Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 25

samo79, XDelusion, 4pLaY, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Recommended Graphics Card

From Doncaster, UK
Group:
Hi,

I've recently installed Icaros on a spare PC, the PC is a compaq D500(I think) and Icaros installed very well, sound and networking work great.
The problem I have is the gfx card, it's an 256mb Geforce 6800XT. It works great for everything except 3D games so I am assuming incompatibility with the current Nouveau drivers? The games launch and I can start them fine but seconds after being put into the game, the whole PC hangs. I'm looking to get a gfx card with better compatibility and was wondering if anyone could recommend one with a good chance of compatibilty?

Many Thanks in advance!

Andy

Posted on: 2012/6/9 4:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Recommended Graphics Card

From Germany
Group:
3D support is always difficult on native AROS systems. Here's a list of bearsoft's ATI drivers:

http://www.syntaxsociety.se/~bearsoft/

It would really be interesting to get a full list with graphics cards its support status. Best with Device ID from the PCITool. The Vendors are mostly the same:

0x1002 - ATI
0x10DE - nVidia
0x8086 - Intel

There are mostly different subvendors.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 5:19

From Doncaster, UK
Group:
Actually I think I've got to the bottom of this, I don't think it's AROS at all. I think the 6800XT is on it's way out.
My Compaq EVO D510 is a spare PC that I dedicated to AROS, well, over Xmas I popped the old Windows XP HD back in, and get the same issue under Windows.

Time to source another nvidia AGP card I think!

Posted on: 2013/1/5 2:28

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
My ARESONE uses a Nvidia 8400 (Low Profile PCI Express 2.0, 1024 MB, VGA/DVI-I/HDMI) and it works well, including 3D (Neverball works nicely). And I bought it new last May.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 5:48

Group:
General rule of thumb:

nvidia up to 9x00, or gt220/230/240/250. Newer cards up to gt5x0 also sometimes work, but for the most part support isnt nearly as good as earlier cards.

While 3d is obviosuly going to be slower the Intel driver also supports both 2d and 3d. It also has the advantage of not having the graphics corruption glitch that often creeps in with some nvidia cards.

Ati cards currently have no 3d acceleration, and to be honest Im not too sure of the state of ATI support in AROS. Last one I used with AROS was an X550, but other newer cards are also supported (2d only) nowadays.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 8:00

From Oregon
Group:
I own a Nvidia 6200 (PCI | Note: I haven't tested this on the latest build), 7600gts (APG), and a ATI HD 3800 graphics card (PCI Express | VESA mode). I'm unable to test the 7600 since I don't have a computer that supports AGP. The 6200 is able to display the desktop correctly and 3D applications run with slight graphical glitches. I'm unable to run more than a few applications before the desktop crashes. Once I run a 3d application, I cant run anything else or the desktop starts to glitch badly and crash. The 6200 doesn't work in VESA mode. The 3800 works flawlessly in VESA mode. I can run a bunch of applications with out any issues except the occasional lockup or crash. Hardware acceleration doesn't work at all.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 22:44

Group:
Icaros 1.5 (and nightly builds up to Jan 3) had different problems with the mainstream nouveau driver, which Deadwood tried to address with a series of hack (there's a discussion about this). You can fix most Nouveau problems with Icaros 1.5 by using the alternative driver included in the Storage/Drivers/AresONE drawer.

The soulution, though, should already be available in current nightly builds. If you can't wait for a Icaros patch, just download the last native pc-i386 build from aros.org, and replace the 'nouveau.hidd' file included in devs/Drivers with the most recent one.

That's something I should do as well, since I have a GF7800 which gives me graphics corruption and glitches in many games, from Hurrican to Frogatto (they both work well with Intel driver), but I'm short of time ATM.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 1:34

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Quote:

paolone wrote:

The soulution, though, should already be available in current nightly builds. If you can't wait for a Icaros patch, just download the last native pc-i386 build from aros.org, and replace the 'nouveau.hidd' file included in devs/Drivers with the most recent one.

If you have an AGP card you will have to replace also 'aros-bsp-pc-i386.gz' located in 'SYS:boot/'

An might be useful if you post here the model of your card and if it's working or not :)

Cheers

LuKe

Posted on: 2013/1/6 11:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.