Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Non-latin encodings

From Voronezh, Russia
Group:
Hello, All!

I seem to have some font/encoding problem. Being a Russian, I need cyrillics support to feel at home in a system. In Icaros I have done the following:

- in Locale Preferences set the country to Russia, preferred language to Russian, default charset to Amiga-1251
- in Input Preferences turned on layout switching, redefined the hotkey, set alternative language to Russian
- in Font Preferences set the Icons and Screen fonts to XHelvetica_Amiga-1251 and System font to XEN_Amiga-1251

And here goes nothing! Well, not absolutely nothing - I can type in Russian in Editor (but not SimpleEditor or Cinnamon Writer or NoWinED), read Russian-language webpages (but this is available in any locale) and see a few (very, very few) system messages in Russian. That's it, and for everything else (like writing text in OWB, many system messages, buttons, etc., any text editor other than Editor) I get something illegible like âîò òàêàÿ õðåíü. The question is, will this (at least some of it) be fixed in 1.5 or maybe some patch?

Posted on: 2012/11/24 5:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Non-latin encodings

Group:
I can't help you much but I would be gald if there where any ideas how an unicode support (UTF8 UTF16) could be done for a further AROS version.

Supporting Unicode is IMHO one of the big things that no AmigaNG system ever solved.

Posted on: 2012/11/24 8:58

From Voronezh, Russia
Group:
Well, it IS possible to set the default charset to UTF-8, but that doesn't help. System-wide Unicode support could really help things a lot...

By the way, to go and change the locale I had to make 9 steps. Can't they be scripted to take effect when, say, the user picks "Russia" in the country list?

Posted on: 2012/11/24 10:15

From Voronezh, Russia
Group:
Problem appears to be solved for OWB. Would the project's author include in the manual the point that to use OWB with languages other than English you have to download extra fonts via Font Downloader, which is in OWB's drawer?

Posted on: 2012/11/30 6:33

From St.Petersburg
Group:
To have no problems at all with the Russian language, You should go to the Zune (Mui) prefs of the OWB, and set up Russian fonts there.

This can be also done for other programs, especially the default Zune prefs should use russian fonts.

Then You will be able to use russian via the shell, etc...

Posted on: 2012/12/1 11:41

From Voronezh, Russia
Group:
Hooray, amigamaniac's advice helped me teach SimpleEditor and NoWinED Russian, thanks) Didn't work for Cinnamon, however, it seems to be using its own font set and keeps crashing whenever I try to scroll down the list.

Anyway, changing the locale proved to be quite an obscure and non-intuitive process that makes "setting up a printer in OS/2 in 7 steps" look rather pale. Paolone, PLEASE, could this all be at least properly described in the manual? Or, even better, scripted to take effect once the locale is chosen? I mean that I may or may not like the preset Russian fonts, but not having them preset at all, like now, is really frustrating.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 6:52

Group:
@TK-313
Quote:
Didn't work for Cinnamon, however, it seems to be using its own font set and keeps crashing whenever I try to scroll down the list.

This is a shortcoming solely from the application at hand.

Quote:
Anyway, changing the locale proved to be quite an obscure and non-intuitive process that makes "setting up a printer in OS/2 in 7 steps" look rather pale.

And it's the correct way to do it. It even sounds logical to me, just as it was on classic os.

Quote:
Paolone, PLEASE, could this all be at least properly described in the manual?

So why don't you write down the words and send them to paolone ? ;-p

Quote:
Or, even better, scripted to take effect once the locale is chosen? I mean that I may or may not like the preset Russian fonts, but not having them preset at all, like now, is really frustrating.

That an application choose to ignore a person's locale settings is soleley the responsibility for the application at hand.

Some application (ports/games) are even totally unaware of amiga/AROS specific locales. So why should paolone be responsible for taking care of all that ?

Just as a recent example, WorMUX was ported. It supports a lot of languages but it does not detect locale automatically and set language accordingly. This is because original developers don't care about our (Amiga/AROS) locale settings.

The porter could be perhaps persuaded to enhance the port suppporting this kind of thing or he can choose to ignore it (it takes time to implement such features in other peoples work that has no concept of an OS called AROS).

But i totally don't understand the reasoning that a distribution maintainer should eventually be responsible for that.

Instead it would imo more productive to complain about this matter to the cinnamon writer maintainer(s).

With regards to your fonts and the like i agree that it perhaps would be more user-friendly to include those items that are missing. Please be aware that non latin encoding is somewhat difficult for this (mostly) western oriented world. So reporting about those kind of issues is very good.

regards,

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:38

Group:
It would be really nice to have a system-wide opportunity to use international characters, be it Russian or Bengali or whatever. In any way I think it should not be exclusively to one language like switching it in Prefs/Locale but it must be possible to have the system in language A while you enter text in language B to any application. Just there is no real IME for us, right?

Posted on: 2012/12/4 10:25

From Voronezh, Russia
Group:
I'm sorry to bump this thread after such a long time, but is UTF support in the systen at least considered? I don't want to sound mean, but it would be very nice to be able to change locale without having to switch all fonts in the system.

Speaking of fonts, could someone help identify the setting for the font on the small captions and tabs (see screenshot)? Because I fail to find it so far.

Attach file:

jpg  scr1.jpg (353.93 KB)
3685_5af8e4acd970b.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 5/13 18:27

No Account
Guest_No Account
Adding UTF support has been discussed but nothing firm has come of it yet. Perhaps once the ABi work settles down it could be looked into.

As for the font - it is configured in zune’s Preferences.

Posted on: 5/13 23:40

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.