Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
24 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 23

paolone, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Quick (and possibly dumb) question on photo-printers

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi all,
As mentioned elsewhere, I'm hoping to write a printer manager application to streamline at least some aspects of using AROS with printers. So, now for the dumb question...

Although I don't have one, I know there are printers which can print JPEG pictures directly from a memory card. So my question is, if you copy a JPEG picture to the printer from AROS (i.e. 'copytopar some_piccy.jpg usb', assuming a USB connection), is the picture handled and printed? If so, what is the output like - fixed resolution, scaleable via the printers settings, etc?

I guess you can see where I'm going with this - if this class of printer could cope with JPEGs directly from the computer, this would be a whole set of modern printers that would be very easy to use from AROS. Relatively slow and a real hack, yes, but at least useable. So, if anyone has this type of printer, please let me know if this could actually work.

Many thanks,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 14:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Quick (and possibly dumb) question on photo-printers

Group:
Hi ntromans,

Quote:
Although I don't have one, I know there are printers which can print JPEG pictures directly from a memory card.

I have acces to one of those

Please make sure you understand i only speak of my own personal experiences.

Quote:
So my question is, if you copy a JPEG picture to the printer from AROS (i.e. 'copytopar some_piccy.jpg usb', assuming a USB connection),

I cannot copy directly to the usb-device on the printer, it simply does not get recognized by AROS. At least the USB-storage device doesn't. e.g. the printer does not seem to act like a hub.

So i put my pictures/pdf on a pendrive (which is connected directly to aros) disconnect the usb-pen, walk over to the printer, stick in the pendrive and select from the pendrive what i want to print.

Quote:
is the picture handled and printed? If so, what is the output like - fixed resolution, scaleable via the printers settings, etc?

I can apply all printer settings manual on the printer itself and for each selected file individual if i want.

I realize this is not exactly what you meant, but i'm pretty sure you are unable to do that from within aros (or any opther OS for that matter).

The only way this theoretically could be possible is actually 'speaking' to the printer directly. But i haven't come across something like that, not even in the originally delivered software-bloat-crap.

When printing directly (other os like windows) it 'simply' uses the printer driver.

So i presume that the printer i have acces to completly seperates the usb-connection from the other 'recognizable' parts that can be recognized by the OS.

It could be this is different for other printers that have this direct printing option.

regards,

Posted on: 2013/1/15 16:01

Group:
Quote:

magorium wrote:

I cannot copy directly to the usb-device on the printer, it simply does not get recognized by AROS. At least the USB-storage device doesn't. e.g. the printer does not seem to act like a hub.

It won't act as a mass storage device. USB printers will use the usbparallel.device and copy the data raw if you use copytopar usb.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 4:31

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Magorium,
Many thanks for the feeback on this. It was always going to be a bot of a long-shot. Following on from terminill's comment, could you just confirm that 'copytopar some_piccy.jpg usb' does not work? If not, then yes, your solution of manually moving the files across at least means something can be output! Many thanks.

@all
There is another option though, as detailed over at Amigaworld here. The Pi as a printer server - brilliant idea, wish I'd though of it! Definitely worth looking into...

Nigel.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 14:36

Group:
Quote:
ntromans wrote:
could you just confirm that 'copytopar some_piccy.jpg usb' does not work?

Sure, it just takes me some time to be able to (printer is normally connected in intranet network). Can i just use icaros 1.4.5 (with patches) for that or does it require the newer 1.5 ?

P.S. i just realized something else. This printer can be connected by several means, if i'm not mistaken then by tp, wireless, bluetooth, parallelport and usb (direct printing from storagemedia uses other usb-port). I presume you meant when connected via usb2parallel, or should it be usb-usb ?

Posted on: 2013/1/17 10:09

Edited by magorium on 2013/1/17 10:36:17

Group:
In the past i had to choose usbparallel.device for my printer manually in poseidon settings. Than it worked. But i had to do this everytime.

The Pi idea is nice.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 10:19
www.ares-shop.de the ground for our app-store

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi magorium,
Thanks again for looking at this. I'd presume usb to usb (that's fine for my deskjet 5552) with copytopar ... usb. I have a usb to parallel adpater to work with my laserjet, but ran into a problem - AROS was writing too much data to it in one go and most of the file was lost. I wrote a Hollywood program to feed the file through 4K at a time and that works. Never tried usbparallel.device though, as phoenixkonsole suggests - I'll have to give that a go.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 13:08

Group:
Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
In the past i had to choose usbparallel.device for my printer manually in poseidon settings. Than it worked. But i had to do this everytime.

The Pi idea is nice.

Really? Don't you have the same printer that I do? I've never had to set anything up manually.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 5:06

Group:
Hi Nigel,

Quote:
Thanks again for looking at this.

No problem at all.

By the sounds of it, i will benefit from it as well

Quote:
I'd presume usb to usb (that's fine for my deskjet 5552) with copytopar ... usb.

And i've done so, see attached picture (serial# removed).

Quote:
Never tried usbparallel.device though

Well although it is called printer.class in the info-window in the log you can see it is called usbparallel.device.

I've not changed anything by hand. I just attached the usb-cable and it automatically got 'connected' in the way you see in the picture.

Also the attached picture shows there is another interface to the printer that is vendor specific. Might be interresting to find out more about it

This is really cool. Indeed i can use copytopar and it gets printed automatically. At least the .jpg did. Trying the pdf (aros-exec frontpage made with OWB) was a bad idea as it spurted out empty pages with a couple of wierd characters on it.

So i still have to figure out what specific file-types it supports.

Perhaps it is only the ones that are possible to print from the memory-storage. In that case this printer seems bound to .tiff, .bmp, .jpg and .prn.

I wanted to try the .prn, but because the printer is in the network i was not allowed to print to a file.

So it seems that your idea might be a solution to print this way .

The only thing i was confused about is that the picture was printed sideways on the paper, but maybe it was in the (default) printsettings. This printer has so many options and settings that i got lost a little :/

Hopefully this answer was satisfactory enough to get you going. If not then don't hesitate to ask.

I have no problems trying out stuff or the like (i'm only bound to using the printer in non busy times and when i myself am able to).

regards,

Attach file:

jpg  usb-printer-copypar.jpg (568.03 KB)
2666_50fdc42602ce9.jpg 1280X1024 px

Posted on: 2013/1/21 14:45

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Magorium,
That's really good news! It will be quite straightforward to convert documents such as PDFs into jpeg or bmp images to send out to the printer. The trick will be matching the image produced to the printer settings (resolution, paper size loaded etc.) When you say the picture was printed sideways, I presume the picture aspect is landscape but the paper is loaded with portrait orientation? That can of course be fixed by rotating the picture by 90 degrees before printing. So, psotscript, printers supported by Ghostscript and photo-printers can be supported directly, with the Pi option for other types via network printing. I need to get ny networking experiemnts finished and get on with some coding!

Many thanks,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 15:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.