Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
21 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 20

phoenixkonsole, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

sound in janus uae

From Ohio,USA
Group:
Guys, I need some help. I just installed Icaros 1.5 and everything in Aros works perfectly. I have a few Amiga apps I want to run, and they seem to work without a hitch as well, and I believe the emulation is faster than previous versions. However, sound on the Amiga side is very choppy, even if I just play a sound file from the command line with nothing else running. Does anyone have any suggestions about optimizing sound for j-uae. This is probably something stupid on my part.

BTW, my processor is a 2.8G dual core AMD Athlon, and everything Aros zips around beautifully.

Thanks for any help.

RLFrost

Posted on: 2013/1/15 7:05

Re: sound in janus uae

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Hi,

in my tests, the only way to improve audio performance was to remove "Idle on STOP instruction" from the CPU tab (ensure also that "Maximum" is set for the speed).

Don't try other CPUs than 68020 as they won't give you any real benefits in an emulated 68xxx CPU (AFAIK).

Then you might try reducing sound quality, channels and resolution in the "Sound" tab, of course you might get more 'fluid' playing at the cost of a worse quality.

Last... check also in the .config file for JUAE - look for the setting "sound_frequency" as by default is set to 11025 Hz. You might change it for example to CD quality 44100 - this might give a brighter sound quality (it is mentioned also in the Icaros manual IIRC)

Cheers

-- LuKe

Posted on: 2013/1/15 9:23

From Ohio,USA
Group:
LuKe,

Thanks so much for your help. Removing the 'idle on stop' took care of the choppiness. I had already changed the frequency.

I have one other question: Can I run an amigados command from the aros shell, or can I open an AmigaDos shell in aros?

Thanks,

RLFrost

Posted on: 2013/1/15 9:52

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Quote:

rlfrost wrote:
LuKe,

Thanks so much for your help. Removing the 'idle on stop' took care of the choppiness. I had already changed the frequency.

Great! Glad I could help you with the 'idle' setting.

Quote:

I have one other question: Can I run an amigados command from the aros shell, or can I open an AmigaDos shell in aros?

Thanks,

RLFrost

No, you can't run 68K apps from AROS-i386 shell (as you might have instead an AROS-68K shell), but... I remember that Icaros in his AmiBridge configurations have an option to open a 68K (AmigaOS or AROS) shell when starting. Check the manuals.

In alternative, if you're running AmigaOS under J-UAE, you can just open the AmigaOS/SYSTEM drawer and launch open the Shell from it's icon.

Basically, when Janua-UAE is running with all his 'extra-tools' (janus-d, coherency, mouse-sync, etc..) whenever you open/double-click from Wanderer a 68K-App, it will be opened inside Janus-UAE.

Hope it was clear enough... Otherwise I'm sure that with a little experimenting you will find out as well :)

Cheers

--LuKe

Posted on: 2013/1/15 16:00

Group:
Quote:

rlfrost wrote:

Thanks,

RLFrost

You can't directly run m68k commands from an x86 shell. This can't work, as paths might have to be converted and there is no way to tell, if an argument is a path or not. (Besides from a lot of other problems, which are theoretically solvable.)

Unluckily it is also not possible, to open an m68k shell with a click on a m68k shell icon, if I remember correctly.

There is a tool called "amirun" in the janus-uae archive, which allows you to launch m68k commands from an AROS shell.

So you could do somethings like
1> amirun path_to_68k_newcli/newcli

But this is not really tested ;).

But maybe Icaros has some simpler solution for your problem, there I can't help you much.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 0:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]