Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
14 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 13

BSzili, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Zune related questions

Group:
Quote:
jman wrote:
The verdict is that there's always a third possibility beyond being blind or dumb: a software bug.

Ah then i honestly apologize for misjudging the situation and perhaps make you feel accused wrongly.

I just didn't think of it being a system-issue because my favourite icaros dev-setup (based on ancient 1.3.3) has not shown that problem.

Good we (or actually you) were able to figure out what is the culprit. Please dont be offended by my wordings (i do apologize again) and hopefully you will continue (and enjoy) with your programming-efforts.

regards,

Posted on: 2012/8/26 1:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
@magorium hey, no offence taken I had a WTF moment when I suddely verified that on my other Icaros installation I didn't see the bug anymore.

Thanks again for all your efforts to help me sort out the issue!

Posted on: 2012/8/26 1:57

Group:
Quote:

* When I dinamically add items to a group through OM_ADDMEMBER and the new buttons contains a longer text the whole group is correctly resized.
However if I use the opposite method OM_REMMEMBER the buttons are not resized back. I attach a sample src code to show what I mean.

I am quoting myself because Kalamatee provided some sample code that helped me a bit.

However there are still two points I don't understand (please see attached sample src code).

1) How does the MUIA_Group_Virtual attribute work. I've tried (again) to grep through all AROS src code, examples, wiki, my grandmother... nothing found to help me on this.

2) Referring to the quoted question, If I add a new item to a group, the entire group resize to fit the longest label, but if I remove the new item, the group does not resize back unless in the group there's an empty group.

Thanks for any help - I'm kind of losing my marbles on this 8^)

EDIT: where did the attachment go?! I'm attaching the sample file again.

Attach file:

zip vgroup.zip Size: 54.64 KB; Hits: 30

Posted on: 2012/9/9 13:04

Edited by jman on 2012/9/9 22:44:41

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

jman wrote:
Quote:

* When I dinamically add items to a group through OM_ADDMEMBER and the new buttons contains a longer text the whole group is correctly resized.
However if I use the opposite method OM_REMMEMBER the buttons are not resized back. I attach a sample src code to show what I mean.

I am quoting myself because Kalamatee provided some sample code that helped me a bit.

However there are still two points I don't understand (please see attached sample src code).

1) How does the MUIA_Group_Virtual attribute work. I've tried (again) to grep through all AROS src code, examples, wiki, my grandmother... nothing found to help me on this.

remove that line and change the group object to a VirtgroupObject

Quote:

2) Referring to the quoted question, If I add a new item to a group, the entire group resize to fit the longest label, but if I remove the new item, the group does not resize back unless in the group there's an empty group.

That's the expected behaviour I believe. It _needs_ to expand to be able to display the added object - but it doesn't need to contract again afterwards since the content will happily still fit in the obj/group.

[quote]
Thanks for any help - I'm kind of losing my marbles on this 8^)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 13:43

Group:
Quote:

Quote:

remove that line and change the group object to a VirtgroupObject

I don't understand what should I remove.
If I replace this group:

mainGrp    MUI_NewObject(MUIC_Group,....TAG_DONE);

with this:

mainGrp    MUI_NewObject(MUIC_Virtgroup,....TAG_DONE);

is the same as if I have:

mainGrp    MUI_NewObject(MUIC_Group,...., MUIA_Group_VirtualTRUETAG_DONE);

and they do not have the behaviour I expect.

Quote:

That's the expected behaviour I believe. It _needs_ to expand to be able to display the added object - but it doesn't need to contract again afterwards since the content will happily still fit in the obj/group.

[/quote]

Well, I'm not fully persuaded about this. Probably the best solution would be to have fixed sized buttons (the resize effect is not great after all) and variable font size of the text. I'll have to investigate this, I'm not exactly a UI designer

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:22

Group:
Hi Jman,

i might be mistaken, but as i understood it would look something like this:

Click to see original Image in a new window

With ofcourse a vertical slider if there are more items in the list then the virtualgroup is able to display (at once)
(and depending on your settings the horizontal slider does not have to be present at all. just make it wide enough).

Ah this one below is better what i meant

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:50

Group:
@magorium: I think now I understand what the virtual group is: it's like a container that can scroll if the content exceeds its boundaries, correct?
A Virtual group makes sense inside a ScrollGroup, I guess.
But that's not what I need at the moment, I think.

By the way, nice windows you made here, what is the toolkit you used?

Thanks for the (visual) hint!

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:26

Group:
Quote:
@magorium: I think now I understand what the virtual group is: it's like a container that can scroll if the content exceeds its boundaries, correct?

Correct-o-mundo

Although (according to autodocs) it tries to match as much as possible in the visual part. Therefore i believe my second picture (item-5, half-drawn) is not possible with mui.

If i understood the autodocs correct then you 'simply' add your checkmarks and strings (paired toghether) even in 'invisible' space. I think you need the string becuase the autostring for a checkmark is only placable at the left side (which would be unintuitive). But i really don't know for sure.

btw; you are correct about the MUIA_Group_Virtual. even google is only capable of showing 5-hits (to autodocs and repo only) But that info you already know :/

Quote:
A Virtual group makes sense inside a ScrollGroup, I guess.
But that's not what I need at the moment, I think.

Uhm, depends on how you want it to be . But at first you can leave it, you could add it later when needed. Focus on 1 thing first if you are new to this (as i am ).

Quote:
By the way, nice windows you made here, what is the toolkit you used?

Google Well actually in this case it was. the upper-picture i could've made myself with lazarus.

Quote:
Thanks for the (visual) hint!

Well, it does not really help with the coding difficulties itself, but perhaps give you an idea on how it should/could eventually look like. I find those things helpfull myself. So you are more then welcome

But don't let me distract you, if Kalamatee has a (better) solution then please follow him as he is much much much much better at these kind of things

regards,

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:48

Group:
Quote:

But don't let me distract you, if Kalamatee has a (better) solution then please follow him as he is much much much much better at these kind of things

Actually, the kind of window that Paolo needs probably is not a VirtualGroup.

To be honest I was thinking at my side project, a study case for learning C and Zune.
But as I said, from a UI point of view an application that dinamically resizes its buttons according to the currently visible labels is just plain ugly (and I didn't fully grasp how to control that behaviour yet).

See the attached work in progress, see what happens when you click the "PRG" button. I don't like that very much.

Attach file:

exe calc.exe Size: 208.13 KB; Hits: 33

Posted on: 2012/9/10 15:12

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

jman wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the kind of window that Paolo needs probably is not a VirtualGroup.

You are confusing things. The window doesn't need to be - but the "conatiners" for the category/package lists would need to be or they could grow larger than the window can display/force the user to need a massive window to contain it all.

Quote:

To be honest I was thinking at my side project, a study case for learning C and Zune.
But as I said, from a UI point of view an application that dinamically resizes its buttons according to the currently visible labels is just plain ugly (and I didn't fully grasp how to control that behaviour yet).

I think you will find that is how practically every modern GUI toolkit behaves. Using fixed positions/sizes results in a useless GUI since it cant adapt to the users environment.

Quote:

See the attached work in progress, see what happens when you click the "PRG" button. I don't like that very much.

Its meant to resize - what if a user is using a different font/different GUI spacings in the zune/MUI prefs to those you prefer?

Getting MUI/Zune to layout things the way you want isn't just a case of adding the gadgets and it does the rest - you have to spend a while fine tuning your GUI to correctly resize so that it is consistent when the user changes their settings, or resizes the window, or even other components in the GUI cause it to resize.

You have to correctly use spacing objects (HVSpace etc., which are derivatives of the RectangleObject).

P.S - If you try to force it use a fixed size window (imho a bad idea..) it will be inconsistent with the other AROS components, and defeat the purpose of using Zune/MUI in the first place.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 5:30

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]