Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: YAM & HTML

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I've been having a play around, and actually got somewhere with this. I've found:

- Hollywood and manipulate YAM via its rexx port without a crash, and, with a bit of slight-of-hand, get the rexx data back.

- I've just got Hollywood to act as a web server, sending a html file to OWB.

So, it should be possible to do this:

- Note you have a html e-mail and invoke a Hollywood program either manually or possibly in YAM (I haven't tied this bit yet).

- The Hollywood program pulls the html file out of YAM and sets up itself as a web server.

- Hollywood opens owb pointing at its server address.*

- Hollywood sends html file to OWB.

The point where the wheels come off is *, as, as tomek has noted, if you try (with the web server on 0.0.0.0),

owb "html://0.0.0.0"

from the command line it takes several minutes for OWB to open (although for me it doesn't crash and does load the html file, although I did set the stack in the shell to 1000000 before running owb). Oddly, if you run OWB from the shell with the name of a local html file it loads immediately. The work around for this problem will be to just start OWB with no argument and then have a bookmark for the Hollywood web server.

A question for the browser gurus out there - what command is sent from a web server to tell a browser to update its page? If I could do this the Hollywood program could automatically send a new e-mail to owb when you look at another html e-mail. Also, is there a command the server can send to tell the the browser to load a page from new address (ideally in a new window)? If so, this could be used to load web links in the e-mail.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: Just started the Hollywood server from a YAM script menu entry (started as a dos script rather than rexx), so that bit is easy enough. Alternatively you could start up the server with YAM and close it down when YAM closes and get YAM to tell it to load a html file via Hollywood's rexx port (so long as that doesn't crash rexx).

Edit 2: I'm being dim; just get YAM to run a small Hollywood program that just sends a message to the server's ordinary message port - no need for rexx for this bit.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 10:44

Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/7 11:12:32
Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/7 11:15:11
Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/7 11:36:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Poland
Group:
What do You think about trying to use Snug HTTP server from Martin's Server Suite instead of Hollywood?

Posted on: 2016/7/7 11:58

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi tomek,
The advantage with Hollywood is its completely programmable (as it is a programming language), so you can make it do whatever you want.

However, there's a big problem - whilst some YAM rexx commands work, the one to save a message always crashes Regina Helper. Now that is frustrating!

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 12:43

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Fixed! Very simply too - rather than sending the commands in one go (the one line rexx program approach), just sending them sequentially from Hollywood does the trick - I can now save off the html part from the message for OWB to read. So now I just need to put the bits together, but it's a bit late to do that tonight.

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. another question for the knowlegeable - is the local host address always 0.0.0.0? If so, I can hard code the Hollywood server to that.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 15:21

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I tried the 'script execution on double-click' today in YAM and it worked fine - I can receive the url in Hollywood. So, everything is actually sorted at the YAM end; the issue is driving OWB. I've though of these options:

(1) Just do it manually. Set a bookmark for the server, hit refresh when you have a new e-mail to look at, and have Hollywood push the double-clicked url to the clipboard so it can be pasted into OWB's address bar. This is the easiest option, but hardly the seamless integration wished for - it's just one step up from manually saving off the file from YAM etc.

(2) Drive OWB via the rexx interface. This would make the job trivial, except for the fact our OWB hasn't got one. However, Fab's original did have. So I do have to ask - Deadwood, would it be easy to add the rexx port code back in from Fab's original? If it's any sort of real work then it's not worthwhile (this is after all just an attempt to make things a bit more convenienet).

(3) Make Hollywood generate dynamic web pages. Get the page to update every 10 seconds or so, and add links for viewed e-mails and clicked urls. The regular updates could get very anoying, though.

(4) Wite a javascript program to run in OWB which communicates with the Hollywood server and responds to new e-mails and so on. Problem there is I don't know javascript and don't really have the time at the moment to get into it. Saying that I don't know html either so (3) could be a bit more challenging too, but probably not as much as javascript.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: On reflection, I think I might go for a hybrid of (1) and (3). Manually start OWB and select/refresh the server's web page, but this main page is dynamically updated with links to new e-mails and clicked urls. So you select a new e-mail/url and hit refersh in OWB to see the link to it.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 11:14

Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/8 14:28:57

From Poland
Group:
For some time I thought about buying Hollywood, but I'm afraid that it is too big tool for my needs and skills.
In addition, I use AROS on the small netbook screen. It can be an obstacle to the program interface. The license for two operating systems is seems to be more expensive than one?

Posted on: 2016/7/9 0:26

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi tomek,
You would not need a copy of Hollywood - once the program is written using Hollywood I'll just compile it and put it up on AROS-archives. Sorry, I didn't quite undertsand the reference to two operating systems? All you will need is AROS, YAM, OWB and the new program to glue them together.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: I should probably explain what I'm thinking of. The new linking software would actually be in four parts:

(1) The main server. This would be started from YAM using the script to be executed on startup option. It would then sit in memory waiting for messages fom the other three programs.

(2) A small program which is called using YAM's on reading mail script option. This would look at the mail and if it finds a html part send this to the server, along with some deyails of the e-mail so it can be recognised (sender, subject and date).

(3) A small program wich is called using YAM's on double-clicking URL script option. This woul send the URL to the server along with the parent e-mail's details.

(4) A small program to message the server to close down; this would be run from YAM's on program termination script option.

The data would be accessed from the server by OWB calling up something like 0.0.0.0/index which would pull up a 'contents' page of html messages and URLs that the server will dynamically generate. Clicking on these links will open new windows with the message or URL page. If new data is sent to the server, hit the refresh button for the inex page to see it.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 2:37

Edited by ntromans on 2016/7/9 5:06:22

From Poland
Group:
OK. Now I understand. Thank you in advance. I think it would be useful program.

This question concerned Hollywood because I more often thought about buying it. I see price 99 EUR for copy and I think this is aplication for one selected OS. If I want to have Hollywood (platform) for Windows and for AROS I need to buy two copies (?) Am I right?

Posted on: 2016/7/9 5:10

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi tomek,
The most powerful feature of Hollywood is that you buy the Amiga version (which has executables for AROS, AOS3, AOS4 & MorphOS) but you can compile programs not just for any of these systems but also Windows, Linux, MacOS and Android. In my new job this year I've been quite busy developing educational applications on my AROS boxes but then compiling them for use at work*. On top of that, Hollywood can now be used (via RapaGUI) for creating GUI based applications for all these systems. Plus you've got Hollywood's multimedia capabilites, easy networking functions, even access to OpenGL routines.

By the way, please be patient for the YAM program - life is a bit busy for me at the moment so it will be a case of doing bits of it when I get a spare few minutes.

Cheers,
Nigel.

* And in doing so I realised the programming framework I'd been busily creating in Hollywood was far too MUI-centric, and in trying to abstract it I managed to break it big-time. Stuff I had been working on (like NetFiler, which was about 60% done) basically will not compile until I manage to straighten out the issues, which I haven't had time to do as I've been busy writing things for work. OK, and playing with AROSBot

Posted on: 2016/7/9 12:17

From Colorado, USA
Group:
Quote:

tomek wrote:
This question concerned Hollywood because I more often thought about buying it. I see price 99 EUR for copy and I think this is aplication for one selected OS. If I want to have Hollywood (platform) for Windows and for AROS I need to buy two copies (?) Am I right?

No. Buying one copy comes with all the versions. There is only one keyfile per person under normal circumstances.

@ntromans
Since you said your framework was too MUI-centric, does that mean you're shifting from MUI Royale to RapaGUI?

Posted on: 2016/7/9 17:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.