Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Showing AROS at Recursion computer fair in July

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
One thing I forgot to mention - there was a lot of interest in the possibility of a native AROS for Pi.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
A rather more complete report on the show (with pictures!) is here.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 12:34

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
In a bit over a month we'll be showing AROS again at the (Recursion Computer Science Fair) in Stratford. Once again we'll have our desktop, laptop and netbook all running AROS.

The desktop will be running one of the Cube varants to show off the 3D capabilities, and controlling the first version of of 'AROS-bot', our home-made AROS controlled robot. I've finally found time to play around with a ethernet to ttl serial module, and found that it is easily usable via Hollywood's networking functions. My plan had been to link this with a PicAxe microtroller for the electrical interfacing, but realising I don't have time to get that set up I'm trying to cheat by using pre-made ethernet to GPIO module. It looks really useful - 16 digital I/O lines, ten of which can also work as AtoD inputs. It's currently on order from Amazon to arrive mid-June, so the plan is in the mean-time to get a simple robot chassis set up using a defunct remote controlled car to bolt this onto when it arrives.

I'm finally going to have the laptop fitted with a touchsceen (I missed my old touchscreen PicoITX); I've got a nice big 15" touchscreen to add onto the Compaq curtesy of ebay and a quick try-out with it laid on the laptop's screen showed it was working really well. I'm thinking of having an interactive display on that giving information about AROS and maybe the history of the Amiga.

My youngest is quite keen to again show off using AROS with a graphics tablet, probably tunning on the netbook. That one will have to be shared with Janus runing some classic games.

Finally, I'm going to have another go at running AROS 68k on my old A1200. Last time I tried it seemed AROS didn't like the CyberStorm PPC and wouldn't boot, but that was in the run-up to last year's show and things have moved on since then so it's worth another try.

As usual, I'll be offering to burn CDs for anyone wishing to try the system for themselves.

Anyway, if there's anything anyone thinks I should be showing*, please let me know.

Cheers,
Nigel.

*Unfortunately not OWB, as the Wifi in the hall is so overloaded there's no chance of getting onto it.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 10:45

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Good luck with the presentation. I would love to see the video of the AROS-bot in action :)

Posted on: 2016/5/27 10:53

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
We'll take the camera along! The version for this show will be very simple - just controlling to the drive and steering motors, which will be activated via the keyboard or joystick. After that I'm hoping to add some sensors and make it a bit more autonomous. More generally, it gives a way for AROS (or indeed any of the Amigaoid systems as the control will be via Hollywood) to be used for remote sensing and control.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 11:53

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
The ethernet to GPIO module arrived today, a lot earlier than expected. It's this model.

Communication works fine through Hollywood's networking functions. I just has to set the password to be blank as it didn't accept a plain text password passed to it; the board uses the Telnet protocol so I guess in this passwords are sent in an enrypted manner. Also, commands need a linefeed character added to their end.

The chassis of the old RC car is already stripped down and the motors have been confirmed to be working, so the next stage is to get some transistors to control them, switched by the GPIO module.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 12:18

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Looking forward to seeing it in action :)

Posted on: 2016/5/28 13:04

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

Group:
What machines are you running AROS on?

Posted on: 2016/5/28 20:46

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi trans,
Three machines:

HP desktop with a core duo processor; not terribly well supported 'out of the box' but after adding compatable network, audio and graphics cards via pci it runs AROS fast and wnell, e.g. with the GForce 8400 card I can turn every setting on Assault Cube up to max and still be on 30+ frames per second.

Samsung N145+ netbook; my day-to day work machine. Quite good for native support (Intel GMA graphics, HD audio), just needs a wireless USB for network.

Compaq nc6320 laptop; as this has been retired from Windows work for my daughter (she insisted on a newer machine with at least Win7), this now has a proper OS on its hard drive . Runs Intel GMA graphics and even has some 3D support (although noticeably slower then the GForce). HD audio now works after Neil very kindly produced a special version very this model (thanks again!) Again, network is through wirelesss USB. Oh, and using BIOS the SATA had to be switched to legacy mode to get it running well.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Oh, and I've got it on an old Pentium machine too, but with just 128 MB of ram and a burnt-out USB controller it's not of much use...

Posted on: 2016/5/29 4:52

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
As part of the display I was thinking about showing AROS running 8 bit emulation, specifically C64. Does anyone know of any games or demos that can be legally downloaded and used with VICE?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/6/8 12:32

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.