Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

beezle, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

nVidia gfx refreshing problems - questions

From Marseille
Group:
Hi all,

I've just changed my GFX card.

I used to use the internal GMA945 (of my Dell Optiplex GX620), and everything was ok with the gfx.

I have now a nVidia GeForce 2, that I'm very happy to have found in an old stock at my work.

I have a strange problem, that maybe is known to IcAros users (I'm on 1.5.2.2).

I use native graphics, in 1920*1080 16M colors.

From time to time, without any understandable reason, i've refreshing issues : texts disappear (from intuition requesters for example, or OWB @ field), icons disappear from wanderer screen, or from amistart (the clock use to disapear too).

I didn't find a way to restart the (I will call it as in linux, sorry for that) X server.

Is there a way to restart only the gfx server inside AROS ?

Do you have a clue for getting through this problem ? A tootype on nVidia Monitor ? I used to use GMA_MEM tooltype, is there one on nVidia ?

BTW, there is a difference between GMA_Intel Tooltype Start_Priority, which is set to 0 on GMA and -1 on nVidia and ATI. Why ?

Do you think that I should USE VESA graphics to avoid this problem ?

Thanx all for the answers
Enjoy yourselves,
Jess

Posted on: 2014/4/12 11:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: nVidia gfx refreshing problems - questions

Group:
I would use VESA with that ancient card. Or this thread might convince you to find something better.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... t_id=36876#forumpost36876

Posted on: 2014/4/12 12:01

From Marseille
Group:
hi caveman,

thanx for the answer. I have read the thread, it is very interesting, and it makes me think of changing the graphic card. I have a bunch of other ones to test with AROS, but this one was the best one in my sense :)

I switched to vesa just to try. The system seems much more stable with vesa, but I have now an other problem...

I have a wide screen (22' up to 1920*1080) and the vesa modes that are recognised are not very good looking (stretched). I tried to change the modes to an other better for my screen (using the boot prefs), but it always fall back to another one.

I'm not an expert concerning graphic realted stuffs. Is this the card that gives to the system the list of possible VESA resolutions ? I mean, will I get other resolutions possible if I change of graphic card or are the VESA modes always the same (for compatibility reasons) ?

2nd question : is VESA always much more stable than nouveau.hidd drivers ?

Thank you very much for help,
Jess.

Posted on: 2014/4/12 12:46

Group:
Jess,

Wow I just mentioned this in another thread. To find out what VESA resolutions your card supports, type vbeinfo from the grub command line. Vbeinfo will display a list of VESA screen resolutions that can be used with that card.

If you ask for a resolution that is not in the VESA list, it will fall back to a supported resolution instead.

I'm no expert either, so I hope it helps.

22" monitor... a nice monitor deserves a nice graphic card

edit:

Btw, VESA seems more stable to me also. But it can be too slow for some graphics related stuff, especially OpenGL programs.

Posted on: 2014/4/12 13:55

Edited by cavemann on 2014/4/12 14:21:22

Group:
Quote:

cavemann wrote:
Wow I just mentioned this in another thread.

Ah... i initially though the needle of my recordplayer was borked again ;-D

Quote:

I'm no expert either, so I hope it helps.

Your suggestion is accurate. Repeat long enough to become expert automagically

Quote:

oan3 wrote:
Is this the card that gives to the system the list of possible VESA resolutions ? I mean, will I get other resolutions possible if I change of graphic card or are the VESA modes always the same (for compatibility reasons) ?

afaik it depends on the gfx-card as it provides its information to the system. Whether or not your system is able to do something with that....

see also here
Quote:

VBE is made available through the video card's BIOS, which installs during boot up some interrupt vectors that point to itself.

Quote:

oan3 wrote:
2nd question : is VESA always much more stable than nouveau.hidd drivers ?

If you compare the plain VESA 'video-modes' to 2D/3D accelerate internal functions of a graphics-card (shaders etc), what do yourself think what would fail sooner ?
(it's a bit like comparing a normal hammer with a jackhammer)

Posted on: 2014/4/12 16:34

From Marseille
Group:
thank you very muxh for the answers. and sorry if i make you repeat stuffs.

Quote:
If you compare the plain VESA 'video-modes' to 2D/3D accelerate internal functions of a graphics-card (shaders etc), what do yourself think what would fail sooner ?
(it's a bit like comparing a normal hammer with a jackhammer)

ofcourse I'm aware that 2d/3d acceleration of a graphical card are much more complicated, so logicaly less stable.
but here, with a normal IcAROS installation, icons/texts disapear after maybe 5 minutes of a normal use (no 3D programs launched) while simply using OWB like now.

This issue didn't appear with my GMA945 onboard gfx. Maybe my Geforce2 card has a hardware problem ?

What would you advice me : get back to intel's onboard (simple task) or try to find a better GeForce ?

Posted on: 2014/4/12 22:53

From Poland
Group:
Dev
I'd advice upgrade to 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx or 9xxx series card where possible.

Posted on: 2014/4/13 1:20

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

From Marseille
Group:
ok, thanx I'll do it as soon as possible.

sorry for something : my card is not a GeForce 2 but a Quadro 280. My mistake comes from that I certainly didn't read well the P/N and it got me to a wrong google search/result.

So, please notice that I've tested the nVidia N11071 P231 (Quadro 280) gfx card that is listed in the compatibility list of the AROS wiki, but not yet tested : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

Maybe it should be interesting to add it this in the list.

Please notice also that i've made an article on this subject on my blog, hope it can be of help : http://oanemous.free.fr/?p=1023

Posted on: 2014/4/13 2:05

Group:
Quote:

@oan3 wrote:
thank you very muxh for the answers. and sorry if i make you repeat stuffs.

No problem oan3. And please don't worry too much about that.

It just happened to occur pretty prompt after eachother.

If you look more closely (on the board) you would notice that alsmost every topic has been discussed sometime before (whether or not the answers still apply is the hardest part ).

Quote:

This issue didn't appear with my GMA945 onboard gfx. Maybe my Geforce2 card has a hardware problem ?

I have to guess a little here as i am not knowledgeable on the internals of each and every graphics driver for AROS. But generally speaking, when you opt for the option to 'autodetect' your graphics card, then the driver will automatically use the functions that are available on your card (beit 2d and/or 3d). The same is true for f.e. windows platform, and also there sometimes a driver is flacky (and a new driver is released, so that you need to upgrade).

In aros there is little support for such 'old' cards, and as a result somethings do not always work as expected. Please keep in mind that most aros drivers are based on open-source initiatives (and as such where ported to aros). The original drivers might also have dropped support for some gfx-cards/chipsets or have flacky support for a particular gfx-card/chipset to begin with.

In case you was not aware, also icaros has made a 'jump' forward and since icaros 1.5.2 there are two icaros versions available. The 'updated' version which is the regular one and a special LKE version (Legacy Kernel Edition). It seems that some gfx-cards where better supported in the 'old' kernel (which is now called LKE icaros edition). Alas the down-part is that LKE edition is not compatible anymore with recent work and will not (=can't) be updated anymore.

Quote:

Some intel gfx-chipsets are simply better supported by AROS drivers (which also depend on a port of open-source initiative).

I doubt your card is the problem (other then not having good support by AROS' drivers), although it can ofcourse be a possibility. In order to test, you would need to boot another OS on that machine that has good drivers for that gfx-card.

But i personally would opt for deadwood's suggestion (if possible).

Posted on: 2014/4/13 16:48

Group:
@oan3

>>> thank you very muxh for the answers. and sorry if i make you repeat stuffs.

It is no problem to repeat a point, most people cherry pick and read only some threads, so it's easy to miss something similar.

>>> This issue didn't appear with my GMA945 onboard gfx. Maybe my Geforce2 card has a hardware problem ?

The GMA945 uses a different driver than the Geforce cards. It's more likely the problem has to do with the driver.

>>> What would you advice me : get back to intel's onboard (simple task) or try to find a better GeForce ?

It depends. Some people don't care about 3d graphics, so if you find that your onboard graphics meets your needs then please continue using it. But if you want a faster and smoother 3d graphics experience, then change. One of our lucky members, beezle, raves about his gf9600gt.

>>> sorry for something : my card is not a GeForce 2 but a Quadro 280.

The Quadro 280 is not nearly as old as the GeForce2, it's possible that a future version of the nouveau driver may cover that card (but don't hold your breath)

>>> Please notice also that i've made an article on this subject on my blog,

Cool

Posted on: 2014/4/14 0:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.