Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Showing AROS at Recursion computer fair in July

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Neil,
I promise to be on my best behaviour

Hi wawa,
That's just my sence of humour...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/30 8:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From East Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Nigel,

I'll be heading over to the fair again this year, I'll pop by and say hello.

Mike.

Posted on: 6/30 9:20

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
See you there then!

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. I'd like to pick your brains if I may - I've an idea to use an RPi as an audio player client for the AROS media server I'm putting togeter, and I'm wondering if it would be possible using RiscOS on the Pi.

Posted on: 6/30 11:29

Edited by ntromans on 2017/6/30 11:52:53

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
The show went off successfully today and looked pretty well attended, although it was competing with one of the no doubt many festivals that go on in Stratford during the summer. It was mentioned that next year the show might be moved earlier to avoid these clashes; I think March would be a good choice, as weekends at the start of the year tend to be pretty sparse for events.

As always, there was a dizzying array of classic, indeed even vintage machines on display, although not so much for the Amiga-derived systems. Severin did not come along this year (although there was a space reserved for him - hope all is OK there), so aside from my AROS machines there was just one A1200 on show from the Retro Computer Museum collection. Maybe next time I really will need to see if there's any way to get my classics there in a condition in which that will actually boot...

Being next door to the Atari diesplay definitely did not lead to a rehash of old battles, as Dave Dewson and his lovely family had brough along Atari 8 bits (ones designed by Jay Miner, and it was pointed out that there can be seen a lot of similarities between its hardware design and that of the Amiga), and that Dave still has his A1200 running at home. We spent time agreeing over how great PageStream was/is and bemoaning the fact its erswhile author has not sold it on or open sourced it for further development. I passed on a CD of Icaros Light to him, and hopefully he'll be popping in here at some point.

Mike did indeed popped across to have a chat and gave me some good pointers as to my idea of an RPi + RiscOS as an audio client. Unfortunately being by myself this year (all the rest of the family had other places to be) I didn't really get chance to look around the other exhibits, but it seemed the RiscOS group had a strong display. I was also a bit pathetic in that I didn't get around to taking pictures, but Stuart Williams of Retro Computing News did, and I guess they will be appearing in due course on his web-site.

As well as the many computers, there was a portable planatarium, various VR and robotics displays and even a scale sized scafold for a church bell...

In terms of my display, gameplay on Cube2 was once again the biggest pull. For some bizzarre reason, none of the children wished to play Speedball II, which I always though was an excellent game. The doodling activity went down well, though.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 7/1 14:08

From Ireland
Group:
Sounds good Nigel. Maybe Speedball II has a bit of a learning curve, what with all the different ways to score etc.

I'd like to get to this show some time. July would be more tempting than March though

Posted on: 7/3 15:32

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.