Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
13 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 12

aha, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: A new calculator? Yes.

Group:
@cavemann: I've fixed all the issues you mentioned, please find an updated version attached. thanks for your feeback.

Quote:

cavemann wrote:
I would not mind larger (or bold) characters on the buttons, if it does not harm the good looks of the calc.

I've compiled a version that allows bold font on some buttons, you can have a look for yourself at the result. Launch the calculator from CLI with "jcalc bold".
Some of the text buttons are bold and some are not, you can compare both in the same window. I tried it on AROS nightly build and Icaros and IMO the result is not great.

Concerning font size, I think this is managed by Zune itself, so in theory one can adjust it from System>Prefs>Zune.
However, I tried adjusting any font size setting there and I couldn't see a corresponding update in my calculator (I've also tried saving the setting and restart AROS): I don't understand if it's a problem of the calculator or of Zune/AROS/whatever.
The Zune object that manage the button is an instance of TextObject (MUIC_Text).

Can anyone give me a hint about this?

Attach file:

zip jcalc.zip Size: 99.70 KB; Hits: 55

Posted on: 2012/12/29 17:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sweden
Group:
The calculator is comming together nicely ! Nice Icon to,
The "bold" option looks a bit clutterish perhaps only 0to9 and AtoF should be bold ?

What I found out is that using square root on Oct or hex and bin is not working neither does changing between negative/positive or inverting (1/x) in those modes it only works in Decimal mode so I guess it is not implemented yet ?

But the calculator is still better than others for aros and it´s great to use as a standard everyday calculator..

Only thing I would miss for my tax report would be a calculation "history",
or like in the good old day calculators, a strip of paper comming out with the entrys and sums.. So if you add a lot of numbers you can go through the list and make sure you did not miss anything..(or write something wrong)
Perhaps in a window on the side or to send to a file ?
Just an idea that would be quite useful I think.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 4:41

Group:
Quote:

droopy wrote:
The calculator is coming together nicely! Nice Icon too,
The "bold" option looks a bit clutterish perhaps only 0to9 and AtoF should be bold?

I don't know. In my opinion having buttons half in bold and half plain is worse. I'm wondering if a) as a user I am supposed to manage this from Zune prefs, because Zune applications should have the same look (we all remember the Amiga workbench world: pure anarchy) or b) if I should use resizable images instead of text.
I will check the interface style guide, either the original Amiga one, or the MUI one... there must be somehwhere some piece of advice about this.
Me just a code monkey, me knows nothing about user interface

Quote:

What I found out is that using square root on Oct or hex and bin is not working neither does changing between negative/positive or inverting (1/x) in those modes it only works in Decimal mode so I guess it is not implemented yet?

Yes, it is not implemented at all. But does it make sense?
I mean, yes, it can be done with little effort, but what's the purpose of performing a square root on an HEX number? I usually use bases different from decimal for programming related tasks: add, sub addresses, calculate offsets and such. Am I wrong?
Maybe a more useful feature could be to have the most common binary operations, like shifts, rotate, AND/OR/... and so on).

Quote:

Only thing I would miss for my tax report would be a calculation "history"

That was an idea I had too for the calculator but I'm still thinking how to implement it. I could add a menu and add an option to enable a sidebar with a 'sheet of paper'. History saving on file would be an added value I didn't think of. This will be en route for the next round of features.
First I'd like to debug some more, there are still some rough spots.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 8:15

From Sweden
Group:
A menu starting up a sidebar would be great. But also to be able to save to a file for later printout on real paper. Another thought is (If it is possible) would be to pass the calculations to a text editor thrugh a Arexx port of choise or something like that ?

Well true don´t think many will use sqrt on hex numbers and it is possible as you say to go around it by decimal.. But Perhaps Pi would be a good option.

I myself work with electricity and use Pi with atleast 4 decimals in my calulations. it´s a bit tideous to enter 3.1416 all the time..so perhaps Pi could be a future add on ?

Posted on: 2012/12/30 22:35

Edited by droopy on 2012/12/30 23:11:40

Group:
Quote:

droopy wrote:
A menu starting up a sidebar would be great. But also to be able to save to a file for later printout on real paper. Another thought is (If it is possible) would be to pass the calculations to a text editor thrugh a Arexx port of choise or something like that?

Wow, really interesting ideas. Also, why not using the AREXX port the other way round? You write a text file and send it to the calculator, either through an AREXX port or as a simple input file. I can write the AREXX APIs and then it will be the text editor's responsability to plug to it.
But these ideas will be developed later, I still have to figure out a couple of other things before.

Quote:

I myself work with electricity and use Pi with atleast 4 decimals in my calulations. it´s a bit tideous to enter 3.1416 all the time..so perhaps Pi could be a future add on ?

Sure, this can be added at no cost.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 10:29

Edited by jman on 2013/1/1 11:59:31

Group:
Here I am again with a final release of the first version.

I'm planning to improve it based on suggestions of Droopy, namely:
- Menus for a couple of additional features
- AREXX port
- Add a custom class to completely manage keyboard input (keys need to be intercepted overriding MUI methods)

These will allow me to learn new interesting things but that will happen at a later stage because now I need to task-switch to other AROS related things (it's a shame I don't have time for everything).

In the meanwhile, if others bugs/suggestions arise, feel free to contact me. I'll stop by this post too every now and then.

The archive will be submitted to "AROS Archives", hoping that someone will find it useful.

Attach file:

zip jcalc.zip Size: 79.77 KB; Hits: 76

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:30

From Sweden
Group:
I like the calc.. seems to work quite fine now. Much better than the ones that comes with the distribution. I will continue to test this weekend. Your plans for the calc sounds great.. would be really interesting with those features I think but also quite useful in many ways..

Posted on: 2013/1/22 20:12

Group:
Thanks for the update. You guys are right, the bold version looks somewhat odd (that's not what I hoped). Will try jcalc out some more over the weekend.

If there are some functions that are not supported (when in a non standard number system), it might be less confusing if the affected buttons were ghosted or greyed out. Then anyone can see that the operation is not supported.

Also most calculators have keyboard equivalents for most functions. For example backspace key for backspace, delete for clear, etc. Many people who regularly enter numberic data are touch typists and prefer to use the keyboard when possible.

Not sure if anyone would like to check these out, but here are a couple of links to calculators that use the scrolling 'tape' type of display that was mentioned.

http://www.brothersoft.com/americalculator-49969.html

http://www.free-downloads-center.com/ ... sum-32bit-v2-0-12649.html

Posted on: 2013/1/22 23:52

Group:
Hello guys,

I'm posting here again for a quick piece of news.

This tiny educational project is going on (when free time allows) and lately I've spent a lot of time learning new things about Zune/MUI.

The application has been reworked from scratch to be compliant to the latest MUI best practices (needed in order to take advantage of some features). Basically in order to add one new feature I had to rewrite everything. Crazy!

So there's a new button that should fullfill a feature request by droopy. Can you find it?

As I cannot attach a file to the post, please find it here (this forum is starting to get on my nerves...):
www.storiepvtride.it/jcalc_0.3b.zip

I hope it doesn't crash too much (and sorry for the verbose console printing, it's still a work in progress).

Posted on: 2013/4/17 15:27

From Sweden
Group:
Ahh this will make my weekend! Nice going. will test and return. All in time for the taxreport as well!

Posted on: 2013/4/17 20:05

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]