Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Recursion Computer Fair

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
A quick report on the Recursion computer fair. This was held today at the King Edward Vi School in Stratford, and I should say a big thank-you to the organiser, Richard Barfoot, for putting on an enjoyable show and ensuring Amigaoid systems had a place within it - represented by classic Amigas, AmigaOS4 (an X1000) and MorphOS as well as my AROS machines. Away from our corner were a range of 8-bit machines from the Retro Computer Museum, some of which were very rare, a number of RiscOS machines, programming workshops using the Pi, and a robot games area (line follower and object avoider buggies). The guest speaker was Simon Goodwin, a very well known name from the Amiga's past, and I had the pleasure later in the day of having a conversation with him about the Amiga's past and the current capabilities of AROS. It seems he's been out of the Amiga scene for a few years, but still maintains an interest and enthusiasm for it.

I also took along my Vic20 and modified Amiga 500, which has an A570 CDrom sidecar and stuffed inside a fatter Agnes and A5000 '020 acelerator + 4MB fast ram, along with extra ram in the trapdoor and WB 2 roms; as there is so much inside I had to move the keyboard out of the wedge, easily done with the A500 as the contoller circuitry is mounted on the keyboard itself. When I originally did this, way back in 1991, I put a metal blanking plate over the front, but on pulling it out of the loft for the show I hit upon the idea of replacing this with a perspex sheet to allow the visitors to look inside. It worked too - this and the Vic acted as a good icebreaker with the more mature visitors who remembered that golden age of computing, and led nicely into a discussion of AROS. About half the old Amigans I talked to had tried AROS, and half were unwaware of it, or only vaguely knew of it. CDs were duly burnt for those interested to try at home. For the younger generation, Cube 2 proved to be a strong draw; considering this is supposed to be the Playstation/Xbox generation, they seemed pretty impressed by its presentation (I did have all the graphics set to max and still reached 35 fps plus). One annoying thing (for me) about the Cube programs has been their insitance on using a mouse/keyboard combo for the movement, but after some fiddling with the wonderfully flexible trident, I'd got my double-stick USB gamepad emulating these input events, and the gamers seemed to take to it well.

So, all in all an enjoyable event and quite a busy one with a very good public attendance. It was really nice to meet in the flesh fellow enthusiasts (those who remember computing before it become, predominantly, boring Windows), especially fellow Amigans, and anything that helps to raise the profile of Amigaoid systems in all their forms has to be a good thing.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2014/2/15 13:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Recursion Computer Fair

Group:
Very nice. Sounds like a fun event. Thanks for the report

Posted on: 2014/2/15 18:20

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Cavemann,
It was - my youngest certainly enjoyed the robot games bit. Now that SER: and PAR: are appearing in ABI0 (Icaros WIPs), this is something I'd like to start playing with, with her. Probably helps that she loves lego too, so the bulding side will really appeal to her. I just got her a small technics kit, and she's enjoying making various mechamisms with that.

Back to the show, one thing I noticed was that those people who were interested in AROS were keener on native rather than hoted or virtualised.

Thanks,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 3:31

Group:
Many thanks for coming down, Nigel. Sorry I couldn't spend more time with the Amiga crowd - it was a bit frantic at times!

Richard

Posted on: 2014/2/17 1:50

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
thanx for presenting Aros there

Posted on: 2014/2/17 2:28

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Richard,
Yes, it was rather busy! Very good turnout with lots going on - it must have taken a lot of organsing. Your students were brilliant too, circulating around and making sure things ran smoothly; a very creditable event for the school. Also nice that they are having exposure to other OSs than Windows - whilst I briefly had some involvement with teaching computing at a previous college I had trouble persuading the other members of staff there was life beyond Windows, let alone the students. Still, I at least introduced them to the wonders of rexx...

Thanks again for the opportunity, and all being well if there is a repeat next year we'll be along to support again.

All the best,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 3:24

Sysop
From Norway
Group:
Administrators
Pictures or it did not happen .

Posted on: 2014/2/17 4:53

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi 4pLay,
Unfortunately I was so busy talking to the people coming though, trying to persuade my A500 to keep working (it really didn't like being moved) and ocassionally panicing as to where my 6-year-old had got off to that I didn't get a chance to take any. However, some may be posted over at Amigaworld.net and on the fair's web-site.

Sorry,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 9:37

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Photos from the show (with a more wide-ranging report than mine) can be found here, courtesy of Niels Bache, with whom I had the pleasure of chatting with during the show.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 4:57

Group:
Thanks you very much ntromans.

A nice report, and some nice pictures to go with that as well

The pics really give a nice impression of the fair.

BTW: is that sonmeone in your family who did the kitty artwork ?, it's a nice detail

Thanks for attending and showing AROS. Hope you had fun.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 6:05

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.