Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

beezle, Yanosh, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Showing AROS at Recursion computer fair in July

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi all,
Just to say that I'll be showing off AROS again at this year's Recursion computer fair in Stratford-Upon-Avon come July

I'll be taking along again my netbook and desktop (both Icaros), and I'll see if I can get hosted working on an Android tablet too. I'll also be looking to get Vision running on my A1200, which is finally being put back together after well over a year in bits. I'll be burning copies of the Icaros light for anyone that would like one (or maybe even if they don't; you WILL try AROS... ) Maybe Broadway too? (I'm a bit out of date as to the current status of Broadway...)

Anyway, as before I thought I'd ask of there way anything in partciular the good folks here think I should be showcasing at the event?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 11:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Showing AROS at Recursion computer fair in July

Group:
: ) Here is the latest Broadway Preview 2 as USB-image... just write it on a 8gb+ USB-stick or SD-card.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9349609/broadwayusb.img.7z

If you like i can send you a bit money to burn and give away some usb-sticks for free.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 11:57
www.ares-shop.de

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Many thanks - I'll take a look when I can, but it seems your area is currently too popular for dropbox to cope

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. news for the Recursion Computer Fair is currently be posted over on Amigaworld.net

Posted on: 2015/5/6 10:33

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
@ntromans

If you need to print brochures i can provide you with some old ones in pdf or scribus format (plus images) that i did for SCALE and other events I participated

Posted on: 2015/5/6 11:16
Binary Doodles - english blog
Twitter

Group:
In a few days i can use our own cloud service : )

Posted on: 2015/5/6 11:49
www.ares-shop.de

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi saimon69,
That could be very useful - thanks! I don't have Scribus, but maybe the images plus plain text (or RTF) that I could put into PageStream so any updates could be added. Would you like me to pm to you my e-mail?

Hi phoneixkonsole,
Thanks; I shall await the cloud...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 12:16

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Just to say the Recursion computer fair is in this Saturday from 11 to 4 at King Edward Vi School, Stratford-upon-Avon (full details at Amigaworld.net. If anyonbe happens to be in the area, please drop by to say hello!

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 9:56

From Ireland
Group:
Good luck with the show Nigel!

Posted on: 2015/7/3 13:45

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Just got back from the show. It was pretty busy from doors open at 11 through to about 3 when things quietened down. There was a really wide range of machines to see, with a particularly stong showing from the 8-bits courtesy of The Retro Computer Museum plus a number of BBC machines and also RiscOS on a number of desktops and Pis; in fact in, one form or another, Pi easily the most abundant format there. There were aslo workshops on coding (Scratch) and 'bot making.

On the Amiga side, there were three OS4 machines present (one XE and two X1000s) and I think five or six MorphOS machines including a selection of MacBooks. There were a couple of A1200s infiltrating the 8-bits and ANT brought along a CDTV (first time I've seen one of those for real). In amongst this was my A500 for the heritage and my four machines running AROS - desktop, laptop, netbook and tablet (the latter hosted on Android).

I have to say there was a reasonable amount of inertest. This broke down into two clear age-groups. Cube 2 pulled in the youngsters and was pretty popular all the way through; I'm rubbish at those sort of games but the chidren were running around and blasting the 'bots at an amazing rate. The other group were past Amiga users, or others of that era who rememberd the machine from their friends. To that group I gave away quite a few CD's; hopefully there will be a few new people around here in the next couple of weeks. It's still suprising how many people in this group are not aware of AROS, of think it's some form of emulator. Anyway, once explained there was some good interest in the ins-and-outs of AROS, and some were particularly impressed by the community nature of AROS and how devs can come to the aid of users to help, where possible, to get machines working (thanks again, Neil!) Along with this the general speed and responsiveness of the system drew positive comments.

A couple of contacts were made. The Birmingham Makerspace goup ('fizzPOP') are interested in doing more around alternative/vinatage computing, and there was the offer of going to them and giving a talk on AROS, which I hope to take up. Also, I had the pleasure of talking to Stuart Williams, ex-journalist for Amiga User International and Amiga Computing; he currently produces a web magzine (retrocomputingnews.com) and he seemed interested in having some AROS input in there, so I'll see if he would like me to write an article or two.

All in all, a very interesting day.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 12:33

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for doing this and promoting AROS. Seems you drew a decent level of interest. Hoping to see some new faces on A-E. :)

Posted on: 2015/7/4 12:45

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.