Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
18 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 17

DizzyOfCRN, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Online with my Dedicated AROS Box

From Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Group:
Just a small report and hope to provide more information later for new users like myself.

With ref to my previous posts I would like to thank those who posted replies and thoughts as any information is always a great help.

So here I am sitting with a dedicated system. No more years of playing in virtual machines or live cd/dvd which never held my interest for to long.

I am running a MSI K8T Neo motherboard with 512meg DDR400 ram, 3400+ AMD CPU, Nvidia 5500FX gfx, floppy (not tested), IDE CD/DVD combo, IDE 8 gig HDD (ex xbox) and 120gig Sata2 drive and an internal mem card reader.

I have not fully tested the onboard audio and network properly as im still trying to figure it all out. I guess reading more manuals will help.

I added 1 of the SB Live sound cards but the model is a CT4830 and so far does not work. I tried several network cards and found the RTL 8139 works fine.

I tried running Icaros Desktop 1.2.0 but had a few problems so I am downloading 1.2.4 on another PC now. I installed Broadway 0.0.2R6 and it installed fine so I performed an up2date but only went as far as SP2. I remember reading there was a SP4. This version did see my SB Live sound card but it did not work.

I now have installed Broadway 0.0.2R8 with SP4 and it runs like a dream. In fact might i dare say the network speed for loading pages actually seems faster on this newer revision than the older 0.02R6.
But it will not see the SBLive. Still I have 3 more cards to try and if not will buy one from phoenixkonsole and his software package.

So it still a hard choice as to which version of AROS to run as I had preconceptions that Icaros was a day to day AROS whilst Broadway was geared for Multimedia or Media Centre and Games. But how wrong was I . So i think i will run both version on 2 seperate HDD and chose to boot via the boot menu on this motherboard.

I have much learning and reading but i can honestly say now how exciting this is to finally become more active on the scene again. I hope to be able to contribute in some way in the future. Whilst not a programmer I can offer money or purchase hadware or donations etc. Perhaps a website for newbies or tutorials or video tutorials. As a newbie myself I expect many problems and trying to find more software to run and games etc.

My greatest joy atm is finding most of my USB sticks, mice and keyboards and Int mem card reader work like a treat. Ive only tested the CF cards atm but more to follow.

As a small side note (before I carry on too much...sorry its all the excitement of getting online with relative ease) as I have access to huge wads of hardware and peripherals (im an ex IT guy), that I hope to test and should I be adding them to a wiki site for compatibility or are there other sites I should be looking at?

Cheers and thanks again all those involved for such a great peices of work.
It is sooooo good to be using Amigaish software again after so many years after selling my 4k back in 2000.

Darron

Posted on: 2010/11/6 22:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Online with my Dedicated AROS Box

Group:
Great - enjoy yourself.

You are the second person to have problems with the CT4830, it is a compaq version of SBlive, which makes me wonder if they have done something to these particular cards...

or being via chipsets, try the card in another pci slot...

Post the hardware tests here or on the wiki, your choice.

Additional videos and/or tutorials always needed, see wiki...

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 23:38

From Naples, Italy
Group:
Quote:

darroncox wrote:
Just a small report and hope to provide more information later for new users like myself.

Your sentence sums up the reasons why I am so proud to be part of this community
Thank you!

Posted on: 2010/11/7 13:28

Group:
Nice one Darron, glad to hear you're having fun with AROS.

Quote:

darroncox wrote:
As a small side note (before I carry on too much...sorry its all the excitement of getting online with relative ease) as I have access to huge wads of hardware and peripherals (im an ex IT guy), that I hope to test and should I be adding them to a wiki site for compatibility or are there other sites I should be looking at?

This is just the thing, I'm sure future users will be grateful for your hardware testing:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.