Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Showing AROS at Recursion computer fair in July

From Germany
Group:

Posted on: 2016/6/8 20:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Thanks - I'll have a look at that.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 9:45

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Just back from the fair. It was quite busy, although the demographic felt different from lat year - fewer, shall I say, 'children of the 8/16 bit' generation there, and more, well, children. So the interactive Hollywood presentation I'd prepared on the virtues of AROS didn't see much action, and neither did the classic games running under Janus, but Cube 2 rarely had a quiet moment! Eventually I gave up and took the presentation off the laptop and ran Hurrican, and immediately that machine became very popular...

The younger children seemed to enjoy the drawing tablet, but AROSBot didn't engage much interest, which is probably for the best as one of the H-bridges seems to have stopped working (probably a dry solder joint - the most recent solder I've bought seems to have the melting point of titanium and an aversion to attaching to anything metal...) Anyway, I had a chat with some guys who make robots for education and got a few ideas from them for AROSBot mk 2.

It was nice to see Severin again showing his OS4 machine and Amikit running on an Odroid plaform, and it was good to chat with the RiscOS guys swapping notes on our niche operating systems. On the down side, my A1200 seems to have chosen the show to die. It had been showing PPC Doom but locked up, and after that refused to put out a video signal. I do have another A1200 motherboard, but that's currently running our central heating system. However, with the ethernet control boards I've been playing with I had been thinking of replacing this with an AROS machine (also to act as a media server and for web browsing via living room TV), so, if the one machine cannot be revived, I could swap in this other motherboard.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: Well, I powered up my A1200 at home (with all the drives unplugged, as I left it from the show whilst attempting to get something out of it) and the 'insert a disk' animation came up. So, it is still alive. What made the difference at the show? I know from experience these old machine can be very fussy about power supply levels - booting from one psu but not a (nominally) identical one. Where all the machines in the hall running off multiple power bars plugged into the few sockets around the room dropping the power levels so much that the A1200 jut didn't want to know?

Anyway, if we do this next year I don't think I'll be taking my A500 or A1200 along - I spend too long fussing around trying to get them working (and stay working). Instead I might take my fourth AROS machine - an ancient pentium with just 128 MB of ram - to show how AROS can be used on old hardware that people might have gathering dust in the loft. Or maybe just so the chlldren can play Primate Plunge...

Posted on: 2016/7/2 9:49

Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/3 6:43:26

From Ireland
Group:
Hi Nigel. Thanks for promoting AROS again this year. I'm glad your A1200 survived the road trip!

Posted on: 2016/7/4 9:17

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
So, here's what I'm planning to show at this year's Stratford Recursion computer fair:

On the core 2 duo desktop I'm running Cube2 and the classic Speedball via Janus, to be played simultaneously via a usb dual joystick controller for Cube2 and an 80s vintage joystick for Speedball (interfaced via the gameports on the Lyra keyboard). The idea is not just to show the 3D and emulation capabilities of AROS, but also how powerful Trident is, being able to configure the different inputs to be directed to the two programs. Now, I tried this trick a couple of years ago but I found that whichever program was not in focus ran slowly. However, trying it now they are both running fine - I guess AROS has got a bit faster in the last couple of years

On the core 2 duo laptop I'm running my 'all about AROS' presentation made in Hollywood designer. It's the one from last year but I've tried to make it a bit more visually engaging with AROS 'eyes' as the bullet points for the tables of contents which spin around when the pointer is over them. Most pages also have a slideshow of images and there's an embedded video to show OWB accessing YouTube.

I'm taking along the pentium desktop, mainly to show that AROS can run on really old Intel hardware. On this one I've made a little Hollywood app that, when icons from the top level draws in sys: are dropped on it, it gives information about the contents of that draw. The idea is to demonstrate the logical layout there (as compared to, say, Windows...) Running alongside that will be Primate Plunge, to give the children something to play on if their parent's are looking through sys:.

On the Samsung I'll have something I've been working on for the day job via Hollywood's RapaGUI. It started off as a interactive whiteboard program as we've been having some issues with the commercial software here; currently it's pretty limited but you can draw vector freehand objects in different colours (and erase them), either to a multi-page blank document or a copy of the desktop and save off the results as a PDF. I'm hoping to expand it to a full vector drawing program, but that's some way off yet. Anyway, I've been getting a bit annoyed at the Windows and Mac adverts saying how clever thay are that you can draw over the screen with them. Now, I was planning to show AROS playing a DVD anyway, so I though why not combine the two? I've added a video layer to the program so you can play a video in the window and happily draw all over it with the frehand tool (either with the video playing or paused). I never did get the touchscreen working for the laptop (the only one I could find in the correct size was on glass, which was just too thick and, unfortunately, fragile...) so the drawing will have to be via our graphics tablet.

I'm looking forwards to the show, and I hope the visitors find the displays interesting.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/23 16:02

From Ireland
Group:
Thanks for all the effort you're putting into the show Nigel.

Posted on: 6/25 16:48

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
Thanks for all the effort you're putting into the show Nigel.

Thanks - but small beer compared to what you devs put in...

Below are the screenshots from three of the machines.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Attach file:

jpg  info.jpg (197.87 KB)
813_59518210e6dbf.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Doodle.jpg (106.91 KB)
813_5951825496b04.jpg 1024X600 px

jpg  games.jpg (381.62 KB)
813_59518268c7381.jpg 1280X1024 px

Posted on: 6/26 14:53

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I've just has a look at the floorplan for this and it's clear Richard (the organiser) has a wicked sence of humour - he's put us Amiga people right next to the Atrari display...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/29 10:43

From Ireland
Group:
At least we might argue with them instead of amongst ourselves

Posted on: 6/29 16:18

Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
I've just has a look at the floorplan for this and it's clear Richard (the organiser) has a wicked sence of humour - he's put us Amiga people right next to the Atrari display...

Cheers,
Nigel.

why is it wicked? never understood this weird antagonism. the systems are clearly related, not only technically, but even because of individuals involved.

today, you can share a vampire board, or a mist ;).

Posted on: 6/29 22:31

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.