Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
21 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 20

Yanosh, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Finally my AROS-full-compliant machine is ready! Let's install Icaros and have fun ;)

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Hi,

I was lurking around for a while, but then recently I managed to find the missing pieces for my Aros native machine, so I want to share my "funny" experience ;)

My PC was already almost AROS-Compatible, being an AMD Athlon 1600+ on a ASUS A7V266 mobo equipped with ATI-Radeon 9800 and Sound-Blaster Live (EMU10K1), what I added to complete is the NIC (Realtek 8139) and an unused 20Gb ATA hard-disk to dedicate at Icaros.

SO LET'S GO! Finally I will be able to surf the word-wideness-of-the-web with OWB scrolling pages at full speed!!!

(In this days I also made some benchmark tests of AROS running in different virtual-environments, but since the feeling of "trying to run swamped in a pond" I decided to do my best to make it run native. I will publish the benchmark results in another post, I think they are interesting!)

Yeah, let's go native! Insert Icaros 1.2.0 DVD, wipe-disk, reboot, format, install... and here the issues started:

- randomly I got error messages about DMA errors, not sure if it was about hard-drive failures or DVD-RAM reading failures, I just clicked "Retry" button everytime, and seems that I got Icaros installed (It took a while anyway :-S )
The hard-disk was used before with no problems formatted as a windows NTFS partition, was full of data and never had a bad sector or writing/reading issue on windows, while the DVD-RAM already gave me some problems, so I thought DVD was failing and didn't care about this errors...

Installation finished, removed DVD, reboot... configure network, start OWB: Generating fonts cache... pls wait... "Error launching OWB" :( Ouch..

Increase the stack same error (I will provide a screenshot and other info in another post)

"Maybe the new release and Icaros 1.2.1 update will make it work" I tought... yeah! Let's try! But how to download the update if I can't use OWB? Hmmmm...

And here starts the real fun:

- Let's try with WGET! I saw a WGET-Gui icon in Amistart>Software>Newtork group... oh, pity GUI is in Polish :/ Well I understand a bit of Polish lang so let's put the source URL, the destination, et voila: WGET-Gui got stuck trying to something-only-god-knows and there was no "X" or CTRL-C way to stop it... in an attempt to kill it with SCOUT only got a complete AROS freezed system :(

2nd try:

- Let's download it on my Linux laptop and then put it on a USB pendrive! Then insert the USB-Fat32-Pendrive on Icaros: Got a message from Trident that a new device was recognized, good... then nothing. I admit I'm ignorant on AROS-USB support, but shouldn't a memory devices be mounted automatically and an icon appear on the desktop? No? How should I use USB Pendrives on AROS?? Sorry if I missed some tutorials, I'm digging now in AROS-ICAROS PDFs, AROS-EXEC forum and Paolone's blog, but nothing useful found so far :(

3rd try:

- Icaros has a nice FTP server starting automatically! Let's transfer via FTP! On Linux: $ftp 192.168.1.50 , anonymous, bin , put Icaros-bla-bla.tgz ...waiting for transfer to complete... wait... wait... please wait.... don't be impatient... wait... wait... (no progress bar), chcking network stats on linux, no one single bit moving :/ Hmmm... Icaros? Are you there? No :( Only 3mb transferred then TCP stuck, no connectivity, reboot needed :((( Another tentative in the same way I got transfered 4 mb then stuck again.

4th try:

- We have as well an FTP client on Icaros! And my Linux box is an HTTP/FTP server, so let's do opposite way: open Marrano-FTP and connect to my FTP-Linux-Server! Yeah, until "open Marrano-FTP client" it worked, everything else not :( Seems that to connect to a FTP server you have to add it on a "address-book", ok but I can't save the address book, the Log-Tab shows an "error saving something" ... no useful information found with Snoopy-n-Sashimi... Yes I saw a post on Aros-Exec that suggest to copy Marrano-FTP executable and launch from RAM: to create some settings file then copy this file to hard-disk then it should work.. but in my case it didn't :(

Hmm.. Mumble Mumble... no OWB, no FTP-server, no FTP-client, no USB... I could burn a CD with this iso file on my Linux box.. but it's on an old laptop without CD-burner :( Maybe Icaros have just a command-line wget that was launched by this Polish-GUI? Wanderer>Shell>wget BINGO!

5th try: So, wget http://www.icarosdesktop.com/updates/Icaros-blabla.tgz ...it works! Ehm.. whaaat? 20 minutes ETA? 50Kb/sec? Hey!!! I just downloaded it from Linux at 250Kb/sec from the same link! I can't wait another 20 minutes! Is already 2 hours I'm here trying :)))

Ok, let's download the fu$#!n .tgz update with WGET but from my Linux-WWW-Server...

6th try: wget http://192.168.1.120/Icaros-blabla.tgz .. 200Kb sec! EEEEK!! On a 100Mb-LAN?! Are you kidding? And also again this "DMA error message", now I know there are issues with the hard-drive .. or with AROS-and-my-hard-drive :/

Wait.. let's try to launch wget from RAM-drive. Transferring... speed 7Mb/sec... damn slow but I could finally get the .tgz transfered on ICAROS! Now, let's unpack it with Zune-Arc, done... let's launch LUA and select the .iso.. Again "DMA errors" :( Now after a couple of "Retry" Icaros freezed and I had to reboot... :(((

Ok, I'm stubborn and I want to try again! I got full Icaros installed clicking one million of "Retry" on DMA errors, I will install the update same way.

But... after the reboot, open RAM: where is my .tgz? and my .iso? YOU STUPID! IT's RAM!!! :(((((( Again wget, again ZuneArc, now in AROS: and then another million "retry" to finish the update.

Reboot...

Wow! I have a nice red-arrow with a shadow :)) Cool, really! And OWB? Click... generating font cache... Unable to execute OWB :(

Ok, enough for today it's about 3-AM so better take some sleep... and let's think positive! I learnd many things today:

- Icaros/AROS is still an ALPHA release. Remember!
- Networking needs improvements in terms of speed and stability
- QA is needed in Icaros in order to polish-clean many programs included (I will do my best to help Paolone in this way)
- AROS don't like very much my type of hard-disk or controller or both... needed some investigation...
- We need another browser for "emergency" cases if OWB doesn't start... With a simple-html web browser you could post on Aros-Exec asking for help...
- On Saturday night there are much better things to than staying in front of PC until 3-AM ;)))

Any suggestion / idea / tips or trick to solve OWB and DMA-Errors issues?? I will add anyway more info about this in other posts.

And thanks if you are reading until here :) Hope you enjoyed :P

--LuKe

P.S. This long story is not to blame Icaros/AROS but to give my feedback as "Mr. Everybody user" on it. I'm an Amiga fan like you and I hope this testings can contribute to improve Icaros/AROS.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 6:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Finally my AROS-full-compliant machine is ready! Let's install Icaros and have fun ;)

Group:
Be great to know how other VIA chipset motherboard owners get on with booting and installing (is -nodma required).

What make of hard drive and DVD are you using? Are you able to verify the DVD burn was okay? A 20GB drive might be getting near to the end of its life? That DVD drive misreading could also be a problem?

I have something similar happen where if a CD is burnt with drive won't necessarily work in another. Try again in another burner and it works. Always catches me out.

Another option is to test using a USB pendrive but not until DVD reading issues solved.
I wonder if Paolo upcoming USB pendrive install will work independently of a DVD burn?

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 7:32

Re: Finally my AROS-full-compliant machine is ready! Let's install Icaros and have fun ;)

From Finland
Group:
I have DMA problems too ( via chipset )
only ata=nodma grub option works.

other problems are IMHO related to DMA and corrupted disk.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 7:39

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Thanks jeffrey1138 and Sami!

I'm pretty sure the hard-disk has no problems, yes it's not new, but the day before using with aros was full of data and never showed a read-error on Windows.

Maybe all the mess is due to some VIA chipset issues that corrupted data installing AROS? This might explain OWB not starting due to corrupted system libraries/whatever?

It's a nice theory.. okay, next "AROS night" I will repeat all installation with -nodma, but I'm really scared about hard-disk performance then :(

And this will bring me again to the start: Need to change mobo to make the PC AROS-compliant... :/

Other question: Do you know if we have a "checkdisk" tool in AROS? To check filesystem errors? (no need to check sectory-by-sector).

--LuKe

Posted on: 2010/3/28 8:04

Group:
I would not worry about losing DMA performance - small price to pay for lack of DMA errors. Replace ATA=32bit with ATA=nodma not -nodma - my typing error...

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 8:30

Edited by jeffrey1138 on 2010/3/28 8:52:11

From Ireland
Group:
ATA=32bit,nodma can also be used, which is usually a lot faster than just nodma.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 12:33

Guest_
Got no Problems with this Hardware Configuration!
Icaros runs fine on a Partition of a SATA Harddisk!
(Icaros shows only 120 MB of Chip Mem although Radeon 9600 seems to have 256 MB)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200)
Motherboard Name MSI K8MM-V (MS-7142) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/12/06)
Communication Port Kommunikationsanschluss (COM1)
Communication Port Kommunikationsanschluss (COM2)
Communication Port Druckeranschluss (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 Series - Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 Series (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
Monitor Plug und Play-Monitor [NoDB] (933GH3XY01097)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital (SB0220) Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
IDE Controller VIA Serial ATA Controller - 3149
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0 (465 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive STM3320418AS (298 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 35000 MB (22738 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 476929 MB (11422 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 149997 MB (103008 MB free)
Total Size 646.4 GB (134.0 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID-Tastatur
Mouse HID-konforme Maus

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Posted on: 2010/3/28 19:48

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Well well...

Hi QBit1000! Happy thay you got your Aros runnig :) But your mb chipset is not the same as mine.

My beloved (grrrr) A7V266 has a VIA KT266A VT8366A + VT8233 chipset (http://active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/a7v266-e.htm)

And I think we can put it on the black-list of not working hardware on http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Pla ... port#NOT_WORKING_HARDWARE
(by now I mean, for the future... I have a strong trust in aros-developers ;) )

Here are a couple of screenshots from tests with ATA=32bit,nodma / ATA=nodma

(At the moment the same hard-drive is hosting Ubuntu 9.04 without any read/write issue so I would exclude it as part of the issue)

Awaiting for some fix in aros ata or to buy a new PC (maybe imica/aresone? :) ) I will go back to my VBOX/Qemu Icaros.

Ah, no, installing on USB is not an option here, my mobo doesn't boot from USB pendrives :(

Cheers and thanks all for support.

--LuKe

Attach file:

jpg  ata_32bit-nodma.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  ata_nodma.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/3/29 3:33

Group:
Is it possible you can send me the links in eBay for these two cards: Sound card and Ethernet card? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 18:46

Group:
Have a read of this thread

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... t_id=27708#forumpost27708

Sound Cards

search "ebay soundblaster live" and avoid all 24 bit cards

referring to this page

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Pla ... ndblaster_Live_and_Audigy

Network is a little more work but most recommend 3com see here

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Network_support

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:49

Edited by jeffrey1138 on 2010/4/15 20:24:10