROS.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 10:52

Group:
I don't expect miracles with AROS. But I try to think that even if progress sometimes is slow there is not any other thing out there I'd like to support either. So my place is here with you other nutcases

It isn't until MOS or OS4 goes of-shelf-cheap-x86-hardware that you'll get rid of me.

Please continue support bounties folks, we have the gallium 3D software/hardware that is important now IMHO.

We'll get there it's just one step a time.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2009/10/1 11:44

From Norway
Group:
cjkiesau wrote:
Someone posts this kind of stuff at least once a month.

Learn to code and write something. Otherwise support some of us that can be bothered developing for AROS. Help do some testing, whatever.
[quote]

Well, I never posted something like this before, and belive me, I might have been AROS biggest fan.

Other reason I had to reply is that even if I can not code, I put lots of money into AROS, both to developers and bountys. I'm also pretty sure I'm the nr 1 used beta tester for AROS, and I will continue to test stuff, so you relax a little, cause I done many things for AROS that you don't know!!

Posted on: 2009/10/1 12:00

Group:
Come on guys cheer up. I know it may seem I have not been around long but I dreamed of the Amiga being top dog in 1990 and worked for 10 years to try and promote it and I am still waiting. However, right now we have a great little OS that produces great new work every month or two.

It is improving constantly and who knows what may come along in the next couple of months.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 12:19

Group:
nikolaos I think you screwed up the quoting, but I hope you don't feel singled out by what I said. I appreciate what you've put in to the project. I apologise if you feel it was directed at you.

I'm just saying unless you can contribute in whatever way, there's really no use in complaining. Most of us developers don't lack motivation, just time.

If you look objectively at it, AROS had made a lot of progress in the last year. A lot of people are back in school now or holidays are over, so progress might drop off, but there's still stuff going on.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 12:57

From Norway
Group:
clusteruk: I don't want to come here and make people unhappy. I just wanted to say something about how I feel.
I will still be around, but not as before.

I know in a project like this, there are people doing lots of work, without being payed for it.
That might be problem nr 1. There are no real mamagement, and there are very few active developers. Most projects are only done half way.
I was hoping that after OWB came, lots of new devs.. and users would show up, but I was wrong.
I feel very sad about that, and I don't understand why people don't see AROS as an OS alternative.

Think how great it would be if AROS could manage to just have one dedicated payed developer like sszymczy.

Anyway I have to thank the few devs.. that are spending lots of their free time contributing to making AROS better. Without you AROS is nothing.
There are some real nice people with this project.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 12:58

Edited by nikolaos on 2009/10/1 13:14:09

Group:
Nikolaos, I understand your frustration, and I do hope you know that your contribution to the AROS community both as a tester and fan is noted and admired (I've heard praise about you from outside the usual AROS community too for your enthusiasm and support).

However, I would like to echo what others have said here, progress is being made, even if that progress is slow and patchy. OWB really did make a difference by the way, I've noticed quite a few people who have been indifferent to AROS before give it a go due to work like OWB, Icaros, Poseidon, etc... That might not have translated into a huge jump in developers, but the more time passes the stronger AROS becomes, both in numbers of users and features.

Think about it this way, if AROS has a big push for bug fixes and polish to what we already have, and we got a big new feature like Gallium3D, how would you describe the health of the project? More developers would be nice, but in reality it's not just the number of active developers that matters but rather the accumulated work made by developers past and present that counts, and there have been a fair number of those throughout the years, AFAICT.

It's natural to go through lulls of enthusiasm every now and again, don't worry about it. There are still projects on the horizon I'm excited about, such as Janus-UAE, Shotofop, our first commercial game Chaotic Vortex (even though I prefer OSS I still think that it's a good sign), the new SDL port being worked on, the continuing work on AfA OS.

Hope you'll see the positive side of AROS again soon matey.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 13:49

From Norway
Group:
HenryCase: thx, very nice and well written.

After using so much time on AROS trying to do and think about what can be done to make it where it's should be, you come to a point
where you just have to face the real world, and guess that is what happened to me.

As said I will follow AROS as long as there are life for it, and as you said, I might get more involved again.

I know stuff are being worked on, and that is great.

From my point of view there are 3 things that is on top of the list.

1. Give AROS a way to handle files in a nice way. DOpus can be it, if updated and fixed.

2. Someone should maintain OWB, since sscyzmy is not with us anymore. First of all
make scrolling faster, as Fab1 (fantastic morphos developer) said was very easy, and would guide anyone that wish to do it.

3. There sure is something wrong with AROS-TCP. It's just to slow. Lots of people can confirm this. I tried all nic cards AROS supports, still the same.
Not that it's bad, but should have been faster.

Someone fix those 3 things, and I might be very entustiastic again :P

Posted on: 2009/10/1 14:16

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.