Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
13 user(s) are online (9 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 13

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Norwegian in London

Group:
Hi,

Those of you hanging around AmigaWorld may have seen my long walls of text once or twice already ;) Or you may have seen that I'm planning on adding a feature or two to the console.handler (AROS compiling as I write this...)

Anyway, I'm a 35 year old Norwegian who's been living in London for the last 10 years. I got my first Amiga in 1988 (A500), and left in 1998 after having used the A500, an A500+, an A2000 + bridge board, an A3000 w/Ariadne and Picasso.

In the meantime I was quite active in the discussions about a replacement for AmigaOS in '94/'95, but then "faded" out of the community when my first business consumed all my time from '95 onwards...

When I left in '98 it was for Linux, which has been my primary platform since. I've been lucky to rarely have to touch Windows :)

I returned in January after the X1000 announcement - having just briefly checked in on various Amiga related sites in the meantime out of nostalgia. It just hit the right buttons at the right time. Perhaps it's an early midlife crisis.

I want an X1000, but I also think that AROS has an important place - I'm very much an open source supporter - and I think that the various Amiga-like systems need to be brought closer together, at least in terms of making it easier to develop software for all the different variations.

At the moment I have a Minimig, and run a classic AmigaOS install in UAE on my laptop, and also have an ICAROS install (hosted) that I play with.

I have a ton of ideas, but not enough time. My first priorities is to add what's missing to make it possible for me to move effortlessly between classic (for when I get an FPGA Arcade and/or Natami ;) ), OS4 (for when I get an X1000...) and AROS on one of my x86 boxes, and to get it to where I can use one or all of them for most of my daily computing use.

Step one for me was to find a decent editor. I've started maintaining and cleaning up the excellent classic AmigaOS editor "FrexxEd" and intend to make it as portable as possible (getting close to start porting it to AROS).

Step two is going to be the AROS console handler since it just bugs me...

Step three will probably be a complete Ruby port for AROS and classic (I know there's a miniruby port of 1.8.4, but that's ancient and limited)

And I have what some might consider delusions about the feasibility of starting to add memory protection... ;)

Posted on: 2010/6/23 12:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Norwegian in London

From Poland
Group:
Hi vidarh,

Welcome to AROS and AROS-Exec. Nice plan you have there :) I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in upgraded console :)

In case you are interested in joining the dev team, here is some information:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documenta ... bute.php#joining-the-team

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:02

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

Group:
Welcome vidarh !

And as I said in that other thread earlier you are right on the target, AROS console is a bit of PITA right now it needs some more love.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:12

From Norway
Group:
Hei Vidar.

Flott med flere Nordmenn i AROS land ;)

Det er kjempe flott med flere utviklerer også.

Velkommen :D

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:15

Group:
Quote:

deadwood wrote:
Hi vidarh,

Welcome to AROS and AROS-Exec. Nice plan you have there :) I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in upgraded console :)

In case you are interested in joining the dev team, here is some information:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documenta ... bute.php#joining-the-team

Thanks, I actually requested and got SVN access a while ago - I just haven't gotten the time to do more than look at it before now :) And I just signed up to the developer mailing list today.

Vidar

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:42

Group:
Welcome,

"about the feasibility of starting to add memory protection... ;)"

lots of things are happen that i would never thought it would be possible. aros has mp support (in some degree) planned since it starts, and i think you just found the right place.

whatever you heart beats for one or other flavor of "amiga" aros is the playground! ;)

welcome, and have fun! (im also 35, but cant C code...damm! =o/)

Posted on: 2010/6/23 17:15

Group:
welcome..

Posted on: 2010/6/24 6:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.