Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
12 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 11

cybergorf, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Icaros Desktop Light ran on a very old laptop
Guest_
Hi,

I ran Icaros Desktop Light CD on my very old IBM Thinkpad 600 laptop (P2 366MHz/288MB RAM). :).

Here are some problems I come across:

I have a PCMCIA NET 10/100 card in my laptop, but I'm not sure if AROS support this and if so how can I use it?

I have also no sound when I run any game like DOOM or for example AHI prefs and next press "Play a test sound".

Another problem, when I press CTRL+ALT+DEL there is a reset, but after that nothing happens (something like freeze - black screen and no text displayed from the BIOS).

Ok,that's all for now. When I find out how to connect to the net and get audio playback I will test OWB and MPlayer :P

Regards

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:47

Edited by ami_stuff on 2010/1/9 21:45:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Icaros Desktop Light ran on a very old laptop

Group:
Hi,

At this time, there are not many laptops running Aros native with support for both sound and networking. The Acer Aspire comes to mind. Most have better luck running Aros hosted. But that really needs a beefier cpu than you have there.

Anyway welcome to Aros-Exec. Best of luck, hope you enjoy it.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 22:24

Group:
Sadly, PCMCIA is not supported and probably never will. The 600 has the cs4232 audio chipset with no support in AROS currently.

If you have the time, the best option is a linux install with AROS running hosted.

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 22:43

Group:
Quote:

If you have the time, the best option is a linux install with AROS running hosted.

Or, even better, a combined use of that laptop with a recycle service. There's no practical job a P2/366 MHz cpu and 288 MB of RAM would perform in the modern world. You can expect running fine little AROS demos and applications, but just forget anything from the 21st century like playing movies, emulating the Amiga, surfing the web and so on. If ever 366 MHz would be enough to open OWB and use it, any current webpage would require more than 288 MB of RAM to be displayed.

Please run Aros on decent hardware.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 1:10

From Virginia USA
Group:
While I agree with everything paolone said, I also want to add that there are other Operating Systems out there that may be a better fit for that laptop. MinuetOS and KolibriOS are some of them. However, don't expect it to do many things at the same time due to memory limitations.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 7:22

Guest_
Thanks everyone for info about supported hardware and advices.

@paolone: This laptop is very ancient, however Win XP run on it without problems. I can browse the net with Firefox (when I disable these shitty Flash adverts), watch small DIVX movies with VLC player and so on. I wanted to check how AROS will work on it, that's all.

For 21th century things most people use decent hardware with Windows anyway, because there is a software which people use for business etc. No need to torture yourself with anything else except just for fun, hobby. ;)

Posted on: 2010/1/10 7:45

Edited by ami_stuff on 2010/1/10 8:07:57
Edited by ami_stuff on 2010/1/10 8:14:41

From Ireland
Group:
@paolone:

I find it inappropriate that you attack everyone who wants to try AROS on older hardware. I think it's remarkably closed-minded and ironic, given that someone with only mainstream computer interests could easily come to this site and list lots of reasons not to use AROS on any hardware.

I regularly use a 400MHz PII (under Windows), and it's fine for web browsing, word processing etc. Yet I'm supposed to pollute the environment by recycling it and buying a replacement. Can't you let people use the OS they choose and the hardware they choose?

Posted on: 2010/1/10 9:32

Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:

...wants to try AROS on older hardware. ...

...to pollute the environment by recycling it and buying a replacement...

thanks. so true.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 23:08

Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
@paolone:

I find it inappropriate that you attack everyone who wants to try AROS on older hardware. I think it's remarkably closed-minded and ironic, given that someone with only mainstream computer interests could easily come to this site and list lots of reasons not to use AROS on any hardware.

I regularly use a 400MHz PII (under Windows), and it's fine for web browsing, word processing etc. Yet I'm supposed to pollute the environment by recycling it and buying a replacement. Can't you let people use the OS they choose and the hardware they choose?

Sorry I dind't want to seem harsh. The problem is that I usually have to deal with "but my Amiga500 did this with 7 MHz processor a 1 MB RAM" people, and I forget how to be nice. Anyway, this is the Icaros Desktop forum of AE, and I clearly state that minimum requirements for ID are higher than a 300 MHz/288 MB configuration. You can still run the system on it, but you can't expect a proper experience.

I also perfectly know that such a configuration can still be used with some degree with Windows XP: it is painfully slow (I just sold a old notebook with higher specs, that was slow), but works. The issue, however, is that it's not true on AROS too, since we still lack of some nice features like video overlay acceleration (which would speed up video rendering) and sometimes I feel our system goes mad and slowdowns without apparent motivations. For this reason I frankly prefer suggesting to use it on better hardware.

regards,

Posted on: 2010/1/11 0:55

Group:
I started trying AROS on a P1 200 with ArosMax it was fast and usable. But now we have many apps with higher needs like Mplayer and OWB. The best on such a old Laptop is to use a nightly/stable as basis and add just the things you need (or things which will work : ) ) You can get cheap Notebooks on ebay which would better fit your needs under Aros.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 15:11
www.ares-shop.de the ground for our app-store

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.