Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
13 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 13

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Diary of a new AROS user.. :-)

Group:
preliminary remark: The last time I used a real Amiga dates back to '96 / '97. I have experience with Windows (up to XP) and Mac OS 9 / OSX. I am not programmer, just an ordinary computer user. I'll write this little diary to document my first steps with AROS. Maybe you programers find it interesting what a "normal user" feels about certain things, what his problems are, what he likes etc.

Dear diary,

today was the big day! I finally received my TC-2200 AresOne 2010 from Vesalia. I got an upgraded AresOne system:

- AMD Sempron 2,7 Ghz
- 2 GB RAM DDR2 PC800
- Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Low Profile (PCI Express 2.0, 512 MB RAM)
- SATA DVD-RW-drive, black, 22x/22x/DL 16x/16x
- 500 GB HDD
- incl. AROS, A-Live X Softwarepack, AMC-Licence, Art Effect 4.0 and Amiga Forever 2009 OEM

Instead of Icaros, it came with Broadway V.0.0.2R8 SP4.

When I finally held the parcel in my hands, I was really excited. Almost as excited as when I got my new Amiga 2000 about 20 years ago. It seemed that a huge fun experience is just ahead. With shaky hands I took my old digital camera to "document" the unpacking. Once I had peeled the AresOne out of the box I put it on my desk and a Samsung SnycMaster P2270HD on top to accompany it. Ah, what a lovely combination!

Next plugged in the power cables, an old Mac Pro Keyboard + Mouse and connected TV and AresOne via HDMI cable. After choosing the right screen mode in my TVs menu (which took me a while) I was ready to go. I started AROS with the nouveau drivers Vesalia was so kind to install. Alright, the screen turns dark. 1,2,3,4 .. (remembering the "how quickly does AROS restart" youtube video) ...mhh...still dark screen? 16,17,18..... hey, shouldn't something come up here? ....24,25,26 ...alright, something isn't working properly? After waiting another minute I decided it is time for a restart and entering another screen mode. This time I'll try the VESA option and cross fingers!

Ah, here we go... the lovely desktop screen is here. I'm finally using AROS. Yay! Alright, Landstalker, now look around and try to understand what's going on here. The dark colors of broadway is a bit depressing, isn't it? But let's take care of it later. RAM Disk..oh, I surely remember this from my old Amiga days. Gets deleted with every restart but great to store downloads & stuff you won't need after a single use. Also, two more drives: AROS and work. Pretty self-explanatory. One is the basic system files and one is for my files I guess. The icon row continues with "Documents", "Downloads" etc. Great idea..this should allow quick access to those files.

Looking up the right corner shows a clock. This brings back memories of the very clock on my Amiga 2000 and Workbench 1.3? Man, that was sooo many years ago, unbelievable.

And what is that AresOne symbol in the lower right corner? Does that do anything? oh why, it expands a dock. Cool feature! And the dock even expands vertically. I wish my OSX dock could do that. Let's see, pretty much software installed already. That will keep me busy for some time.

Oh, look at that - games. Got to try that. 1941xtreme.. I used to play 1941 on my best friends C64 twenty years ago. But before starting it, I want to try something. I reach out for a USB Competition Pro I bought sometime ago. If this works, it'll be almost like back in the days! I plug it in - AROS immediately recognizes it as a Competition Pro Joystick. Wow, I'm impressed - instant recognition? I hit the 1941 symbol and get ready for a nostalgic trip to my youth....

Bummer. The game doesn't recognize the Joystick. And the scrolling is sluggish. Why? And where is the sound? I increase the volume of my boxes. I can hear the music but it's fairly quiet. ah, I suppose I need to set the general sound level of the OS higher. There must be an option. Just where?

I give up. Found the sound option in the prefs but it says the sound is already at max db. Odd. There must be a way to solve this. But not now, I'm more interested in whether AROS can import the photos I took with my digital camera.

I connect my USB card reader 2.0 to it, insert the card from my digital camera and..wow.. it gets immediately recognized and shown with its own desktop icon. I choose the pictures I want and copy them into the photos folder. hey, that's easy!
But wait, it doesn't show any photos in that folder? "11 hidden" says the bottom of the box. Oh yeah, I remember.. the AmigaOS had this file-hiding-thing going on. Right click on the mouse brings up the menu bar. I choose "window" and finally show all contents. haha, just like in the old days. I've not yet forgotten everything. Now all the photos are there. Lovely.

But how to rescale them in size now? I'd like to post them into my diary thread but I have no idea on which program to use? Didn't i get "Art effect", the professional graphics package with my AresOne? While reaching for the pack I press the button next to the DVD drive. It doesn't move. Huh? Is this broken? Another try. Nothing, it is stuck and doesn't move. Great, how am I supposed to open the dvd drive then!?

I decide to look into this matter a bit later and instead try one of the three included "imaging" programs. I choose "AmigFig" because it sounds less suspicious and see it opening up within a second. Alright, now let's open the pictures. I use "open" from the menu bar. Doh, so many folders to choose from. This looks like Windows. Alright, now let's sort this out...this is the basic folder, where are my "photos", "music", "music" desktop folders? They're not there. Strange. Are they simply shortcuts and thus somewhere much deeper in my system?

The door opens - my little five-year old wants to play soccer. Yes, daddy is on hiw way, hang on a moment. (though dad would rather love to play "AROS" instead)

Just let me copy that text into the browser window and click on "submit" for completing the 1st AROS diary. I'll be back in the evening and do more AROS exploration and possibly the second entry to my AROS diary.

Until then....

Posted on: 2010/11/13 7:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Diary of a new AROS user.. :-)

Group:
: D Great! I like your enthusiasm.
About ArteEffect:
You would need the Registration code.

Please try JanusUAE in the starter(dock).

Starter->Classic->JanusUAE

Than run the emulation. it should boot up AmigaOS and you will find Arteffect on Work: (Inside the Virtual Amiga)
From there you can run the installer and enter the serial.
Also you can change their the screenresolution of the emulated Amiga. If those matches to your real AROS resolution, you can activate the coherency mode from the Janus GUI.

I am a bit curios about nouveau? It should work! It must work.

I will follow your diary.

One note:
Broadway will be much brighter..
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... t_id=49637#forumpost49637

I have finished a new version (still dark) but i am waiting for 2 small pieces.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 7:51

Edited by phoenixkonsole on 2010/11/13 8:18:58
www.ares-shop.de the ground for our app-store

Group:
If you wan't a brighter Theme you can go to the drawer "prefs" and try out the Themes-pref.

A short way is to use the dock ->prefs->Folder this will open the prefs folder.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 8:28

Group:
Congratulations on your new AresOne system. I hope to be able to save up for one myself. Managed to get enough for a temporary system for now.

Strange that Nouveau didn't boot up. Do you have a different monitor to try? Maybe try one with a DVI cable. But Nouveau should have booted up even on a HDMI setup.

On the dvd drive, does the light come on when booting up? Like when you first turn it on? You might look inside and see if the cables are plugged in. It's possible that the cable came out during shipping. May not have, but strange things have happened to me before.

I am eagerly awaiting the next update of Broadway to try on my new system. And also the next Icaros too. I wish there was a way I could have both installed and pick one or the other in Grub.

Maybe if I put a second HD in, but even if I do that, it would still see the DH0 of the 1st hd and probably wouldn't be able to put a DH0 on the other HD. I'm going to have to try some experiments when I get some free time. :)

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:22

Group:
Quote:
Cajun_Man wrote:
I wish there was a way I could have both installed and pick one or the other in Grub.

Maybe if I put a second HD in, but even if I do that, it would still see the DH0 of the 1st hd and probably wouldn't be able to put a DH0 on the other HD. I'm going to have to try some experiments when I get some free time. :)

It would be straightforward to set up a system that could boot into either Icaros or Broadway, and you wouldn't need another hard drive either, just need to re-partition the one you're currently using.

Which operating systems have you got installed already?

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:49

Group:
I've got Icaros 1.2.4 installed right now. It's a 80 GB hd which is a 74.5 in actual size.

I have DH0: as 31 GB and DH1: as 41 GB. I would have to shrink these down to be able to fit both.

Would like to know how do install both. I know how to re-create the partitions, but would like to know how to have both.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:56

Group:
Quote:

Cajun_Man wrote:
I've got Icaros 1.2.4 installed right now. It's a 80 GB hd which is a 74.5 in actual size.

I have DH0: as 31 GB and DH1: as 41 GB. I would have to shrink these down to be able to fit both.

Would like to know how do install both. I know how to re-create the partitions, but would like to know how to have both.

Thanks.

If you already know how to re-create the partitions then you already know all you need to know. Backup your personal files, create the partition table you want, install Icaros and Broadway one after the other, add Grub menu option for AROS distro not shown, done.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 13:59

Group:
Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
Quote:

Cajun_Man wrote:

Thanks.

If you already know how to re-create the partitions then you already know all you need to know. Backup your personal files, create the partition table you want, install Icaros and Broadway one after the other, add Grub menu option for AROS distro not shown, done.

Cool. I'll wait till the new versions of both come out. Grub part is the part I'm not up to par with. Usually the Linux or Aros has it done for me, so I've never changed or added anything before.

I know I saw a post where someone showed how, I'll try to find it.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 15:05

Group:
Not sure if it will help with HDMI output

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284124-15-geforce-8400-hdmi

The best native photo editor, at the moment but still high hopes for lunapaint, is lodepaint but it requires OpenGL - ie the Nvidia card working.

ArtEffect needs to run under emulation JanusUAE but not sure if Janus has been setup yet with AmigaForver already.

Jeff.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 23:19

Group:
@all
about he nouveau:
It must work, because he has the same HW as i on my table.
I fear that the installation was not correct.
At the end of the boot up he gets a line Couldn't open the ext.handler" ???

Whatever i suggested to download a nightly and try the nouveau option to see if it works. Also i am rotating now to upload R9 with the AMC demo... but this is real life and we find still bugs and small typos... i wan't to bring it up today.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 4:16

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.