Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Broadening AROS audience: target tinkerers ( a brainstorm thread)

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Well, so another milestone in AROS has been reached, and is the installation/boot from USB stick.

I personally think that this is the right moment to try to make AROS get known a bit outside the usual amiga people.

Amiga had a good reputation among hobyists in the past and several people used amiga OS as base for their own hobby projects; this is the kind of people that might appreciate AROS for its lightweight, the act of being free and its relative ease of maintenance and development.

Have real life experience of my best friend father that used Amiga and a c64 to drive some Ham radio equipment; is not the first time I tell it here, i know, but in example, given some software port this people might use again AROS since is an environment that they already know;

another field of interest is in RC/robotics project; some of you already seen this thread on Amiga.org about Morphos and the Efika cad that can be used to drive robots, and in the same thread is also present a tool to program Lego Mindstorms robots via USB.

This is part of people that would like to target. But also, since i started this thread as a brainstorming one to see areas where AROS can be a good alternative and where to push it and how, would like to hear your suggestions.

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/3/30 7:54
Binary Doodles - english blog
Twitter
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Broadening AROS audience: target tinkerers ( a brainstorm thread)

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
I forgot to say one thing: I know that the master OS for tinkerers is linux and the second one is windows; is just that those OSes sometimes have so much features and tools that might be kinda complicated to develop some tool that requires less memory footprint and goes to the basics.

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/3/30 9:49
Twitter

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
And another thing: is there a way from USB or serial port to read/write signals using RAD tools such as batch scripting, Regina REXX or amilua? (this as you can understand is a requirement for people that want to do tinkering)

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:25
Twitter

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Ok, this same thread is going on in arosworld.org, and had occasion to get some feedback from cavemann:

Quote:

Amiga tinkerers should like Aros since its somewhat 3.1 compatible, with a cpu on steroids compared to 68k.

There were some articles that NASA (the ultimate tinkerers) were using Amigas at one time. I wonder if they even know about Aros.

AFAIR most robotics people are using specific languages that may not be ported to Aros yet.

At this time I think the main advantage of Aros for tinkerers is its quick boot and shut down.

BTW... http://singularityhub.com/category/robotics/

So he thinks so far the main advantage of aros is the fast boot and shut down, and the architecture is friendly to tinkerers that come from amiga, we know that.

I asked if there was some way to read i/o form extenal interfaces like serial or usb from high level languages such as amilua or rexx: nothing technical but this is the answer:

Quote:

I don't know much about Amilua or Rexx, but high level languages are not designed to explore the hardware. Instead they are an abstraction layer to shield you from the hardware. I'd be suprised if you find a way. Besides, are there any modern devices that really use the serial port anymore? It's really slow.

I forgot to mention bluetooth technology. With support for bluetooth an operating system can interact with many devices that are fun to tinker with.

Also do not overlook Midi. Many people have used Midi to sequence automated event timing, such as in light shows and animatronics.

Yes, seems for tinkerers wireless (including bluetooth) technology is the way of the future; interesting also the part about piloting lights and animatronics shows using midi (bellagio fountain in Vegas came to my mind, but guess is much more complex that that...).

I wonder if that can be done using a program like bar's and pipes - remember hitchhikr was trying to port it... is it finished, and can pilot midi stuff? can AROS go out in midi?

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/4/2 12:45
Twitter

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
[BuMp!!!]
Well, this was supposed to be a brainstorm thread; anybody want to add something or give me informations?

Was thinking: should i try to go in some RC or robotics or HAM radio event and try to propose AROS there, beside local LUGs?

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/4/11 13:52
Twitter

From Italy
Group:
AROS could be usefull on carputers because of it's light weight and because it's free, but it lacks many feature/programs and stability. Maybe it needs to be more mature for this type of things.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 14:22

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
@yanosh

TRy to describe some of the features you would like to have in order to use AROS in your projects; the idea is to put it down in writing so that might be useful as a guideline.

By the way, am not talking only about the OS missing features and the usual stuff as repeated many times in amiga and aros forums; i already wrote upwards about midi, bluetooth (belongs to the wi-fi part, dont know if is integrated in the wifi bounty) and some RAD tool or language that can be used; what else you would like to have? Any tool/toolkit/driver in particular? Presume you want to do a project and use AROS; what should be in your checklist?

Saimon69

Posted on: 2010/4/11 15:03

Edited by saimon69 on 2010/4/11 15:29:50
Twitter

Guest_
While most OSes can be customised to a users tastes, Amiga OS (and inheritantly AROS) in my opinion is the ultimate system for customising. A user can be in complete control and know thier system inside out, but more importantly it's so very easy to do, while *nix and Windows require more work to end up with a less exact result. With a little time I can see AROS becoming one of the systems of choice for people who, for example, want to make a dedicated mame cabinet,... simply launch mame from startup-sequence/user-startup and that's all there is to it. The core of AROS is only 20 or so meg and it's so very easy to strip/customise. Only DOS rivals it for ease of use in this regard, but AROS has some obvious advantages over MS-DOS too.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 20:51

Guest_
Elaborating on this a little, AmigaOS/AROS, while currently lacking in some areas for software, can be easily customised to a persons needs. Want a fully fledged OS, install icaros or spend some time setting up your system your own way, want a dedicated mame box?, strip out unused stuff from a nightly and alter startup-sequence/user-startup a little, want to make a dedicated emulated fast cd32?, strip back a nightly, add a script or 2, buy a cheap mini itx board and put it in a cd32 case, and have it launch straight into euae/juae (something I want to do, hence the example ), want to make a presentation?, simply use a couple of command line utilities from within scripts (something I thought was never really utilized with amiga os to the degree it could have been,.... within a day or 2 of learning a person could be making professional looking presentations without dedicated software, just a few small shell tools for gfx/sound/txt/etc files and a little bit of scripting).
Anyway, I could go on and on, but I guess the idea is just that for a few different reasons AROS is very easy to set up as specific or generic as a person wants/needs and has a heck of a lot of potential for the tinkerer. While linux is also quite flexible (moreso, but only due to software base) in this area it's not nearly as easy for Joe Public to tailor their computers exactly as they'd like (as the amount of people wanting to install "live" amiga forever to harddrive without luck for a number of years suggests (for a random example))..... who knows, maybe one day AROS can replace Linux for this "version" of AmigaForever

Posted on: 2010/4/12 4:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]