Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

WiFi bounty draft

Group:
OK, we have seen a lot of people mentioning WiFi and we have seen a handful of laptops that are well supported by Aros so far. Aros could make the first full featured Amiga laptop become reality and I think it is time to define a bounty now. For a start, I think it could look something like this:

Quote:

- Provide a working wifi stack with support for infrastructure network
- Optional (maybe phase2): provide ad hoc network support
- Must be capable of WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i)
- Must provide a working driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 chipset
- Must provide a working driver for Ralink RT2500 based USB devices
- Optional (maybe phase2): provide a graphical configuration tool and network monitor

Please comment on this and suggest additions where you think it is neccessary. Also comment on the chipsets, maybe the people with Aros laptops that already have working sound & LAN can post which WiFi chip is built in. The Intel Pro PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 is very common in Centrino equipped laptops such as the NX7010 that I tried. I think it makes sense to include a USB device aswell for all those who have an unsupported chipset. I suggested the RT2500 because I believe they are quite common (e.g. ASUS and DLINK sticks among others), but maybe someone has a better idea.

@ncafferkey: Neil, since you IMHO are the best candidate for this bounty maybe you could comment on this aswell.

When everything is set, I am willing to start the bounty (I never started one, but I'll try to figure out how to do so).

Posted on: 2010/1/13 13:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: WiFi bounty draft

Group:
I've often heard the prism2 chip set mentioned in regards to a wifi driver. But I have no idea which would be better.

The Acer Aspire seems to be doing very well in the driver department lately. What wifi chips does it have?

Regardless, I would make a contribution to this bounty. Along with the other steps Aros is taking, wifi would certainly help get us to the next level.

I know there is some open source wifi code out there, but it would probably still take a hefty bounty to get things rolling.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 23:53

Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:

The Acer Aspire seems to be doing very well in the driver department lately. What wifi chips does it have?

It's an Atheros one. Atheros wifi chipsets are quite common as well.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 0:44

Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:
I've often heard the prism2 chip set mentioned in regards to a wifi driver. But I have no idea which would be better.

We already have a prism2 driver, but it only supports WEP and PCI devices (hard to get and of course not suitable for a laptop). There are a lot of other drawbacks: Most prism2 devices are PCMCIA (not supported by Aros). There are very few USB devices with prism2 chipset and I have never seen an onboard one. Besides, prism2 is 11 MBit only. For those reasons, I'd rather not include it into this bounty.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 1:55

Group:
Quote:

paolone wrote:

Atheros wifi chipsets are quite common as well.

True: linky

Looks like it already supports 108 Mbit/s, the Ralink I mentioned supports only 54. I guess we should try to check out which chipset is best supported on other open source platforms for a reference.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 2:01

Group:
I could be wrong here but I don't think the wifi stack bounty should require a developer to buy any specific type of wifi card. It would be better in my opinion if the developer could choose to either modify the existing wifi driver to support the new stack or provide one for hardware they already have. Just my opinion tho.

Tim.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 6:42

Group:
Quote:

terminills wrote:
I could be wrong here but I don't think the wifi stack bounty should require a developer to buy any specific type of wifi card. It would be better in my opinion if the developer could choose to either modify the existing wifi driver to support the new stack or provide one for hardware they already have. Just my opinion tho.

I partially agree with you.

From former discussions about this same topic, it emerged that the current Prism2 driver is quite obsolete for nowadays wi-fi requirements (security and so on), and that a proper wi-fi infrastructure must be developed first. So I think that the bounty should be as like as we already said here, but instead of specifying a particular adapter, it should say something like

- provide at least a working wireless device driver
- provide the necessary documentation to help other driver developers as well (at least in form of source comments)

suggestions?

Posted on: 2010/1/14 6:54

Group:
Quote:

terminills wrote:
I could be wrong here but I don't think the wifi stack bounty should require a developer to buy any specific type of wifi card.

What I would like to avoid with this bounty is that we end up with a nice new WiFi stack but without supported hardware. The goal of the bounty should be a ready, easy to purchase solution for the Aros users. The RT2500 based USB sticks are available for something like 10€, Idon't think this should be a problem.

Quote:

paolone wrote:

- provide at least a working wireless device driver

Hmm... pretty close. Maybe we could name a list of very common chipsets and let the dev chose at least one of them.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 7:16

Group:
@colani1200

There's nothing stopping people once a stack is provided from starting a bounty for individual cards. The goal again this is in my opinion is to provide a proper stack that can hopefully in the future support as many cards as possible and not be tied to specific hardware. This is thinking from the point of view that by tying the bounty to specific hardware people who might have donated may choose not to simply because thier hardware isn't supported.

Again this is just an opinion.

Tim

Posted on: 2010/1/14 7:27

Group:
Quote:

terminills wrote:
@colani1200

The goal again this is in my opinion is to provide a proper stack that can hopefully in the future support as many cards as possible and not be tied to specific hardware.

This is a good point, we should integrate this into the description.

Quote:

This is thinking from the point of view that by tying the bounty to specific hardware people who might have donated may choose not to simply because thier hardware isn't supported.

Still I would like to see a complete working solution when this bounty is completed. Even if the users' particular hardware isn't supported yet, it should easily be possible for them to buy a supported card. This makes USB the first choice because it's both suitable for desktops and laptops.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 7:40

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.