Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Python Bounty

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
I am aware of the existence of the PyAROS bounty here, but seems the actual terms and python versions requested are obsolete and the quota is just $75. I know one guy that has professional python knowledge and was interested to write a more comprehensive bounty requirement (including the port of some essential libraries and the creation of a zune binding),however was concerned that the overall interest might be too low for see this bounty completed;

Wish to taste the ground and know: is there interest for an updated port of Python, libraries and a binding as mentioned above?

Posted on: 2013/4/20 9:28
Binary Doodles - english blog
Twitter
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Python Bounty

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Enlighten me: what are the benefits of Python?

Posted on: 2013/4/20 10:21

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
@yasu

I personally like LUA/zulu and consider it very good and versatile despite the actual port shortcomings; however i can recognize the potential of having more than a language available and especially an updated python;

however to start i am aware that pytohn usage is pretty widespread in the FOSS environment, and in some way also in AROS development: there are some tools and libraries that require python to be compiled like AROS kernel and Stanislaw's OWB;

Some software like Blender and GDB uses python for macro language and scripting; some other are written in pytohnm like the openshot video editor;

Furthermore thare are a good number of libraries like PyGame,SciPy and others that will make available tools to develop applications and games together with a binding for zune;

with the soon-to-be-finished Raspberry Pi port there will be a good number of new users that will try to use AROS for their projects lured by its lightweight and modularity and i expect many of those to already have some python knowledge.

Am available of my knowledge shortcomings so please correct me about the usage and advantages or disadvantages.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 11:00
Twitter

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
I wasn't attacking you nor Python. I just wanted to know :)

Posted on: 2013/4/20 12:11

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
@yasu:
was not for you, is that i want to be sure am posting right information.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 12:18
Twitter

Group:
Python ?

Well there are some cool games written I Python, I never used it bit some people calling Python the modern alternative for BASIC.

http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/insp ... ing-games-python-0132789/

http://www.pygame.org/

(I think it will need a lot of libraries until it is working)

Posted on: 2013/4/23 9:56

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
Generally it is not a waste to have another option (but it of course depends how difficult it is to make the port). So we would need someone who says I will do it (description what exactly) and for how much and in which timeframe.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 10:06

Group:
@Saimon69
That bounty seems a bit old indeed as is the project that is related to it.

Luckily we already have 2.5.2 from Stanislaw here and here.

But i have no idea if that fullfills the bounty requirements.

I know there are some projects that could use or require an updated python. I have no idea if there is much interrest though.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:43

From Sweden
Group:
Phyton is a verry nice scripting language. But it also have a lot of "extensions" that would need to be ported as well if we want to get all the bells and whistles. An up to day port of the main program would be a good platform to build on.

Even better perhaps an up to date Perl port.

I think both LUA, Perl and Phyton would be verry nice to have good uptodate ports of since they interact with the web in good ways and the web is the main usage of computers today.

I am by no means a programmer but I do some hobby fiddeling with easy things from time to time and Perl and Phyton are quite easy to understand even for a non programmer since it is quite clear code and not so hard to follow or get lost in..(easy for beginners to get lost in large sourcekodes in C and other similar languages).

I would contribute to a Perl update to todays standard for AROS..

Posted on: 2013/4/23 20:45

From Germany
Group:
Quote:
magorium wrote:
@Saimon69
That bounty seems a bit old indeed as is the project that is related to it.

Luckily we already have 2.5.2 from Stanislaw here and here.

But i have no idea if that fullfills the bounty requirements.

I took a look at the Stanislaw port, and it seems a good starting point from which to start (PyAROS is too old, and I think that we should not consider it).
Its .diff is also little and incredibly simple.

However we have to deal with a lot of things that are missed:

disabled_module_list = ['crypt', 'grp', 'select', 'binascii', 'parser', 'cStringIO', 'cPickle', 'mmap', 'audioop', '_csv', 'getnameinfo', '_ctypes', '_ctypes_test', 'datetime', 'time', '_bisect', '_heapq', '_functools', '_hotshot', '_lsprof', 'fcntl', '_sha', '_md5', '_sha256', '_sha512', 'termios', 'resource', 'nis', 'zlib', 'bz2', 'compress', 'pyexpat', '_socket', '_elementtree', '_multibytecodec', '_codecs', 'syslog', '_codecs_kr', '_codecs_jp', '_codecs_cn', '_codecs_tw', '_codecs_hk', '_codecs_iso2022', 'audioop', 'imageop', 'rgbimg']

I don't know how much time can take to have all modules to be up and run. They are mostly c modules, and some depend on external libraries that can be based on big projects themselves.

Once the Python 2.5.2 port is done, I think that there is a little effort to update it and port even the new ones, such as Python 2.7.4 and 3.3.1, which will be a BIG step forward.
Quote:
I know there are some projects that could use or require an updated python. I have no idea if there is much interrest though.

I can assure you that the interest around Python is GREAT. It's not only a simple language to learn, but also a rich and advanced platform, with a wide application range (from web development to scientific computing, games, databases, natural language recognition, system administration, etc.).

However it requires an initial effort, since it's much complex compared to other very simple languages, such as LUA.

But the effort is given back by the amazing tool that you have in you hands. For sure.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 0:09

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.