Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
23 user(s) are online (9 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 22

cybergorf, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Aros on asus eeepc 701

From Spain
Group:
Hello, is aros capable of being installed on this model of asus eeepc?. It's one of the firsts with the 7" screen and 4gig ssd drive, wich makes it ideal to put aros into instead of putting windows or linux on it.
Has anyone managed to try it?. ZSince the days of my toshiba lappie(never managed to get aros into it), always fanciend a native aros laptop. Maybe with this netbook it could be possible.
Thanks in advance!!!

Posted on: 2011/5/16 7:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Aros on asus eeepc 701

Group:
I guess the easiest way to find out is to install AROS on a USB stick like I have done with my EeePC 1001P and give it a try.

I expect that graphics and sound will probably be okay from a quick look at the specification, but I think like me you will be out of luck for now with the lan/wifi support.

If it feels usable running from the USB drive you can then install to the built in SSD and free up the USB port, that is my plan anyway with my netbook.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 8:26

From Spain
Group:
Seems that i will need to try it. Thanks for the reply. Will post the results here when done.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 6:42

Group:
I have killed my install with copying the files to devs: and so on..... no boot anymore..
Hmm... interesting... does it work on IcAROS?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 3:46
www.ares-shop.de the ground for our app-store

Group:
Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
I have killed my install with copying the files to devs: and so on..... no boot anymore..
Hmm... interesting... does it work on IcAROS?

It depends on what you tried to update. How old were the components you overwrote?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 13:39

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Phoenixkonsole,
Are you having the same probelms as decribed in this thread? Also, I've found recent versions are fussy as to what is plugged into the USB slots - e.g. if my usb to parallel cable is plugged in at boot it hangs the kernal just after the initialisation of the PCI devices. I have to boot with poseidon not enabled and manually start it from the startup-sequence.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 13:20

From Spain
Group:
Well, it's weird because i have tried to boot aros via an external cddrive with a bootcd. It always end on black screen, except when selecting native modes that it hangs showing sata messages.
I only succeed once and it entered into workbench, then tried to format the drive to install it, but then, the same as always, black screen or sata messages then stops doing nothing.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 9:42

From Sol-3
Group:
Whilst slightly off-topic, I can state that AROS does run on Dell's Inspiron 910 ('Mini-9' stateside) netbook; that is a link to repair hardware guide, which should contain some of the key technical details...

I use one of them both for native AROS and for the creation of my Icaros+Revolution project, so you can use it either way, via USB booting.

I haven't tried instilling it on one of the mini-PCIe SSD cards, but it should work, as this is essentially a standard PATA interface using NAND memory and a controller on the PCIe bus. I even have converters to use Flash memory (that is also PATA) and SATA drives. The latter I haven't examined, but it may be a true SATA controller, or it may masquerade as one.

The beautiful thing is that you can buy a 910 for between £35 and £100 (plus P&P, in most cases)!

The 802.11b/g card is not supported, but you can change it to the one supported version, used in the Aspire systems; the Dell machines are an overall better design, although after seeing a USA keyboard, you may want to buy a UK or Europe model... Then again, the UK keyboard is inexpensive.

I advise buying one with a tiny SSD, as these are the lowest priced, and then buy an adapter to use CF memory. YOu can buy this type of adapter on eBay for around £4 including P&P: Mine arrived in a very decorative red textile, sating finish and white satin lined presentation box, embossed with a golden rose; very posh.

I was shocked, as most of what I receive out of HK generally is nude, or in a plain white box. Nevertheless, packaging doesn't make a product.

When have a chance to archive one of my smaller CF cards, I shall install it into my 910 and try doing an AROS configuration on that; then rate it. That's on my 'to do sometime' list.

Once more, it does boot AROS from a USB pen drive (£3), so if you're on a budget, you could potentially buy a model without an SSD or with a corrupted SSD and tinker with it before going further. Do not buy one with that won't run on an AC adapter! if in doubt, ask the seller, as it is possible to damage the charging system, and it is very difficult to trace the fault.

If you damage the circuit path that conducts DC to the battery, the system won't run, as the DC source to the mainboard is powered by the same circuit, and as I recall, it is not traditionally fused.

System with other issues are an easy repair; the system is simple to dismantle, and there are even touch-screen kits and other fancy additions and upgrades for those so inclined.

I don't know what the rather singular supported WiFi card will cost, but I use AROS hosted, so I haven't tried to investigate... The system does have both Ethernet and VGA-out ports, plus three USB 2.0 ports and an SD-card slot, though sadly, the SD card is not a bootable device.

The 910 runs OSX as well--there is a special OSX86 build for it--so it is easy-peay (in relative terms) to create a quad-or-penta-boot system (pure AROS, Linux, BSD, OSX, Windows, etc.) and configurable USB bootstrapping options allow a deal of flexibility: I have a halfp-dozen operating system pen drives on my key fob.

I find it sad that neither MOWS or OS4 run on the i386 platform; it would be brill to see either running, hosted on OSX using Rosetta. I imagine you could use Darwin+Rosetta and the requisite APIs to create a suitable environment without the rest of OSX ...

As to the Asus systems, you should try installing it first to a pen drive. That may solve some of your problems, and will also allow you to use a fully-working 'Icaros' or 'Broadway' environment on the system to discover what AROS sees, in terms of hardware.

I wouldn't use a bare AROS install, as this may require much in the way of extra effort on your part to install: use one of the two packaged versions for optimal results.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 11:09

From Spain
Group:
The problem is that i can't get it to install the system. It's weird, and it's getting tiresome. Will i ever get a laptop system i could put aros on?.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 6:19

From Ireland
Group:
What's the last output on screen when it fails to boot? Have you looked in the BIOS whether you can turn on IDE compatibility mode?

Posted on: 2011/9/4 7:55

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.