Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
19 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 19

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Printing subsystem

From Poland
Group:
I know these screenshots with AROS version of Printer Preferences aren't fresh but I think the're good for starting my post ;)
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/gfx/PrinterProj1.jpg
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/gfx/PrinterProj2.jpg
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/gfx/PrinterProj3.jpg
and here software:
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/drivers/Printer.zip
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/drivers/PrinterPS.zip

As we can see we have printer preferences. What we still havent is printer.device and printer drivers. Anything else?
I think we haven't chance to find developer who make for us port o CUPS but maybe we are able to collect money for reimplementation of AmigaOS printer.device and one or more driver working with quoted Preferences program?
I know AmigaOS printing subsystem isn't very interesting in 2010 but this may be our first step.
Lets start Bounty "Printing subsystem (Phase I)"

Posted on: 2010/5/3 11:55

Edited by tomek on 2010/5/3 12:22:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Printing subsystem

Group:
AROS (like AmigaOS)is missing the basic functionality of standard system printing page setup, print options, and print preview requesters, that should be available to any application that can print. It shouldn't be necessary for every application developer to roll their own.

page setup would have standard options (plus user customizable ones) for selecting orientation, page sizes and media types. (a starting point would be the ones listed in the IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) standards documentation.

Print options should have place to select which pages of a document to preview, print or print to disk as a file (all, current, range) print file types could be PDF, SVG, PNG, JPEG.

It should have settings for N-Up, duplex, add job-sheets, finishing features like staple, punch, cut(roll type media).

Posted on: 2010/5/3 12:54

From Poland
Group:
Ok we know Amiga Printing aren't perfect but in AROS we still have nothing in this area...
We can wait next 10 years for modern subsystem or do one little step.
Please describe project "minimum" with possibility future progress...

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:04

Group:
too bad turbo print doesn't seem to want to do an Aros version of their software.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:14

From Germany
Group:
What about Ghostscript? IIRC it has some built-in printer drivers. If this works we'd need a printer device which creates postscript files.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:33

Group:
im curious on this now.
didnt trident be of any help on this field?
i do think gs (wooosh port) is a good part of the need solved, but i really dont know what im taliking about....im just guessing.

i think i hear someone did tests with copy to par as sucess?!?!?

i hope that join the dots helps in this field.

best regards,
ps: imho, have a intial printer subsystem that can be upgraded latter a way to go. if we reach aos state on aros, seems to be a very good step.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:44

Group:
Today you should be able to copy any suitable file to a printer that is connected to SER:, PAR:, or the USB or network based equivalents.

The question is how should applications like OWB know what to generate as an appropriate output file (postscript/PDF/PCL6/ESC,etc, ascii text, bitmap at what page size, what resolution and in what color format) and send it to the right place (local or networked printer), should they be notified the printer is out of paper or ink/toner, job completion, unreachable over the network, etc.

Under AmigaOS 3.1 an application would query the printer.device which would read the printer prefs file(s) and talk to the selected printer driver (which was custom for each printer) for that info and give it to the application program. Along with consulting its own prefs for page setup, etc, the application program would then use some controls given by the printer device to control the actual printer driver and feed it the right commands, binary bitmaps or ASCII text data to do the print job.

I'd recommend starting with creating for AROS standard (ASL like) printing support requesters and developing a new printer prefs file standard and printer.device that could integrate well with CUPS, Ghostscript, etc, which are currently developed and supported open software projects.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 14:22

Edited by edwberger on 2010/5/3 14:47:10
Edited by edwberger on 2010/5/3 14:48:11

From Poland
Group:
Maybe this is good description: ?

AmigaOS printer.device replacement plus printer driver (Initial Printing Subsystem - Phase I)

1. Must work with at least one popular, modern USB-printer model (HPDeskJet family?)

2. Must be able to print from ever program with print option.

3. Must be able to change printer preferences via Printer Preferences program.
This may be existing Zune-based program developed by Peter John Hutchison or its own.
All options from original AmigaOS Printer Preferences program/P.J.H. program must be usable and effect must be same as with AmigaOS native driver.

4. Must be possible future integration with GS, CUPS (?)

Posted on: 2010/5/4 14:57

CUPS (prev: Printing subsystem)

From Poland
Group:
I see no enthusiasm for this way :)

So, maybe just "Common UNIX Printing System for AROS"?

What should be required for first initial version?

1. Working CUPS port for AROS.
2. Must include at least two drivers for popular USB printers (two different producers).
3. Must be able to print from ever program with working print option (possibly indicate software must handle).

Is it enough for description?

Posted on: 2010/5/6 0:00

Re: CUPS (prev: Printing subsystem)

Group:
Quote:

tomek wrote:
I see no enthusiasm for this way :)

So, maybe just "Common UNIX Printing System for AROS"?

What should be required for first initial version?

1. Working CUPS port for AROS.
2. Must include at least two drivers for popular USB printers (two different producers).
3. Must be able to print from ever program with working print option (possibly indicate software must handle).

Is it enough for description?

Whatever's the consensus about the printing subsystem, I'll put a bit of money into the bounty. CUPS would be a good option but integrating with the Zune prefs should be part of the bounty I think.

Chris

Posted on: 2010/5/6 2:29

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.