Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

crasbe, phoenixkonsole, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What dependencies does Aros hosted on Linux have

Group:
As I am going to either build a VERY small footprint Linux distro or steal somebody else's version, perhaps if any body has a list of the bare minimum dependencies that are needed for Linux Hosting.

I realise X windows, Sound, networking but as a reasonable newbie on hard core linux setup it would be great if this information is available.

In case you do not know why, this is for the Rasberry Pi projects I am working on. Plus it would be good to have it written here any way.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/1/13 4:59
http://www.amiga25.org
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What dependencies does Aros hosted on Linux have
Guest_
I cant really offer too much here, but to say I believe there's a few different possible routes. I know sdl is an option for gfx rendering for example (not sure about sound,input,etc.), but where does sdl itself sit in the linux scheme of things ? What does it rely on?

This isnt to say Im only interested in using sdl, but rather highlighting the usefulness of a thread with this sort of information.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 6:23

Group:
Minimum requirement for SDL is the framebuffer, pretty much, though X is likely to be better accelerated and can be trimmed down quite a bit if the purpose is only to run AROS. The big part of a modern Xorg distribution is fonts, locales and a load of binaries that aren't needed and a ton of drivers most of which you can throw away if you only want to support a fixed hardware config.

My recommendation would be to look up debian and start with a minimal network install in a VM.

I have a half-finished script to rebuild my AROS dev VM from scratch, and these are the only packages beyond a minimal debootstrap result that I depend on to actually *run* AROS hosted:

libx11-dev # Required for X11 drivers for AROS hosted
libxxf86vm1 # Not required to compile, but required to *run* AROS hosted under X
openbox # Small window manager (change to whatever you prefer)
uml-utilities # TUN/TAP networking for AROS hosted
vnc4server # Run AROS hosted under VNC (so I can access it remotely)

To compile AROS in a minimal setup you need a bunch of additional packages (let me know if you want a list of the minimum required). Note that installing the packages above will install more stuff that they depend on.

For a standalone setup you'd want to replace vnc4server with xserver-xorg and pick and choose driver packages ('apt-cache search xserver' on a Debian box will give you a much longer list than you'd like of packages to pick from) and then you can butcher it by deleting a bunch of files - create a basic VM, make a copy and take detailed notes of installation steps is my advice...

openbox is not necessary if you want AROS-hosted to boot into fullscreen and stay that way - I only include it because the same VM has a UAE setup so I can test code on both AROS and AmigaOS.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 6:56

Group:
An interesting point on the development dependencies, because this Rasberry Pi board is aimed at ensuring people learn to develop so I guess we would need that stuff.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 8:24

Group:
The only Debian packages *needed* to compile AROS on top of the ones I listed are (note they'll pull in more via dependencies so you'll end up installing a whole lot else too).

build-essential subversion automake autoconf bison flex netpbm python

Frankly you could just as well include a script that runs "sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes build-essential subversion automake autoconf bison flex netpbm python" if you were to base it on Debian, and people can just run that to get what they need - the build tools are pretty large.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 8:45

Group:
@ vidarh

At least the users would have an option, great information though, thanks.

By the way did you get my PM

Posted on: 2012/1/15 6:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.