Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
24 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 24

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

As I see it Desember 2011

From Norway
Group:
I think that if we get Zune up to date with MUI 3.9, get Fabs OWB running, some minor fixes and updates to Wanderer, video overlay, we are in for some serious interest even outside Amiga World. I hope that by this time next year we will have around 100 active users.

What we seen in 2011 is that for first time we have some real serious software and games (even 3D games) that runs without any kind of problems. Before 2011 I felt we had very few programs that worked as it should. We now have netbooks that are fully supported, even wireless. It is more easy than ever to get AROS running with stationary PC hardware first of all thanks to Nouveau and Gallium 3D that works with most Nvidia cards.

Most important, AROS itself is much more mature and stable than before 2011.

Amen :P

Posted on: 2011/12/21 7:37

Re: As I see it Desember 2011

Group:
Yes. We're about to accomplish phase 1.

Phase 1 is time when you look just at the operating system and at its own shortcomings. You don't care so much about application software and games, but you're focusing on the promotion and the enhancement of the OS itself, trying to get attention from your own community and to convince some other developer that there is a new venture out there, that needs some attention.

Soon we will be approaching Phase 2

Phase 2 is time when you understand that OS codebase is just good enough for everyday's task. You discover that you can do many things already, and that those things magically stopped to crash the system once per hour. You even notice you haven't pressed the reset button any time today, nor you're worried anymore to need it soon. And now you feel frustrated because you would do on AROS the same things you do on mainstream platforms, if only the needed applications were ported.

Phase 2 is the one that worries but also excites me. During Phase 2 we will get many new users, both from the Amigans who never tried AROS but got too curious, and also from other platformers who just got sick of Windows/Linux and want to play with something else.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 7:51

From Verona - Italy
Group:
Aros user are really glad of the steps that the system is doing much to put aside my amigaone although I have to fix it.

We hope for the fix to zune and the port of fab owb.

Good job to all programmers

Posted on: 2011/12/21 10:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Yep, this year has been exciting, with Wifi and video drivers, improved Sdl and Mesa gaming, and saying good-bye to many paper cuts. The full list is much longer... But I should at least mention some great 2011 distros

I like the vision of an Owb version with Zune fixed. But also on the horizon, Abi_v1, Scalos, and possibly even getting Acpi working.

I think Aros-Exec has already started to see some curious people lurking around. Not to worry, there are many friendly people here, ready to help and share their knowledge.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 20:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]